Why do my parents not want me to smoke weed?

engineer

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:25 am
@xSOADXX075,
Some of my most vivid memories in life come from high school. You are undergoing a period of rapid development, physically, mentally, emotionally. Why do you want to dull those memories? As someone else said, use pot at 15 and the next thing you know, you're 18. My take is you want to experience these years to the fullest rather than sail through them in a pleasant fog.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
You guys do realize this thread is from last year, yes?
mismi

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:28 am
@JPB,
no...I do forget to look. Dang.
JPB

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:30 am
@mismi,
The advice still applies but the original poster may not be the one to read it.
mismi

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:33 am
@JPB,
well...I am playing mostly - I just read the first post because it was on new topics list and read down a little...didn't even think to look when it was originally posted...or who pulled it up and why. I just was responding mostly to Joe's "join the circus or the Republican Party" comment. Ha. Wink I am a dufus. It's okay. I accept it. Razz
panzade

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:34 am
@mismi,
lay off the weed mismi Rolling Eyes
mismi

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:37 am
@panzade,
kiss my butt panzade Very Happy
panzade

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:46 am
@mismi,
touche pussycathttp://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5342/slap4.gif
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:50 am
I guess they don't want you smoking weed for the same reason they don't want you drinking alcohol unsupervised at 15.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:47 am
The biggest reasons your parents don't want you to (or shouldn't want you to at least) smoke weed is because:

1) It's illegal, and they are responsible for you legally.

2) It can prevent you from getting a job as many entry-level jobs will test you.

Those are pretty damned good reasons.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 11:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

The biggest reasons your parents don't want you to (or shouldn't want you to at least) smoke weed is because:

1) It's illegal, and they are responsible for you legally.

2) It can prevent you from getting a job as many entry-level jobs will test you.

Those are pretty damned good reasons.

JPB on 8/13/09 wrote:
You guys do realize this thread is from last year, yes?
Robert Gentel

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I knew that it's old, but over 1,000 people have arrived here from search engines since it was posted, and will continue to do so. There are many more people reading the answers to the question than the original poster.

The advice I gave isn't going to expire in the next few years either.
0 Replies

xenonspork

Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:35 pm
To some of those answers. Jeez man! You can't just say 'This is the answer' to people. There is no yes or no from someone else. It's his decision. Half of the people answering are telling him not to do it - did he ask for this? NO! He asked a different question.

The reason they don't want you to do it is because it's against the law and it can have health hazards. I smoke it myself and although I love MaryJane with all my heart it's not good for you. The thing is I don't think it's that bad for you. In my belief (and it is belief as there is no good evidence for or against mariujuana - except that it cannot kill you) it can increase the risk of psychosis and makes previous mental disorders worse. The only problem is you do not know if you have a previous underlying mental disorder... The chances you do is sooooooooo small but you could...

And the risk increases with the amoung you smoke, naturally, so they probably think you will get addicted which could, potentially, do you harm.

And as for the grades. I'm 100% that the weed didn't make you smarter. It MAY have relieved you of stress and so helped improve your concentration in class leading to better grades. I believe myself to be in the same position as you, I am 16 and smoke (quite a lot) and my parents (especially my mum) dislike me smoking it. They do allow me to though every weekend (even though I do every day). And I was smoking all the way through my GCSEs (big exams) and i got 6 As and an A* so it doesn't neccessarily stop you getting good grades. It does affect your motivation however. Anyway that's my view.
Peace
0 Replies

vibes

Wed 12 May, 2010 01:41 pm
alot of you need to stop with the,"drugs are mmmkay?" ignorance.marijuana has NOT been linked to causing cancer or mental illness.im not a user(my job random drug tests) but i educated myself to the facts when i did use.and no, im not condoning use. im just saying if you want to do it, so be it.dont let others tell you what you can and cant do with your body.moderacy is the key to life though.so dont overdo it.let marijuana revolve around your life.not the other way around.

annual deaths-
tobacco:400,000
alcohol:25,000
aspirin:500+
ecstacy:0(very rare is there a death, if so, was caused by dehydration)
marijuana?:0
educate yourselves.....nuff said

~~~peace~~~
0 Replies

StickyGreenBudz

Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
I can guarantee weed makes me smarter, it opens my mind. The higher i get the more my mind is working. Even sober people point out that im more into reality when im stoned then when im sober. Maybe your just not smart.
Robert Gentel

Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:36 pm
@StickyGreenBudz,
StickyGreenBudz wrote:
I can guarantee weed makes me smarter, it opens my mind.

I actually agree that it can, it can certainly make you appreciate (or at least entertain) more abstract thoughts, it can make you more introspective and it's changing the way you think on some fundamental levels.

But at the same time, it inhibits memory in the short term, so certain kinds of learning are more difficult.

Quote:
The higher i get the more my mind is working.

So it makes you think, huh? That can be fun but I wouldn't go so far as saying it's making you any "smarter".

Quote:
Even sober people point out that im more into reality when im stoned then when im sober. Maybe your just not smart.

Glad you are into reality. Here is some basic grammar that I'm sure you've been taught but that for whatever reason didn't stick:

your = possession
you're = you are
0 Replies

Gargamel

Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:21 am
@StickyGreenBudz,
StickyGreenBudz wrote:

I can guarantee weed makes me smarter, it opens my mind. The higher i get the more my mind is working. Even sober people point out that im more into reality when im stoned then when im sober. Maybe your just not smart.

Be careful not to become one of those kids who thinks his weed habit makes him interesting. Like don't start drawing pot leaves on your Trapper Keeper (I know you don't know what that is, but just bear with me) and wearing t-shirts that endorse pot use in code your parents don't understand but your friends do. Because these things can lead to even more severe personality defects, like wanking off on a guitar for hours, posting shitty poetry online (about death, or weed), and building a lamp that's secretly a bong in your level-two art class.
panzade

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:20 am
@Gargamel,
Sticky!
Now you listen to ol' Uncle Garg, He's been there and done it.
dlowan

Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:12 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Sticky!
Now you listen to ol' Uncle Garg, He's been there and done it.

We all have...if we remember the seventies.

Yawn.
0 Replies

meganmarie

Fri 11 Feb, 2011 12:43 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Well its not right when yhur parents wont let you do it, but they do it there self. WTF
0 Replies