Ya' take the good, ya' take the bad, ya' take 'em both and there ya' have....

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:50 am
I guess what I was getting at was wondering if Mo wants to know where babies come from, as opposed to what sexual intercourse, the penis in the vagina thing is

Jillian is of course much younger, so doesn't apply exactly to mo.

Does Mo want to know how babies grow in a woman's body, how it developes from 1 cell to a human, or the act of sex?

If he see pictures of sperm and egg under a microscope, will he immediately wonder how the sperm got there, or at first take it as a given it's just "there"?

Since mo's not going to be having sex anytime in the next few months (I hope), why not let the education progress in steps, just like everything else he learns does?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:39 am
We did this maybe a year ago...? We'd talked about it as it came up from when she was teeny-tiny (general M.O. for things you're not sure they're "ready" for -- answer all questions, but answer more generally at first. If the kids ask more specific follow-up questions, answer those. Follow their lead.) but it became clear she was ready for more substance. We got a book that I think we talked about here, called "It's So Amazing!" I was happy with it (and it included good stuff about adoption).

Yes, the fact that she could read it to herself really removed an element of complication. She seemed to prefer that. She had some questions afterwards but seemed mostly satisfied with just the book.

Does the book you got have a lot of pictures? If so, you can maybe still give it to Mo to look at on his own, and then go the answering-questions route, as there will probably be a lot of them...

One thing I've found with this and other educational moments is that it isn't really a one-time thing; even if they get it completely in that moment, they still need to circle back to cement knowledge. So there are still things we're discussing now, even though she read the book a while ago.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:51 am
Maybe the local high school Hygiene teacher can recommend something? There might be a DVD, video, or something that is used professionally?
squinney

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:16 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

A little side story: I have friends with twins, a boy and a girl. They're two years old now and the girl is a bit more advanced and more aggressive. She always
asks for her brother's toys and usually she just points to it and says: gimme that!
When they were both sitting in the bathtub with their duckies, she asked for
all duckies and she got them. Then she pointed at his penis and said: "Gimme that!" and her brother replied "No, it's attached!" Very Happy

Too cute!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:17 am
@Foofie,
My mom bought us a book and read it to us - I still remember it had a pink cover - and whenever we had a babysitter - my sisters and I would go get it and look at the little stick figure pictures having sex and laugh and laugh...I was about seven or eight I guess - old enough to read it myself and to my little sisters.
It didn't gross me out or upset or scare me in any way - she presented it very matter of factly- that was that.

With my kids - my son saw a package of sanitary napkins (sorry guys - hope this isn't too graphic) and asked me what they were and what they were for. He was about four. So I explained it - told him about the woman's monthly cycle - what it could lead to and when a woman would need the sanitary napkins and that she wouldn't if she were pregnant - which led to how most women get pregnant (these days there are all sorts of different ways) and/or acquire children- including adoption- which he WAS familiar with as his little sister had been adopted. Before this - he figured he must have been adopted too - he thought that was how ALL people got their new babies...he told me he was going to adopt because he believed that was the BEST way to get babies... I told him he might change his mind or his wife might have different ideas - but if he still wanted to later- that'd be great.
We even talked about birth control- and also breast feeding-
he's a very intelligent kid - so he just sort of nodded and soaked it all up.

My daughter saw a picture of me pregnant with her brother when she was about three. She said, 'Mommy - you were so fat...' I told her I was pregnant and looked fat because her brother as a baby had been growing in my belly.'
She said, 'Where's a picture of me growing in your belly?'
I told her I didn't have one because she grew in someone else's belly, but that woman wasn't able to care for her, so she chose us to.
She just nodded- I think it was harder for me than it was for her - up until then, I'd been the only mother she knew of - now I knew I was sharing that position in her thoughts with someone else.
Although she's sixteen now and has absolutely no interest in meeting her birth family - she says she's happy with me as her only mom- her dad as her only father - and her brother as her only sibling.

I went over the whole menstruation and sex thing with her fairly early - we talk about everything in my family. If they ask - I tell them the truth.
I think it's scarier to children if they feel that something is being kept secret from them - then it gains an air of mystery and maybe even forboding- instead of just being a part of life.

But every kid is different.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:32 am
Boomer - If he asked before, he'll ask again. I would wait for him to bring it up and, as Sozobe suggested, follow his lead based on the questions he asks.

I was very open about discussing sex, where babies come from and anatomy with the kids from an early age. I tried to make sure it wasn't treated as a secret, dirty or embarrasing thing so they would be comfortable. They asked questions, I asked it back to them to find out what they thought or to clarify what they were really asking and then responded based on what they said.

Mo's quite the thinker, so I'd really want to know what he thinks he knows before answering. You have good instincts. Trust yourself.

As far as Dad talking to boys and Mom talking to girls, I really don't think that needs to be the case. That kinda implies there is something embarassing about our bodies and that we should be uncomfortable talking to the opposite sex about it. Our bodies are beautiful and wonderful. Sharing it with someone we love is the most beautiful gift we can give. That is what I preferred to convey to my children. Love and respect for ones own body AND the other persons body was an important part of the conversation from very early on in their questioning.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:53 am
Thanks all!

Mo and I did midwife a litter of puppies, watching all 10 of them be born, so he probably knows more about birth than most city kids.

I do think he's already getting some stupid ideas from school kids and I don't want those ideas to take hold or to prevent him from feeling comfortable talking to us about it. That's the only reason I would try to force a conversation instead of letting it happen organically.

This is the book I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Girls-Body-Science-First/dp/1550172360. I think it was a pretty good choice.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/20360000/20367677.JPG
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:01 am
@boomerang,
Looks very good!

And lots of pictures... (so what do you think about just giving it to him even if he can't read everything himself, and going from there?)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
@boomerang,
just curious, what are some of the stupid ideas he's getting from other kids?

I distinctly remember kathleen sheehan discussing how a lady got pregnant by swallowing her husbands seeds.

I knew the real story at that time, as did a mutual friend, mary ellen. we just passed a look between the 2 of us and let it slide. we both instinctively knew she wasn't ready to hear the truth.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:59 pm
In a related/unrelated story....

We were channel flipping tonight and came across the Victoria's Secret fashion show when Mo yells "Go back!".

We go back.

"Wow. She has glittery spider webs on her backpack!"

We watch the fantastical butterfly/tree branch/nature girls for a bit....

"Is she supposed to be a bald eagle or something?"

Me: "Those girls are trying to get you to buy something. What do you think that something is?"

Mo: "Wings?"

Mr. B: "Do you think when she farts that those feathers blow around?"

Mo: <snork> "Totally!"

Me: "Really, what do you think they want you to buy?"

Mo: "I have no idea....."

Me: "Underpants. They want you to buy underpants."

Mo: "What!!!? No way. Underpants?...... Do you think we can buy some of those wings?"

Me: "No, sweetheart, I don't think so."

Mo: "It would be funny if you farted."

0 Replies