Am I the only iPhone Grinch?

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:41 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

The iPhone is a holy religious relic, fully devine and fully technical device. Stop your blashphemous heresy now, unclean wabbit! Or, by Steve, I'll blow you up in the name of Jobs, the merciful! (Peace be upon him.)

Well, well. NOW we've scratched the surface and found the brimstone beneath!
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:58 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Is there a way you can do it from your CD collection?

Yep, its the same as a mp3 player. You can rip the CD's to your computer, and then hook the iPhone to the computer via USB, and sync them all over.

You can also download music to the iphone straight from itunes music store, or download applications that will let you listen to Pandora streaming radio.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:01 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

Quote:
Is there a way you can do it from your CD collection?

Yep, its the same as a mp3 player. You can rip the CD's to your computer, and then hook the iPhone to the computer via USB, and sync them all over.

You can also download music to the iphone straight from itunes music store, or download applications that will let you listen to Pandora streaming radio.

Thank you.

Re the Pandora...if only!!!

We can't access it in Australia.....copyright stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:43 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

So those of you who DO use cell phones... do you have a home phone as well?

During the black out the only phone service that worked reliably for close to two weeks was my old land line (I had to dig out the old phone with no add-ons).

I'm not giving that insurance under any circumstances. Neighbours had to come use my phone to check in on family members elsewhere. They only had mobiles, or land lines with answering machines etc.
hamburger

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:33 pm
@ehBeth,
when we were hit by the icestorm in january 1998 the cellphones were useless , only the landlines worked .
i also have an old handheld CB unit that i'm not about to throw away - it always gives me the most up-to-date weather report at any time - directly from the environment canada weather-office .
hbg
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:46 pm
@hamburger,
I have both a cell and a land line. Problems during hurricanes much the same - can only get through on a land line. Just a comfort to have quite honestly.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
Yes, we have a phone system in the house/office that won't work in event of a power outage and there's a good chance the wireless signals could be out too. But we do have one phone in the house that is hooked directly into a phone jack and that one will probably work when none others will.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:13 pm
I gotta question for the iPhone users. Don't you feel a little worried when you're out and about and using it that somebody is going to just swipe it out of your hands and run? It seems like somebody focused on e-mailing and playing with their iPhone would be a pretty easy target. That's what I worry about. I worry that I'll go out and buy one and be screwing with it on the subway or at the park or something and some scumbag is going to grab it while I'm off my guard and just run. That would really piss me off. Don't you iPhoners worry about that?
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:54 pm
@kickycan,
You need more sex.
Reyn

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 12:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You will when you're lost, truly lost, and someone's tech helps you out. Guarantee.

The answer still for me is a simple 'No'. First of all, I don't go anywhere where I would get lost, and even so, since I was a meter reader for nearly 20 years, I don't get lost. Second, I am perfectly capable of reading a paper map (remember those?). That doesn't require expensive technology.
chai2

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 07:32 am
@kickycan,
If I had one I would chain it around my waist.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 07:33 am
@dlowan,
well, yeah....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 09:03 am
@dlowan,
Can't argue with that. Are you offering?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 09:44 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You will when you're lost, truly lost, and someone's tech helps you out. Guarantee.

The answer still for me is a simple 'No'. First of all, I don't go anywhere where I would get lost, and even so, since I was a meter reader for nearly 20 years, I don't get lost. Second, I am perfectly capable of reading a paper map (remember those?). That doesn't require expensive technology.

This luddite attitude is a little ridiculous.

The paper map you use is technology. There's no difference between that and the Iphone. Only in your head.

If you were lost, and somebody had a map, on the iphone - and everyone gets lost from time to time, I don't think your 'meter reading' skills are going to help every place you go for the rest of your life - you would use it, and appreciate it.

Nobody's asking you to buy one, or even use one; but don't treat them as if they are anything different than the tech you are used to, for they are not. Just a newer version.

Cycloptichorn
Reyn

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:07 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

At least I'm not the one being rude and unnecessarily labelling people who don't fit their mindset.

Can't let it be, huh? Please come back one more time with another clever rebuttal.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:21 am
@Reyn,
nah, I already made my point just fine.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 02:15 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Can't argue with that. Are you offering?

Nope.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:27 am
@dlowan,
Well, now, ya see... I listen to a lot of music... so I had an iPod. Loved it. Carried it everywhere I went. AND I had to have a phone. Boring. Annoying to carry around. If only my iPod could make phone calls...

<insert sound of angels and trumpets>

iPhone! Surprised

.... two year later, Shocked Australia gets them. Confused

So anyway, I get mine, and it costs less that my old Nokia & iPod combined, thanks to pretty good Optus plans, yet people still look at me like it's an extremely expensive option. I even get a free GPS system. And you can actually use the internet properly, to the extent that I do actually use it.

BUT the true genius of the iPhone is the application platform. All kinds of companies producing all kinds of applications. Almost 10, 000 available so far. Like the ones I have that show me any piano or guitar chord I want, and the one that I use to tune my guitars and my bagpipes (ok, so I've never quite managed that, but not the point.) And the storm radar. And Facebook. And playing catoons in the car for my kids via youtube. And GoogleTalk. And the Complete Shakespeare. And the "Now Showing" movies near me. And google earth, maps, streetview. And Qantas flight schedule. And Translator, instant conversion of my typing into any language. And I'm too tight to pay so the above are all free apps, some cost hundreds...pro apps for surgeons and chemists and stuff...

Even iQuran.

Don't believe me? Look it up.

And when I'm at home, it automatically connects to and uses my wifi network.

So I confess. I'm one of those zealots who can't help but show it off. But not because it's some kind of stupid status symbol, but because it's just so great to use. It's the biggest change in my life since the original Walkman! Have you SEEN THE LIGHT my friends?

...Although I've heard that other phones have better cameras, so, if you are a photographer, who uses phones, you might want one of those Razz
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Don't be an ass. The key word was "expensive" not "technology".
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:51 am
@DrewDad,
I agree drewdad.

reyn doesn't have the need for the functions of an iphone, so the technology would be expensive and wasteful for him.

Same with me...I need some of the technology, but have access to it where I want it....on my pc. I don't need it while out and about. So, it would be a waste and expensive.

If I was not near a pc much of the time, and I needed to work, the iphone's technology would be worth the expense.

I don't want to have something just to say I have it.

I want something when I have sufficient need for it.
0 Replies