Am I the only iPhone Grinch?

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:05 am
At the staff lunch the other day there was a whole bunch of iphones out on the tables. Their owners are clearly proud of them.

They are cute.....there's a few mildly interesting games (for a while), being able to make water ripple and fish jump by touching them is ok, I guess.

But...what's the fuss about?

Mind you, I am a mobile phone grinch generally.

I don't know my own mobile number.

I leave it off...my message says there's no point leaving a message (but people do...grrrrr).....

I maybe use it a few times a month.....

Anyhoo...what's good about an iphone?

mismi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:07 am
@dlowan,
I care nothing for them...I hardly use my own cell phone to the frustration of my husband and family - I do not plan on getting an Iphone anytime soon...but I am just not a techy person. So I guess I too am an iPhone Grinch. Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:08 am
@mismi,
Yay!!! We have each other!
mismi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:15 am
@dlowan,
it's us against the world....
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:20 am
@dlowan,
Mobile platforms come with extreme usability challenges when it comes to display and input. With their tiny screens, and clumsy keyboards they found very little use as mobile computers and "smartphones" (think computer + phone) were mainly for geeks and corporate users.

There are three popular devices that have long been expected to converge into one: cell phone, music player, and pda (to make it simple, there's also digital camera as a main component in some Asian countries). The cell phone is what is expected to be the all in one device, but poor usability hampered its adoption. Most of the other smartphones out there were absolutely horrible in terms of usability and didn't see mainstream adoption.

The iPhone changed that by making a phone that solved the input and screen size problem elegantly by using a large touch screen, and by making a more usable UI that makes using your phone as a music player or a browser much less of a pain than previous mobile operating systems did. They also managed to get good battery life even while using a much more powerful CPU than most mobile devices use (CPU power tends to drain battery, so most mobiles are underpowered and thusly slow and sluggish).

But the iPhone is a proprietary and closed system from Apple, and while the Google-developed Android phones have yet to produce a hardware design that outdoes the iPhone the fact that their software is open source means that they are likely to be the more robust platform in the future.

What these phones, and their imitators represent is an effort to make mobile computing mainstream.

So if you like to browse the internet away from computers, or listen to your music, or check your email, or get GPS directions, or take photos, or have all your contacts available and synchronized on your phone and your various computers then these phones are good options.
roger

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:20 am
@dlowan,
What is an iPhone?
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
I do like to take pictures.

The rest...not so much.

I HATE being contactable all the time (despite my best efforts work has somehow managed to get my mobile number...grrrrrrr...but I guess they'll just have to learn the hard way that it is only turned on when I have a good reason to have it on.)

The web? Nah. Unless I am travelling for a long time.

Music? I hate noise all the time.

The quality of the camera will likely determine my next mobile phone buy.

But...you are saying for many mobile phone users it is a good thing.

Ok....but can they please stop showing the damn things off all the time?

Wink

It reminds me of digital watches in Hitchhikers' Guide.

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:28 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

What is an iPhone?

Here ya go:

http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:42 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Probably not, this is the "Jesus Phone" after all.

You can always go with "My Phonies"...

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
LISA SIMPSON wants one?

Now...that makes it a little different......

That Jesus phone clip is a keeper.

0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:02 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

Some of it may be showing off, but more then likely it is just a matter of using the device. It is much more then just a phone, and as such lots of its functions require it being out and in focus. If people are browsing the web, watching tv (I think at&t network has tv, right?), or playing games, then they are going to have to make it pretty obvious that they have the device.

If they aren't out and using it often, then they probably don't need one!
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:11 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

Quote:

Some of it may be showing off, but more then likely it is just a matter of using the device. It is much more then just a phone, and as such lots of its functions require it being out and in focus. If people are browsing the web, watching tv (I think at&t network has tv, right?), or playing games, then they are going to have to make it pretty obvious that they have the device.

If they aren't out and using it often, then they probably don't need one!

THEY HAD THEM OUT ON THE TABLE AT CHRISTMAS LUNCH!!!!

They so weren't doing nuttin' with them.

Also.....I think it rude to be surfing and such while supposedly at an important social occasion.

They were showing them off.
margo

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:20 am
@dlowan,
I think there's an obligatory show-off gene that comes with an iPhone.

They have to show them off as soon as they get them - to demonstrate how smart and affluent they are. My boss has one - and had a conniption the other day when the bill came in - apparently there are some unknowns??

Had I been a bit later the other day I would have known Dlowan's mobile number - she was just about to call me when I turned up! Now we'll never know! Confused
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:21 am
@margo,
I DID call you....you just didn't answer.

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:31 am
@dlowan,
Of course, anyone can tell that a lot of this is reaction formation.

THEY'RE CUTE AND I WANT ONE!!!!

And...I am telling myself that the music thing would be a good way of having music when I am out walking.

But I also know they have made them cute like a lolly shop so people will want 'em, and I HATE the maketing stuff and how fashionable they are.

At present, I can sneer loftily and pretend I don't want one.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:31 am
@dlowan,
No sign that I received your call - no number I can't account for...
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:39 am
@margo,
The Shadow knows....
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:43 am
@dlowan,
actually, i didn't really care to have one. I had a blackberry-type phone already...but was looking for a better music player. i have to say i fell in love with the screen after i tried it at the shop, especially for photos and videos. just yesterday, at a friend's birthday party, someone (a professional photographer) was showing us his photos from Italy. We were glued to it for an hour. Can't do that with most phones. so it's the combination of audio and visual user-centered features that i like.
oh, and the ability to find directions while lost also saved my ass a few times.
so, this from an accidental convert - i switched to iPhone after i tried it out, not knowing or caring to know much about it before.
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:14 am
@dagmaraka,
You happy with it?

(Don't you go on the ice if you are, little goatette).
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
So if you like to browse the internet away from computers, or listen to your music, or check your email, or get GPS directions, or take photos, or have all your contacts available and synchronized on your phone and your various computers then these phones are good options.

Actually, I don't. I use a cellphone for basically one reason.................to make and receive calls. I have a computer at home, and a CD Walkman player, (that's right, I am a bit behind the times, but it works for me). I have a GPS in my car. I have an excellent DSLR camera. I have taken a few pics on the phone, but I have never uploaded them. The most important one is the picture that I took to use as wallpaper on the phone.

Very few people have my cellphone number. My reasoning is that there is nothing that important that can't wait until I can get home and hear the message on my phone answering machine.

My husband, brother and son have my number, 'cause if they have anything important to say, they will be able to reach me. Under certain special circumstances, I have given the number out to a few friends, but they know not to call me on it, unless it is an absolute emergency. When I am at home, the cellphone is off.

I don't carry a handbag. Therefore, I want the smallest phone possible. Right now, I have a three year old Razr 3 that is off contract already. At the time THAT phone was the cat's meow, and now it is considered a dinosaur. It is fine for me. I will use it until it dies, and then I will get another basic phone, as long as the phone is of high quality, with excellent sound and connectivity.
0 Replies