Sikh guy with long hair suffering from "traction alopecia".... what to do?

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 04:49 pm
i m a sikh guy with long hair. i m suffering with traction alopecia. my religion doesn't allow me to cut my hair. but my doctor is suggesting to have a head shave, which i dont want to do. do i have any other option?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 7,399 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 05:57 pm
@abcdefgh,
Might help if you told us what 'traction alopecia' is. I, for one, have no idea.
sullyfish6

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 06:03 pm
Info from Google:

In the early stages of hair loss, you may also need to discontinue all forms of styling your hair. The hair follicles need to rejuvenate and grow hair as if you were starting out as a baby. With any kind of hair damage, you must determine how bad it is as well, how much of the head and hair was damaged by this process.

Once you have determined these facts a doctor can prescribe treatment as well as recommending alternatives. The best-prescribed treatment is to stop causing tension to the hair follicles now. The hair needs to grow out and remain loose in order to grow properly. Society does not warn about improper hair care, but is quick to provide some questionable remedies to the problem. Do not be fooled into thinking, as many are that your hair grows back after years of abuse. This is not going to happen.

You must follow your Dr.'s orders to get this condition under control

God does not want you to be sick or become deformed. How can you serve your God if you are sick?

So cut your hair, get treatment, let your hair follicles heal and breathe, keep your scalp clean - and wear a wig when you go out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 06:36 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Might help if you told us what 'traction alopecia' is. I, for one, have no idea.

It's obviously hair loss caused by the weight of the hair pulled up in the bun...Sikh men are supposed to never cut their hair, and they wear it up under their turbans.

Bummer, eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_alopecia

Here's some ideas:

http://hair-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/traction_alopecia

http://www.traction-alopecia.com/

Can you pile it loosely under the turban??????
abcdefgh

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 03:40 pm
@dlowan,
right now, i am not wearing turban from last few days..... i keep my hair open only or sometimes in pony tail..... actually my hair is very long, its like few inches past my waist so keping so much of long hair open is also like.... u cn undrstd.... so thats why i was asking if i had any other option otherwise i have to get a head-shave...
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 03:45 pm
@abcdefgh,
I'd have thought the ponytail would be problematic?

I'm sorry, I really do not know.

abcdefgh

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:03 pm
@dlowan,
no, see, as such i dont have any prblm in keeping my hair open or in ponytail.... but still i mean keeping such long hair open is also like..... but since i ws nt hving any other option, i m doing it...
chai2

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 06:07 pm
@abcdefgh,
why not just pile it loosely on top of your head, and fasten with a pick or soft ponytail holder?

that would take the weight off your head.

Or, just let yourself go bald.

Of course this is a woman below, but somthing like this...
No weight on the head, and out of the way.

You could gently wrap it around and fasten.

http://www.hji.co.uk/hjimages/images/qhs2410/hji/medium/1984-curls-long.jpg
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 06:27 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I'd have thought the ponytail would be problematic?

I agree. When I was a kid, ponytails were a very popular hairstyle. I had a teenage neighbor who had very thick hair, and a long ponytail. She started losing her hair.

The doctor told her that the pressure of the pull on her hair from the rubber band holding the ponytail was causing her hair to fall out. The doctor told her not to pull her hair back, or she would have to cut her hair short.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:23 pm
@chai2,
Cool. That's what I was trying to say, but badlier.
chai2

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:18 pm
@dlowan,
I'd like to have her hair
0 Replies

abcdefgh

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:48 pm
@chai2,
ponytail is like just sometimes.... i have tried ur way also but since my hair is a bit longer so in that case i am having prblm in tying turban then..... so as i said i usually keep my hair open only as suggested by some ppl... but i know that also is not a permanent solution. my doctor is saying that for few days, its ok but then for getting ridof this prblm i have to shave off my hair & this is terrible for me even for thinking also.....
roger

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:11 pm
@abcdefgh,
Is it okay to let it hang loose at night? I don't know, but this might be better than having it wrapped all the time. I'm not sure what you can get away with.
abcdefgh

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:20 pm
@roger,
ur correct..... thats better..... not only at night, now i dont tie my hair, i let it loose only..
abcdefgh

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 03:37 am
@abcdefgh,
so now, finally the day has arrived which i have not even thought of will happen with me. today one more sikh has died & new inder has emerged. i was literally shocked when i saw mirror after that. but thanks to 2 of my best friends who were with me whole time. as they were aware this would not be an easy task for me.
the scenario goes like this-----

we(me & 2 of my friends, a boy (umesh) & a sikh girl (harshneet)). (the girl was getting my feelings as she is also a sikh.), sat together & decided that if i have to b healthy then i have to go through this trauma. then finally i decided to get a head-shave. firstly at home only, umesh said he will shave my beard. i havn't even trimmed my beard & now i have to just shave it off. the time when the first snip of scissor is done, i was like about to cry, but somehow i managed to resist myself, then after shaving my beard, we went to a saloon. the hair dresser was really shocked when i said just take all my hair off my head.... but then we told him the scenario & he also felt very bad.

the good thing was both of my friends were with me whole time. i was shivering when i saw the razor in his hands. then the barber washed my hair,i was thinking that bbyee my beautiful, long, silky hair,,,,, this is the last hair wash for them..... the barber also said that "Sir i have even trimmed many girl's hair but your hair is very beautifull, its silky at its fullest.... then after the hair wash comes the time of shaving.....

Umesh said that he will do the first run of razor. so he did. From the time he just kept the razor on my forehead, i was like crying very badly.... thanks to harshneet that she was there to take care of me otherwise i would ahve fainted.

then slowly & steadily the barber was running razor on my head & it was like someone is just breaking my heart. i was crying badly like a kid there.... then when the whole of my hair wa shaved off, then i just picked all my hair from ground & kept it with me.... i am still in trauma for this has happened to me but i think this is life... sometimes unexpected things happen... i will try to grow my hair back but i sont think that much long hair bcoz i have seen many of my sikh friends cutting their hair saying that they will grow back again but they hvn't grown.... i will try to grow my hair back again..... but this has been a very difficult time for me....
dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 04:13 am
@abcdefgh,
Hope you feel better soon.

abcdefgh

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 05:07 am
@dlowan,
ya i also just hope that i return to a normal state of mind soon,.........

btw, can anyone suggest me something so that i can regrow my hair soon......
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:54 am
I wonder how God would view your exaggerated pridefulness about your hair.

Perhaps this is all in His plan.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:54 am
Ya know, there was no reason to shave your head if it's against your religion.

First off, you're not ill, you're not unhealthy.

Your hair was falling out because too much tension was put on it. period.

The obvious solution was to pile your hair in a loose fashion on your head, let it go loose, or let yourself go bald.

You chose vanity and a lot of drama over the common sense solution that followed your religious practices.

So be it. Amen.

abcdefgh

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 03:51 pm
@chai2,
ya as u said the solution was
1. piling my hair loosly on head - i tried but then it was difficult to wear turban,...

2. let my hair go loose - from last many days i was doing that but since the length was too much so the tension on scalp was not reduced....

3. "let yourself go bald" - so when nothing worked, i choose this option..... even if it was against my religion.....

its nearly horrible for me to see myself in dis way but this is fate...

now i just need some suggestion to regrow my hair fast.......