Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:55 pm
I have a String of 200 mini lights and they all worked when I tested them. After I put them up outside on the rain gutter the 3rd. set of 50 from the plug end went out and the 1st., 2nd., and 4th set of 50 are still lit. What is the problem? I replaced the 2 fuses on the plug end and I didn't see any fuses on the other end. I also checked to see if there was any broken lights or wires and there are none.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,313 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by gymdandi
Butrflynet
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:47 pm
@gymdandi,
Might be an individual bulb in that section that has burned out. Usually they include some spare bulbs with the sets for that purpose. You'll probably need to do a trial and error starting at one end of the section and moving from bulb to bulb replacing each bulb with the spare until the replacement bulb makes the whole string light up again.

Foofie

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 09:11 pm
@gymdandi,
gymdandi wrote:

I have a String of 200 mini lights and they all worked when I tested them. After I put them up outside on the rain gutter the 3rd. set of 50 from the plug end went out and the 1st., 2nd., and 4th set of 50 are still lit. What is the problem? I replaced the 2 fuses on the plug end and I didn't see any fuses on the other end. I also checked to see if there was any broken lights or wires and there are none.

Not that I am correct, but could the 3rd set of 50 be wired "in series," while the other sets are wired "in parallel"? Just a thought; not that this is correct, or meaningful.
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 10:52 pm
Why I believe that Xmas lighting is a big fuggin waste of time. We put up one big 5Ft wreath with lights and we put it on the wall facing the street. If people dont like the "less is more" attitude, they can stick a holly up their asses.
Thats my feelings about christmas lights.

good luck buddy, you are now enetering a quantum world .
gymdandi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for your response. This is a new string of lights and it said on the box
if one bulb goes out the rest will light. I think I'll try your suggestion anyway.
gymdandi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:08 pm
@Foofie,
Thanks for your response. These are brand new lights and I tossed the box out
and I don't know what the wire situation is.
gymdandi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:10 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for response. This might be the last year for this set of lights or any set
of lights. Have a good holiday.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 05:12 pm
@gymdandi,
If this is the case then it appears to be some faulty wiring. If it were me, I would not take the fire hazzard risk. Replace them. It is a lot cheaper than replacing a house.
gymdandi

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:18 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks I will do that.
Happy Holidays.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:33 am
@gymdandi,
gymdandi wrote:

Thanks for your response. These are brand new lights and I tossed the box out
and I don't know what the wire situation is.

Can we agree they were not made in the U.S.A.?

But, the point by another poster, about buying new ones, sounds like the safest advice. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
gymdandi

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 09:49 am
@Foofie,
Thanks, Happy Holidays.
0 Replies