Senate report ties Rumsfeld to Abu Ghraib abuse

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:03 am
Quote:
Senate report ties Rumsfeld to Abu Ghraib abuse

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and other senior U.S. officials share much of the blame for detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to portions of a report released on Thursday by the Senate Armed Services Committee.

[...]

The report concluded that Rumsfeld's actions were "a direct cause of detainee abuse" at Guantanamo and "influenced and contributed to the use of abusive techniques ... in Afghanistan and Iraq."
"The abuse of detainees at Abu Ghraib in late 2003 was not simply the result of a few soldiers acting on their own," the executive summary said.

[...]

The report found that the military derived the techniques from a Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape program, or SERE, which trains U.S. soldiers to resist enemy interrogation that does not conform to the Geneva Conventions or international law.
"These policies are wrong and must never be repeated," McCain, who last month ended an unsuccessful bid for the White House, said in a statement released with the executive summary.
McCain said the report revealed an "inexcusable link between abusive interrogation techniques used by our enemies who ignored the Geneva Conventions and interrogation policy for detainees in U.S. custody."

[...]

The executive summary also traces the erosion of detainee treatment standards to a Feb,. 7, 2002, memorandum signed by President George W. Bush stating that the Geneva Convention did not apply to the U.S. war with al Qaeda and that Taliban detainees were not entitled to prisoner of war status or legal protections.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,355 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:32 am
So, what's the news here?
revel

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:59 am
It may not be new news but it does reinforce what some of us have been saying and others have been denying. Namely that the abuses started from the top but only a few bad apples got blamed. Also the fact that it is a bipartisan senate helps to dispel the idea that the report is partisan in nature.

On a side note, I am glad to see the old McCain back.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:29 am
@Merry Andrew,

Exactly. What's the news?

btw - I've seen some of the pictures of torture and abuse at Abu Ghraib and as a human was utterly offended. I never thought I would find myself laughing over ANYTHING remotely connected to the scandal - until i read the title of this thread.

Suddenly, i saw Rumsie 'tied up' above a pile of bloody, naked brown men -
looking for all the world like he couldn't fathom how he got there.... ha aha ha
0 Replies