The Spendius for dummies thread

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:51 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
It's better than watching our Home Secretary finding out that you can't say things on the spur of the moment without any reference to the past, the future or any facts unless you are in a play-pen and being indulged by a doting electorate.

Oh, I don't know .... I'd find that pretty damn interesting! Laughing
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:54 pm
@msolga,
That's why I mentioned it.
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:04 pm
@spendius,
Ah. I see. Very Happy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:09 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I like the word 'venerable" in front of my moniker, but it makes me think I should stop coloring my grey hairs.

Don't stop coloring them - change the color... to a nice flourescent green! That would rock.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
Spendi is a king of the non sequitur!

A non sequitur is a conversational and literary device, often used for comical purposes (as opposed to its use in formal logic). It is a comment which, due to its lack of meaning relative to the comment it follows, is absurd to the point of being humorous or confusing. Its use can be deliberate or unintentional. Literally, it is Latin for "it does not follow."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(absurdism)

alex240101

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 11:49 am
@Chumly,
Hello chumly. Nice to see you back. I see you were busy equipping your avatar with supplies.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:43 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:

Example please Chum.

Chum is the King of the Muckybum Tribe.
Francis

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:56 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Now, if one is not allowed some fantasy.. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

Regardless how anyone feels, spendius is part of our dysfunctional a2k family,
and he would be missed were he not here.

Jane's observation bears repeating.

I worry sometimes that I think I understanding what Spendi is saying when everybody else is piling on and trashing him. Should I? Worry I mean? Smile

He generally advises me that I haven't understood him, however.

Seriously, he is as capable as anybody here of stating his meaning clearly, succinctly, and without frills or embellishments, but he seems to choose not to when others sanctimoniously pronounce themselves superior to him or his intellect or opinion. He pulls a lot of your chains with fascinating predictability. Smile

I like him.

I find myself in full agreement
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:40 am
@spendius,
Example? That depends http://www.depend.com/
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:38 am
@Chumly,
Would you mind explaining that Chum?

What was in your mind when you chose that item for our education about incoherent posts?
Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:15 am
@spendius,
Does it depend on how much one understands? Razz
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:17 am
@spendius,
You asked for an example.

I said that depends http://www.depend.com/

I find a duologue with you reaches the highest level (relatively) when I combine the absurd with punning.

Shirley this format is not unfamiliar to you, given your penchant for the former, and my elevated paronomasia on the ladder.

I gather your British constitution would not preclude the use of depends.

Constitution:
- the general state of someone's health
- a system for government
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:34 am
@Chumly,
We're in the deep-end now.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
@spendius,
<snort>
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 01:17 pm
Spendi, the Hero of Haarlem
http://www.thehollandring.com/hans-brinker-story.shtml
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:55 pm
@Chumly,
That stuff isn't my cup of tea Chum. I like the way it wrings the grannie's hearts out like a dishcloth often is when it's the only way to remove the stains from the front of your kit. I bet some of them even sobbed.

I would have run to fetch mi dad. Holes don't get big all that quick. Anyway--I would have stayed the night with the blind man to keep his fire in all night and get his breakfast ready and to pump him about what the ****'s going on because mi dad didn't tell me much. An old blind man who has nobody to talk to would surely be a fount of wisdom. Where might he have been. How large his memories must have loomed.

And a story-teller, like Homer, would have known that. One can throw the damsel into the swollen river with a large number of literary devices, and have the hero rescue her and get drowned himself, or otherwise, but never forget that you, the story-teller, threw her in first. For fun.

It represents, though, the heroic nature of Christian virtue. Thus, you liberals, have to suspect it of being propaganda. To keep the masses down. Which would, of course, be a blasphemy of Christianity.

Really, the kid should be found two days later as stiff as a basque that's been hung out to dry in a frost. Hero dies. It's the way it is.

I would have plugged the dyke with some stones and mud. And that's if I had left the blind man or gone home another way. I might have said a prayer if I thought of it. Then run quick. I might have prayed running as well.
Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:14 pm
@spendius,
Just another plug for Conservative Christendom.

Plug:

- A piece of chewing tobacco
- A public mention of a commercial product, business, or performance
- Something inferior, useless, or defective, especially an old, worn-out horse
tycoon

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:19 pm
@Chumly,
WILLLLLLBERRRRRR!
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:21 pm
@Chumly,