The Spendius for dummies thread

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 02:12 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Obviously hit a nerve, but I'm sure a few drinks will calm you down.

Don't overestimate your capacities Cyclo. If that "hit a nerve" I would have been dead a long time from pulverized nerves.

It was advice.

Unsolicited advice has a very poor record of adoption and generally says more about the one who offers it than the one it's pointed towards.

I for one do not appreciate the repeated misogyny, or the lack of political acumen coupled with an absolute certainty; the difficulty of understanding the prose only complicates the matter.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 02:13 pm
@squinney,
Quote:
he has been rather rude towards me on an ocassion or two

I'm sorry squinney if I have. I wouldn't have intended to be. Sometimes a point is best remembered when made forcefully.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 02:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Unsolicited advice has a very poor record of adoption

This site is called Able to Know. Coming on the site is soliciting advice or information. If you didn't come on to learn something you didn't know you must have come on to spout.

I have learned plenty since joining A2K. The best educational experience of my life by a very long way. And most enjoyable as all proper educational experiences are.

You cannot define misogyny just the way that suits you. Tell us what you mean by it.

I mean activities damaging to ladies. What's your version?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 02:26 pm
@spendius,
Attitudes and statements demeaning to them and their equality, which you love to throw about with wild abandon, Spendi, are also misogyny.

You need look no farther than my sig to see a great example, and truthfully, this is one of the least offensive I've seen from you.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 02:28 pm
I have him on ignore. Did it when he started following me from thread to thread and being aggressively rude.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 02:31 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Spendius wrote:
Quote:
The last hour in the pub is the last bastion of freedom. If ever it goes your freedom, what little you have, will go with it.

I really don't know what some of you are carrying on about with accusations of over sipping and not understanding what he says. The above statement is brilliant! Brilliant, I say! Truly sig line worthy.

Although I have posted before that I do not understand him sometimes, and he has been rather rude towards me on an ocassion or two, I would still miss his presence were he to not continue here.

I can't recall Spendi ever insulting a woman here so I hope it was just misinterpretation.

Like you, Squinney, I'm not sure I always understand him Smile but I find him entertaining and intriguing, too, and always like reading his posts.

Don't understand the need of some to viciously attack others who have a different perspective, though. Mind-boggling.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Attitudes and statements demeaning to them and their equality, which you love to throw about with wild abandon, Spendi, are also misogyny.

You can't respectably define an assertion with another one. What does demeaning mean. Suppose you are saying the nice, safe PC things that lead them into danger and distress and into the hands of the medical profession and the drug and beauty product industries. That's demeaning to me even if I am unpopular which I'm obviously not with these intelligent ladies on here.

Your cloying nice-guy stuff probably suits your purposes. I think you have them stereotyped. You think of them in the abstract. I see them in the pub. I hear what they say. It isn't nice. They are being de-natured.

A handful of feminists have sold them down the river. And you sound like one who has connived in it. Get their noses to the grindstone eh?

Hey- I saw Condi playing the piano. My Auntie Phylis was better than that. Who said Condi was a concert pianist? Her flatterers I suppose.

Equality my arse. Why would they wish to be anything like us load of wankers?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:27 pm
@spendius,
I'm not sure at what point you assumed I was required to explain myself to you. Your misogynistic attitudes are yours to hold and defend, and I really don't care to hear the explanations for why you feel the way you do about women.

I think you are a liar, a poltroon and a cad, sir, when you deny posting whilst drinking. In the past you have admitted it, now you deny when it is convenient.

In the interests of not ruining the thread, I say Good Day to you and your hardly-comprehensible posts.

Cycloptichorn
Green Witch

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:28 pm
@hingehead,
I like the word 'venerable" in front of my moniker, but it makes me think I should stop coloring my grey hairs.
Mame

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I think you are a liar, a poltroon and a cad, sir...

Wow, I haven't seen or heard "poltroon" used in quite some time.
margo

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:46 pm
Quote:
I'm an aussie, mate! And just possibly, given the 'pub' references, you are a pom. Natural enemies!

ain't dat da truth!

I hope the meaning of life isn't to be found in Prisoner - Cell whatever.. - or we're all (or mostly all) doomed, I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:29 pm
@Mame,
Etymology: Middle French poultron, from Old Italian poltrone, probably akin to poltro colt, ultimately from Latin pullus young of an animal.

It's a compliment. It's in Shakespeare. He probably got it of Giordino who get burned later.

And I must admit to being a cad from time to time. Not all the time. I was young and innocent once, poltony one might say, but alas the world seemed full of cads so I thought I had better be one myself. I'm just not so good at hiding it like some I could mention. No names--no pack drill.

The assertion that I am a liar is worth equally as much as all other assertions of a similar nature which happens to be **** all and as such beneath my attention. I would readily admit it if I was caught out.

If I said that somebody's a frog does that make her a frog?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:40 pm
I never thought spendi to be a liar. Maybe, misinformed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:26 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It's a compliment.

So isn't.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:32 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah. Kind of like 'son of a bitch' is a compliment.
dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:33 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Yeah. Kind of like 'son of a bitch' is a compliment.

Especially when said to a sibling.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:08 pm
Reading along with interest.

Just wondering, Spendy, are you finding this thread a little confronting?
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:31 pm
@msolga,
Not at all. It's quite entertaining. You get nowhere by being "confrontational." It's a sort of psychological erection. Or a neurological one depending on your attitude to Charles Darwin and his followers.

I'm waiting for this incoherent post of mine to be pasted up so that I can provide a demo that incoherence is more often a characteristic of a receiver than a transmitter.

The Prime Minister and the Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition are currently engaged in declaring each other's Credit Crunch policy to be "incoherent."

Declaring somebody "incoherent" is merely to declare oneself to be on the other side only without any sensible reason for being there other than being on the other side. Like backing horses. Nobody knows who is "incoherent". Time alone will determine that.
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:33 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Not at all. It's quite entertaining.

Good then!

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:44 pm
@msolga,
It's alright. Whiles away the time.

It's better than watching our Home Secretary finding out that you can't say things on the spur of the moment without any reference to the past, the future or any facts unless you are in a play-pen and being indulged by a doting electorate.