I would have been murderized.

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 03:48 pm
I am frankly astonished by these comments on bullying by girls. Ladies, what would you say are the implications for women from such a situation--do little girl bullies grow up to be women bullies? Among men, some, but very few, continue to be bullies in adulthood. This is probably because, as some of you have noted, the bullying of boys is physical, and they can't get away with that when they have become men. But the bullying which survives into adulthood with men will be "moral" bullying, enforcing one's will on another through force of personality, or through political or social manoeuvring. Does this sort of meanness you describe survive into adulthood?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 03:50 pm
tai chi told me a story one time about having to chaperone one of my nephews school trips
she was shocked at the behavior of the girls (grade six), far more unruly and downright nasty to each other and fellow students
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:46 pm
Mismi and soz did a great job explaining the female bully. It is a very subtle kind of bullying, very long term.

When I was in school girls were not given much room to compete in anything but status so they were always on the lookout for ways to make themselves more popular even if it meant running other girls into the ground. Once you were admitted to a clique you had to be loyal or you were trashed.

I think it survives into adulthood -- look at the cyberbullying case that's been in the news. That was a grown woman, a nearly grown woman and a young girl who pushed that other young girl over the edge and she killed herself.

There was a case a few years back where a woman killed another woman in hopes that it would help her daughter land a position on the cheerleading squad (I forget the details of what actually happened).

I think you also see it when beautiful young women marry rich old men. In exchange for their youth and beauty they get status.

BTW -- I love the tag someone added to this -- "girls scare me"!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 05:48 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Confidence is all.

It's like hats. If you think you look good in a hat, you do. If you think you look stupid in a hat, you do.

That inner knowledge/conviction/energy is very evident when you look at some kids. They don't know they're cool, they're just good with who they are.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 05:54 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
...what i think of as the mark of Abel...

"Mark of Abel".
Damn, Set, that's good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 10:04 pm
Thanks, Boss . . . i thought that up quite a long time ago, but had forgotten about it until i read this thread . . .

I was the one who appended the "girls scare me" tag to this thread . . . i'ma gonna keep my distance from you girls . . . you're nasty ! ! !
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:43 am
@chai2,
i think there is a chaning in the views and mindsets of the humans on this planet..
kids and people everywhere are being either disensitized or becoming more polite, more understanding,more accepting..

when i went to the west elementary schools, i would get teased and jumped because i was poor,when i went to the inner city schools, there was such a variety of people i guess noone could ifnd a reason to pick on anybody for..

but the inner city schools hold kids from every country adn every state in this nation, after kartina there was a huge influx of southern folk, love their accents, anyways...

nowdays everyone is conencted everywhere, online, tv, their neighborhood...

yay!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:45 am
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

He has unwavering confidence. Confident kids are immune from bullies. The real super-cool one even get the bullies to work for them.

and the unconfident ones go columbine on the whole school. therefore winning the whole game. Razz

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:51 am
@OGIONIK,
in my opinion if i can use a metaphor..

females are like assassins, straight to the point, no fun, just business, any means to get there even if it means being sneaky, waiting, patience, ambushing..

males are like warriors, gloriously battling and showing off. always face to face, fire versus fire... offense of defense

NickFun

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:01 pm
@OGIONIK,
Um...yes, of course. Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:02 pm
@OGIONIK,
You can use a metaphor . . . if you ever learn what a metaphor is. Your post is composed of similes, not metaphors.
mismi

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 05:03 pm
@Setanta,
You didn't know girls were scary until this thread Set? I thought most men knew that! Very Happy

They usually do grow out of it though...mostly. Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:12 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I am not sure why - and of course I can't say it is across the board but girls as a whole just seem to be a little meaner.

I will be reading along to see what others think.

Meh.

I was a skinny kid with big glasses, big front teeth and too much brains in primary school. And my parents broke up during my second year at school (so when I was 6 or so).

As you can imagine, things did not go well. I was bullied a fair bit - that year was worst, then gradually less and with ups and downs but yeah, basically throughout primary school it was ****.

I can still remember the names of the bad guys - and yes, they were all guys. Leo and Peter - if you're out there still, **** you. (Actually, Leo ended up in prison, I once heard through the grapevine, eons ago.)

The girls, on the other hand, were mostly indifferent, sometimes friendly, sometimes taking pity on me. The bullying never really got physical - this was milquetoast suburbia, in less edgy days - but I remember one time Peter was about to smack me around when the prettiest girl in the class that everyone had crush on intervened and saved me. Thanks girl. It wouldnt have been the smacking that'd been so bad, it was the humiliation most of all that hurt - and having her intervene softened that a bit, that time.

I did have a best friend, who was a boy, and who, since he was pretty strong and cool, probably spared me much worse just by being there, not necessarily doing anything, but saving me from being at the true bottom of the pile. (That was a girl, a fat and unkempt girl who, I later realised, was probably neglected or abused at home.) There were a coupla other boys who would play with me, or rather: us, kinda not caring either way, and a coupla girls the same.

Yeah and so then at 12 I went to high school, which was both in the city - away from suburbia and all the other kids - and a Montessori school, and even tho I always stayed skinny, my youth turned out fine after all Smile

Almost all of my friends in later life have been girls/women though, I guess part of that goes back to all of this (tho I can think of other reasons too).
nimh

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:10 pm
@nimh,
Didn't mean to kill the thread...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 02:12 pm
@nimh,
I think people tend to be meaner to their own gender, so it makes sense that in your experience guys were meaner than girls. I bet for most girls, the opposite was the case.
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I agree Robert...never had a problem with the boys.
0 Replies