Obama spells end of blank cheques for Israel

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
Agence France-Presse
Published: Sunday December 7, 2008

JERUSALEM (AFP) " Israel can no longer expect "blank cheques" from Washington once president-elect Barack Obama's administration takes over in January, a former US ambassador to the Jewish state said on Sunday.

"The era of the blank cheque is over," said Martin Indyk, director of the Centre for Middle East Policy at the Brookings Institute who is considered close to incoming secretary of state Hillary Clinton.

"The Obama administration intends to be engaged, using diplomacy to try to bring about a safer and more peaceful place, that is different from the seven years of the (George W.) Bush administration," he said on public radio.

"President Obama surely will want to work with Israel on this (Middle East) agenda. But there are obligations on both sides (Israel and the Arabs). Both sides will have to respect these obligations," Indyk said.

Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert held a "long conversation" with Clinton earlier this week and welcomed her nomination
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 835 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:26 am
@blueflame1,
About time!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:28 pm
If the check will not be blank, who will decide the amount to be written in?

Then there is the question if the amount will have to be earned.

All in all, that process could take up the time for someone for the next four years.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 03:48 pm
Keep dreaming. Zionists already have him on a leash.

http://www.236.com/images/photo2/4413/original/original.jpg
blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:59 pm
@Zippo,
I will keep dreaming of a 2 state solution. And I believe it will happen during Obama's first term. Barring his assassination of course.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:02 pm
Well, once the U.S. is energy independent, what benefit would the U.S. have in pandering to the Palestineans or other Arabs? Israel is an innovator in high tech military systems, so there is a benefit to the U.S. in its relationship with Israel. What was the last Arab innovation after developing higher math/geometry? It has been awhile possibly? Modernity has its rewards.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:20 pm
@Foofie,
It's easy to be an innovator when you get considerable US funds to do so. Had the US given as much to the Palestinians as it has given to Israel, their innovations would have been just as high tech.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

It's easy to be an innovator when you get considerable US funds to do so. Had the US given as much to the Palestinians as it has given to Israel, their innovations would have been just as high tech.

Uhhhhhhh good idea.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/images/IED%20015-thumb.jpg

One can only hope that Obama and his minions are blown to bits by those they admire so much.....
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Emphasis on the wrong syl-lab-le, I believe. The Egyptians get a nice stipend from the U.S. for "playing nice" with Israel, and there are more Arabs in that state than Gaza/West Bank. My point is that some Arab countries, without its cash cow of oil would likely be far less developed, I believe. Israel has no cash cow, except for its entrepreneurial efforts.

But, rather than retort my posts, would you be so kind to take a survey of how the Arabs have added to western civilization in the last thousand years.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 11:40 pm
@Foofie,
For one, they discovered mathematics. Can you imagine how mathematics has changed the world?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 01:40 am
The arguments for the perpetuation of the necessarily discriminatory and oppressive state of Israel are downright supremacist. Argument about technology or the introduction of mathematics are neither here nor there. So, Israel has high tech military systems. That does not justify their discrimination and oppression of the Palestinian people. That is the crux of the Israel/Palestine conflict. Europeans emigrated from their homelands to escape the oppressive ethnocentrism they were experiencing therein only to establish an ethnocentric state of their own in Palestine that discriminates and oppresses the people that were already there. I don't know if the irony escapes their supporters, or merely that their supporters vicariously live their bigotry and chauvinism through these European emigrants and their progeny.
Endymion

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:59 am
@InfraBlue,
thanks for writing this post InfraBlue
I've been gnashing my teeth
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The arguments for the perpetuation of the necessarily discriminatory and oppressive state of Israel are downright supremacist. Argument about technology or the introduction of mathematics are neither here nor there. So, Israel has high tech military systems. That does not justify their discrimination and oppression of the Palestinian people. That is the crux of the Israel/Palestine conflict. Europeans emigrated from their homelands to escape the oppressive ethnocentrism they were experiencing therein only to establish an ethnocentric state of their own in Palestine that discriminates and oppresses the people that were already there. I don't know if the irony escapes their supporters, or merely that their supporters vicariously live their bigotry and chauvinism through these European emigrants and their progeny.

Israel was founded on European immigrants? Israel was founded, as a state, as a place to put the survivors of the Jewish Holocaust. The surrounding neighbors did not appreciate the intrusion of these people that had been pariahs in Europe. So, they have attacked them with hostile armies, or with hostile terrorists. That is the story that leads up to the present. Please include the entire story when you explain; otherwise, one could think you inadvertently revised history by using such incorrect terms as "European immigrants." Also, if post WWII, there were additional Jews that went to Israel from Europe, that can also be attributed to the reality that Europe did not have a complete catharsis of its anti-Semitism by the Holocaust occurring. Notice how few American Jews have emigrated to Israel - must be the low level of anti-Semitism in the U.S., I believe.
0 Replies