mississippi not longer the worst

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:47 pm
WASHINGTON (Reuters) " Louisiana has displaced Mississippi as the unhealthiest U.S. state and other Southern states were close rivals due to high obesity and smoking rates in new rankings that deemed Vermont the healthiest.

The overall health of Americans remained static for a fourth year, according to an annual report issued on Wednesday assessing a series of measures also including binge drinking, health insurance coverage, air pollution, infectious disease rates, crime levels and immunization coverage.

Many Southern states were clustered near the bottom of the rankings. The region has some of the highest rates of obesity, which contributes to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and some types of cancer, as well as high rates of smoking, which causes cancer, lung disease, heart disease and other problems.

One in five Louisianians lacked health insurance, while 31 percent were obese. It also suffers from high child poverty, infant mortality, premature death rate and cancer deaths, according to the report.

"We've just not made any improvement in the overall healthiness of the nation," said Dr. Reed Tuckson of UnitedHealth Group Inc, the largest U.S. health insurer, and the private United Health Foundation.

The foundation, American Public Health Association and the Partnership for Prevention advocacy group put together the 19th annual state-by-state rankings.

It was the second straight year that Vermont topped the rankings. It was followed by Hawaii, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Utah, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Idaho and Maine.

Louisiana fell from 49th to 50th, replacing Mississippi. Rounding out the bottom 10 were South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nevada and Georgia.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,687 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 02:03 pm
Its a life style choice. Louisianians can stuff more life into an afternoon than people from Albuquerque do all year
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:11 pm
That does it! I'm moving to Vermont so I can be healthy and happy like those guys are! Wink

But, then again, there's that old saying, "no matter where you go, there you are".
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:15 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:
But, then again, there's that old saying, "no matter where you go, there you are".

So true. And I wonder -- is it worth it being "healthy and happy" if you're bored out of your skull? I've spent quite some time in Vermont. Or, to paraphrase W.C. Fields, one weekend I spent a whole month there.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:41 pm
@NickFun,
Nick, I think what does us in here in California is the smoking pot - otherwise
we would be the healthiest state.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 09:36 am
Heheh, I'm from Vt, living in Il as a stop-over until I become an empty-nester and move to La. I've done the healthy stuff long enough. Now I'm focused on fun!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:36 am
It's a vicious cycle. For cannibalism is, of course, rampant down there. Louisianians are high in fat, they eat each other, it never ends.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:13 pm
@Gargamel,
And how can a person stay healthy living in what is essentially one huge swamp?
roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Like NM, huh? One huge desert. Immediately you cross the Colorado, instant mountains and pine trees all the way to Wyoming. From there, it's cows all the way up to the igloos of Canada.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:51 pm
@roger,
Roger, if you drive I-10 from, oh, roughly Almogordo towards the Texas border and ElPaso you will see hardly anything resembling a tree -- just cholla cacti and tumbleweeds. Some years ago a stunted bedraggled tree, maybe all of seven or eight feet high (I believe it was a mesquite) had sprouted up right at the Texas border. And some wag had erected a sign next to it, which read New Mexico National Forest.
0 Replies