sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:52 am
I like the show "What Not To Wear." They've had at least two 20-year-reunion specials (with three separate women in one of 'em, and just one woman in the one I'm watching now). In all of them, the expectation seemed to be that everyone would get dressed UP. Fancy cocktail dresses, heels, major makeup, etc.

I went to my 10-year reunion and I dressed up a bit but not much. If I remember right it was a long black silk skirt, a 3/4 sleeve print t-shirt, and flat shoes. Lipstick, no other make-up. Most other people were about the same.

My 20-year is coming up -- is it really that whole other level of dressiness? I don't particularly care if I'm way out of the loop (I'd rather be underdressed than overdressed) but I'm curious about other people's experiences.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 12,224 • Replies: 16
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm
I am thinking of just wearing a poodle skirt, a boat-neck shirt and harness boots to my 50th reunion (of course I will be wearing a Stetson)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:15 pm
@sozobe,
My reunions were for various years after our small girls' academy (la de dahhh) graduated, and - at least the ones that I went to - were held at a marina restaurant at some hours such as noon to 3 pm. Those so inclined could meet at the school chapel earlier for mass. So clothes, undoubtedly still important in the I'm okay you're ok sense, were fairly simple: mostly dresses with heels or some equivalent outfit. What I'd call 'nice-restaurant' wear. I bet some portion of the attendees had had their hair done for the event, and perhaps there had been some dieting efforts before the day.

If anything, I'd say any need to worry about one's attire quickly petered out as years went by. We'd grown into who we were, so be it, though it's hard to characterize a whole bunch of individuals' attitudes.

I'd have been interested in the psychological complications of the class asking mates/husbands to join the reunion. And would enjoy being a fly on the wall at a regular sort of reunion of male and female classmates. There must have been movies or tv shows about that.

To answer your question, I don't know if there's usually a jump up in dress code - but I'm betting against it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:16 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm having trouble picturing that..
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:49 pm
@sozobe,
Just did it last year, and it was definitely not too dressy. I brought a jacket just in case, but would have felt overdressed had I worn it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:37 pm
Remember that the television show is marketing hype. Who are the show's sponsors, department, shoe stores and fashion magazines?
NickFun

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:08 pm
@sozobe,
I just returned from my 30th. Attire was mostly business casual and I wore black jeans and a black shirt. Most of the ladies were more decked up. I feel fortunate that I'm fit and trim and still have all my hair.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:06 pm
I've never gone to a high school reunion in my life. Don't even know if my school has them (Boston English High School; pls advide me if I'm wrong). If they had one, then I missed my 50th last year. But if there were such things, and if I did deign to attend, I imagine I'd dress much like dys (Stetson and riding boots mandatory).
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:18 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I've never gone to a high school reunion in my life. Don't even know if my school has them (Boston English High School; pls advide me if I'm wrong). If they had one, then I missed my 50th last year. But if there were such things, and if I did deign to attend, I imagine I'd dress much like dys (Stetson and riding boots mandatory).
riding boots? you are too weird.
sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
I don't really agree with that. As reality shows go, I think it's one of the more interesting ones. They get some things wrong, but a lot of things right. (I think they're best with women who are trying to get attention with their cleavage, and worst with punky/ alternative people who wind up too boring too often.)

At any rate, these reunion shows also show the crowd, and the whole place is dressed to the nines. I don't think they've managed to sucker every attendee into the charade?

Seems like it might be a sort of social milieu sort of thing though. I plan to dress about as I did at the 10-year I think...

Thanks for responses so far, interested in more...
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:31 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

dyslexia wrote:
riding boots? you are too weird.

Look who's talking! Crew-neck shirt?
mismi

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:57 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
but I'm curious about other people's experiences.

Depends on where it is as far as I'm concerned. My husband's 20th had theirs at a bar - so I dressed accordingly - smart casual...but I would say what you wore before sounds great. Feel good about what you have on and be comfortable - most important.

The other folks were dressed about the same - some more dressy, others less.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 08:13 pm
@sozobe,
Here you go Soz. This shows how quite a few were dressed:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1847/20yearreunionfx4.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:41 pm
I had my we had a 25th maybe 4 years ago - but ours was kind of cool, started with lunch at Bondi Icebergs, than on to watch a super12 match (Brumbies v the Tahs) and then a late pub dinner. That sort of an itinerary dictates your clothing. Of course it was an all boy school. Maybe the venue will give you a hint (MacPlayground)
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:15 am
Hi Soz,
I think you can rely on the location of the reunion to help you decide on the proper attire. My 20th was held at our hometown country club. I wore a simple but classy cocktail dress. Most guys wore jackets and ties. But the pre-reunion party at a local bar was way more fun and casual.
0 Replies

RODNEYPINA

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:08 pm
@Merry Andrew,
HEY Boston English Class of 1989 here. There's a 20 year reunion being planned as we speak go to facebook and look up English High School.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:02 pm
This turned out to be a fancy-pantsy party. Much more formal than Bill's picture for example. I took my clues from the venue and the price tag ($50/ person!!!) as per suggestions here, and hit the right note I think. (Nice dress, very high heels which gave me a serious toe blister... ow...)
0 Replies