Gift suggestion: 6 year old girl

George

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:34 am
This is for the child of a local family in need.
I don't know anything about her personally.
The agency is suggesting $15 cost.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 6,385 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:51 am
@George,
My first response is a Webkinz (stuffed animal). They run about that (usually ~$14 for a big one and ~$11 for a small one) , and are universally beloved by 6-year-old girls.

HOWEVER, they require a computer to really get the most out of them (the stuffed animal comes with a code that allows you to play with a virtual counterpart) and "a family in need" probably won't have a computer.

Sozlet got a small electronic game from "Littlest Pet Shop" for her 6th birthday that she loves and was probably about $15, but I can't find anything similar on Amazon.

Groovy Girls are about $15 -- six years old was about the peak of Sozlet's interest in them:

http://tweenscene.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/groovy-girl-dolls.jpg

They always have a holiday-themed doll, which would be perfect.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@George,
George wrote:

This is for the child of a local family in need.
I don't know anything about her personally.
The agency is suggesting $15 cost.

We have done this every year so far, and although the age and gender changes
for the child in need, we mostly bought clothes, shoes and things they really
need, and additionally a small toy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:54 am
Hm....well, if you're willing to spend more, perhaps a gift certificate to Build a Bear. I think you'd have to spend about $30 though.

Maybe a cool sleeping bag? I remember loving mine. Sleepovers are the best. And it will double as something warm for her.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:57 am
@George,
Set of paint, brushes and a couple of canvasses. Who knows where it will lead!

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:01 am
Most little girls of that age love stuffed animals and also small toy cars. Tinker toys, building blocks, age appropriate jigsaw puzzles etc. are also fun things. A soft small colorful fuzzy blanket can be a child's treasure. For clothing, go the warm all purpose route--a fun sweatshirt or something like that can be especially appreciated.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Canvases? As in oil or acrylic?

Love the idea of art supplies but make sure they're washable (kids are still plenty messy at 6).

Crayola has nice art packs for $15 or so.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:17 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Canvases? As in oil or acrylic?

Love the idea of art supplies but make sure they're washable (kids are still plenty messy at 6).

Crayola has nice art packs for $15 or so.

You can paint on Canvasses with watercolors and poster paint...

But yeah, that's the general idea - give the kid something that can create art with.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:09 pm
Super suggestions!
Thanks, everyone.
parados

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:14 pm
@George,
No one suggested a pony?
George

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 03:17 pm
@parados,
I already got one for realjohnboy and didn't want to repeat myself.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 07:48 pm
@Bella Dea,
Build a Bear is advertising this year that they have more $10 choices than ever. That might be a great choice -- if you made it for the $15.00, she could make a nanimal and pick out an accessory for it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 08:29 pm
I like all the suggestions, except Build A Bear. The problem with giving a little girl only $15 in a temptation shop like that is she is going to be very limited and hear the word 'no" a lot. Six year olds have a hard time with budgets.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 08:53 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm in favor of something, almost anything, in a package over something the child has to do, or some gift card, etc.

I don't presently know any six year old girls but I remember being one. I had few dolls or stuffed toys in my childhood (remembering only one sort of stuffed raggedy ann when I was about two, which I probably defenestrated or destuffed, and a couple of others. Didn't get a teddy bear until I was sixteen, from a boyfriend. So, I'm in the stuffed toy camp, though not necessarily a teddy bear. Maybe a fluffy lamb or something.
On the other hand, all six year olds aren't repeats of me; so take that with a grain of salt.
0 Replies