your day at work?

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 07:21 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Lots of data messes today (still going on, actually). Mostly cleaned up; clean up will conclude tomorrow -- hopefully; if not, a DBA gets involved -- then reloading next week. Verra annoying. Plus we had to send out notifications to the users. Twice, coming on the heels of once yesterday.

Tonight is the bigger company end of year party, at the Hard Rock Café. I'm giving my drink coupons to the DBAs.

what is a DBA?
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:01 pm
@OGIONIK,
holy **** this is weird, i keep typing letters backwards, i swear to god this better b e a fluke or someshit..

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:01 am
@OGIONIK,
DBA = Database Administrator.

I hung out with them at the party (one of them did not attend). The other two are from India. One is a guy who looks like an Indian version of Jesse Jackson (same hairline, same moustache). The other is younger, I'm not even sure he's 30 yet. They play baseball in the corridor when there's downtime. Jesse pitches with a nerf stress ball and the young dude bats with a strip of wood that fell off an old desk. I think Jesse is a better pitcher than the young dude is a batter. They're nice, goofy guys.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:52 am
@jespah,
Quote:
DBA = Database Administrator.

I'm glad to know that now. The only 'dba' I had ever run across was 'doing business as' , as in Bill Gates dba Miscrosoft. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:22 pm
Yesterday was our work Christmas party.

This is summer - but it's cold and pissing down and windy - and that's just the morning.

And the party is, ta da! on a boat on Sydney Harbour, belonging to a friend of the boss. We've been on this boat before, and it rained, mostly, but there were some dry patches. The Harbour is just spectacular on a good day, but.....

This time, it pelts down all day - and on the top deck, the awnings are not entirely successful in keeping the rain out, and with so much rain, you can't see anything through what are laughingly called the "clears" - the clear plastic canopy. Most people stayed inside the cabin

The big laugh of the day was the boss, who flew in from Canberra that morning. He'd been told it was cold and wet, but was optimistic that the weather would improve, so he wore a white t-shirt, and white shorts, and was rapidly turning blue.

It was very windy, and one of the girls started to feel sick. The skipper tried to find a sheltered part of the Harbour, with little success. And then the gale warning came through - so we scuttled back to the marina, which, incidentally, is attached to the building where Russell Crowe lives when he's in town. Too wet and wild to see anyone today.

We decide to go to a pub on-shore to have a drink - and end up going to a gay pub, where the boss attracts considerable attention. We flee that place and all have another laugh at his expense. (this whole day could be a career limiting move for some of us!)

We've booked a maxi-taxi to take those who need to back to the office, and that's delayed / lost /not coming. Another taxi, to take the boss, and those others who are from interstate, back to the airport is also delayed. So - we're standing outside the Woolloomooloo pub, getting drenched. trying to work out how to get away - and the traffic is so bad no-one is going anywhere.

We found that just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and those in our cab had a good laugh. Wouldn't have liked to be in the other car, though - it contained all those with the humour bypass.

Boss and co made it to the airport OK - but when I left work, the other car sill hadn't arrived. Here's the boss towards the end of the day...
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1781/12071rr3.jpg
Merry Christmas!

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 03:26 pm
@margo,
haha poor dood
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:11 pm
@margo,
Such great story telling..
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:15 pm
Cold and rainy. There's flooding on some roads and traffic is snarled worse than
my Christmas tree lights. It takes an hour to drive the 18 miles from Stoneham
to Chelmsford. When I get off the highway the first thing I notice is that the
traffic lights are off. Uh-oh. The parking lot at The Widget Factory is nearly
empty. There's a hand-written sign on the door: "Building closed for the day.
NO POWER". Well, that's an hour down the drain.
jespah

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:00 pm
@George,
The gal who sits next to me never made it in from Waltham. She started at, I think, about 9 AM, and got back to her house (she threw in the towel) at about 1230. Ai yi yi.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:05 pm
@jespah,
Sending you all some warm blankies - looks quite a mess on the news.
jespah

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks. Our furnace is playing hit or miss. Not fun for the weekend.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Sending you all some warm blankies - looks quite a mess on the news.

Much appreciated. The sun came out this afternoon, but it's getting colder.
Pick up at one end, lose at the other...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:21 pm
@margo,
Our Christmas "do" was far tamer.

We have Kris Kringles in the morning, after allocation meeting, which was very fraught yesterday with high demands and low capacities.

Kris Kringle is always kind of cute as our medical boss dresses up in various outrageous costumes to distribute them. I don't think my giftee was very happy with my carefully chosen gift (she likes bloody angels, and I got her two rawther cute ones, with stripy stockings)..... Sad

Sadly, we then had a clinical meeting, where someone raised an issue that enraged said medical director, and hence became very fraught.....wasn't a problem in any area that affects me, but the general tension sucketh mightily.

We went to quite a nice hotel......

My colleagues are overwhelmingly young women, who adore chocolate and sweet things....so we savoury types always lose the annual vote on whether we have the menu that has an entree and a main course, or a main course and sweets, for our set price.

This year, we savoury types got quite excited because we could recall no such vote, and the sample menu lying on the tea room table had both!!!

Alas, the menu was for main course and sweets only...ah well.

Hee hee...I was one of the majority who took the licence to piss off after lunch....but I am so tired at present that my licence was used only to have a nap. Ah well.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:11 pm
@dlowan,
sweets over an entree?

LOL! young women are weird.aw **** reading this post i might as well add that i got officially fired today!

well there is a rule that u cant be short on your register more than 3 times..

i was over 8 my first day, short 7 my second day on register..
a few weeks later short exactly 10 dollars(handed me thirty, and i put them as 2 twenties)

anyways my drawers was short under 2 dollars about 4 times

my drawer was short 3 bucks last week and i got the meeting yesterday.

gay! **** i have to go on the job hunt again ridiculous

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:22 pm
@OGIONIK,
This is not a happy time to be going job hunting. Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:42 pm
@OGIONIK,
Sorry, Ogi!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:44 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

i was over 8 my first day, short 7 my second day on register..
a few weeks later short exactly 10 dollars(handed me thirty, and i put them as 2 twenties)

This is something I've wondered about, and have brought up to cashiers.

Why do you put the money in the drawer before you make the change?

I've had a couple/three cashier jobs in my life.

The first time, the person who was training me told me to leave the money the customer handed me laid across the top of the cash drawer until I counted the change back to the customer.

That way, if they said "hey, I gave you a twenty", you could say, "no, it was a ten, it's right here"

Also, if you say to to the customer. "That'll be $5.87" and they hand you a ten dollar bill, I was in the habit of saying "$5.87 out of $10" That way, the customer hears that you know how much he handed you.

When I spend cash on a small amount, like $5.87 and I'm going to pay with a larger bill than a $10 (which, logically is the smallest denomination you can hand the cashier and it still be one bill), I do the following....When they say "That's $5.87", I'll respond "out of 20" or "out of 50" when I hand them the bill. That way, the cashier knows I know how much I gave them, and won't try to pull a fast one.

Why do cashiers put the money in the drawer before making change? I'll tell ya, there were enough times when I'd make change, and before handing it over realized it was a twenty sitting on top of the cash drawer and not a ten as my wandering mind first thought. The opposite happened too, where I'd make change for a twenty, then, looking up, realized they'd given me a ten.

It's smart to double check yourself.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 10:50 pm
@chai2,
i hate cash registers, im not anti social but having to talk to customers AND count? i hate numbers, i cant remember them easily like words and ideas..

anyways yeah, its like the worst job for me, i wont suck at it but i miss little things like a 20 dollar bill Razz

oh well, dont miss it much.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:57 am
@OGIONIK,
well, during my last day at work, I was still angry about the arguement I had with that coworker a few days before. I actually got more and more pissed by the minute while getting work done. Finally, an hour passed and I snapped. I chared straight to the fitting rooom and punched the pole in the fitting room pretty hard in front of everyone.
Next thing I know, management called me in to the office and said they're letting me go. I tried to explain that I got angry but they won't take that for an excuse. They won't have me endangering everyone. I asked how that was endangering and they said stuff about tiles (10 lb each) falling from the ceiling (38 ft. high) and hitting someone.
They said they shoulda fired me the day I started that arguement w/ my coworker bc that's harassment.
They took my badge and discount card and told me to come in 2 weeks from the and pick up my last check. But I'm still like, doesn't it matter that I get stuff done on the sales floor? Doesn't it matter that I feel guilty after each explosive episodes in my life? 4gt it.
0 Replies