Paranoid idiocy + psuedo-science = mad profits!!!

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 10:22 am
This is the silliest article I have read in a long time.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/02/airport.security/index.html

Quote:

One firm, WeCU (pronounced "We See You") Technologies, employs a combination of infra-red technology, remote sensors and imagers, and flashing of subliminal images, such as a photo of Osama bin Laden. Developers say the combination of these technologies can detect a person's reaction to certain stimuli by reading body temperature, heart rate and respiration -- signals a terrorist unwittingly emits before he plans to commit an attack.

Wasn't subliminal messaging debunked... like... 50 years ago?

Quote:

Once these technologies are in place, a passenger may pass through a security screening without realizing it. For example, passengers could use an automated check-in system or gaze at a screen with departures information without realizing they've just been exposed to the words 'Islamic jihad' written in Arabic.

Yeah... what could possibly go wrong here (besides the fact that many terrorists can't read Arabic).

Quote:

Another option from WeCU is a 'smart seat,' or cushion full of hidden biometric sensors that could provide a more detailed read on someone sitting in an airport waiting area, Givon says.

Let's just hope the terrorists are carrying enough quarters.

This is another example of how by scaring people enough, logic and reason pretty much go out the window.

Scared people will buy pretty much anything. I am going to start working on my anti-terrorism Elixir (which will be quite cost effective compared to these boondoggles).

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,915 • Replies: 1
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:55 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Scared people will buy pretty much anything. I am going to start working on my anti-terrorism Elixir (which will be quite cost effective compared to these boondoggles).

They have that already. It's called "vitamins".
0 Replies