Favorite foods to have as leftovers

mismi

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:08 pm
@mags314772,
I love leftover spaghetti, and chili. I have this taco soup recipe that is amazing days later...still.

Cold pizza and cold fried chicken too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:29 pm
@mags314772,
Yum.

Cold turkey with cold queso on it.

Cold, next-day fajitas with lots of cold sour cream.

Cold fried chicken - better than hot fried chicken to me.

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I like cold meatloaf with a little side of barbecue sauce to dip it in - I like cold meatloaf better than hot meatloaf.

I also used to make grilled salmon, rice, and black eyed peas as a meal and the next day, I'd take whatever salmon I had left and crumble it up in the rice and black-eyed peas mixed all together - loved that- haven't had it in a while.

I really like Indian food and chinese food the next day too - not cold though- have to heat those.
chai2

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:10 pm
Baked macaroni and cheese....God I haven't had that in years.

Oh, I've had plenty of mac and cheese, but not baked.

I love it when it gets that crunchy, almost burned crust on top.

Same with baked lasagna...not burned, but the best part is the crispier top.

Oh yeah, and the sides...it's hell trying to get the baking pan clean, but the lasagna that sticks to the sides is great.

Does anyone else have like pyrex baking dishes that are all discolored because there's no way you can ever get every bit off?

****, I figure you put it back in the oven and it'll kill any germs on it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I made potato patties out of leftover mashed taters -- oh man so good. Add onions and egg and a couple of other things too. That was the best of the repurposed leftovers, but leftover cranberry nut bread and cranberry sauce and carrot cake are always great. (Carrot cake and chili are two things that are always better the day after...)

With turkey this year I made burritos, (so-so), and lots of sandwiches, and a couple of other things I'm forgetting -- we had like a full week of turkey for lunch and dinner. We made pretty good progress but then we all got tired of it simultaneously and the rest has been sitting there since. No way it's still good so I guess that will be wasted. It's maybe 5% of the whole turkey though, we did pretty well...
chai2

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:41 pm
@sozobe,
soz, I bought these salmon burgers at whole foods yesterday (4 in a package) and cooked one up to see what it was like before I made the rest of them for dinner.

HOT HOT HOT!

Way too much spice for our taste.

I thought of you, and mixed up a bunch of mashed potatoes into them, reformed into patties and cooked.

They were a lot better.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:32 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I like cold meatloaf with a little side of barbecue sauce to dip it in - I like cold meatloaf better than hot meatloaf.

You beat me to it with the meatloaf. I too prefer the cold over the hot. The barbeque dip is strictly optional.
0 Replies