Favorite foods to have as leftovers

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 09:51 am
So is everyone enjoying their after-Thanksgiving leftovers? Turkey sandwiches for everyone!

We all know that Thanksgiving leftovers are a huge favorite for a lot of people, but what other foods do you love to have as leftovers?

For instance, I remember when I was young and we had leftover pasta. My mother would throw it in a frying pan with butter for us and fry it up until it was just about burning and just about sticking to the pan. That part of the pasta that had become crispy and in some cases even charred black on the bottom was absolutely delicious. Mom didn't do it much, because it was a big pain in the ass to scrape the frying pan clean (not to mention the fact that it isn't very healthy to have too much fried, butter-loaded pasta), but man that was good stuff.

So, anybody else have any favorites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,188 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Seed

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:00 am
oh man, i love the burnt cheese on pasta! its so good.

one of my favorite left overs is making a steak sandwich after my dad grilled out the night before. Just slice up some steak, warm it up on the stove and then put in on some bread with some mayonnaise and a bit of onion. mmm good times good food. I gotta get outta iraq!
djjd62

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:00 am
cold pizza, cold cantonese chow mien
kickycan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:15 am
@Seed,
Seed! Great to hear from you! And that steak sandwich idea sounds great too!

Hope you get your wish and get back home soon.
kickycan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:17 am
@djjd62,
Cold pizza. Yum. I used to eat it for breakfast after nights of drunken debauchery in college. With Russian Dressing. Yeah, that's right, Russian dressing. On the side. As a dipping sauce. Fantastic ****.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:26 am
@kickycan,
Smile thanks man. I will be back home in like 9 months.

oh and the steak sandwich is a great thing Smile

whats Russian Dressing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:49 am
Russian dressing...how to describe it...the ghetto version is to just mix mayonnaise and ketchup. That's the basic taste of it. I haven't had it on pizza in a long time, but I can still remember how damn good it was. I bet I'd get sick if I tried that **** now though. Oh well, I guess that's the price of slowly but steadily wearing away my gastrointestinal fortitude with disgusting food concoctions.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:56 am
@kickycan,
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. catsup
Pepper
Salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 sm. onion, grated
1 c. oil

In a blender, mix all but the oil. Gradually add oil, blending well.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:23 am
@dyslexia,
I didn't know there was anything else till I was old enough to be sent to the store...

(thanks for the recipe dys, I had almost forgot it)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:42 pm
For anyone trying to find different ways of getting rid of the leftover turkey, I found a recipe that sounds great. I didn't have turkey this year so I have to depend on you all to tell me how good this is.

Rustic Turkey Tart
Serves 6 to 8

1 (9-inch) round prepared pie dough
1 1/2 cups leftover turkey meat , cut into bite-sized pieces
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 firm pears , peeled, cored, and diced
1/4 cup pecans , toasted and chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
Salt and pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Gently press pie crust into 9-inch tart pan and trim excess dough with knife. Prick bottom of dough all over with tines of fork. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes; cool on wire rack.

2. Combine turkey, 1/2 cup cheese, pears, pecans, cranberries, sour cream, heavy cream, and thyme in large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Transfer turkey mixture to cooled pie crust, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.

3. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Tart can be refrigerated for 24 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
i havent ate for days, i was up for 2 days and had 3 hours of sleep, and ate at my grahmas house like an idiot.

of course i got sick. diaherea, damnit how do u spell it LOL

(their animals walk all over the counters and pee and poop, + animal hair EVERYWHERE, my sotmach is done for.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 03:11 pm
@kickycan,
cold pizza with blue cheese dressing

left-over mashed potatoes fried up as breakfast patties

there are a lot of good leftovers - some things aren't so good til they are leftovers

leftover poultry stuffing, reheated or fried with gravy on the side

udon noodles
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 03:16 pm
@ehBeth,
pizza is my number one leftover, especially with extra sauce, stuffed crust pizzahut!

oh my god heaven on earth..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 05:08 pm
Cold, baked macaroni and cheese. Just cut it into a block like a rice krispy cake and you don't even need a plate.

Russian dressing is an even mix of mayo, ketchup, and sweet relish. It's the same as a Big Mac's "special sauce".

Pasta heavily fried in butter? - yummmm. I might just have gained a couple of pounds thinking about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
Cold pizza (differing from hot pizza in that I definitely prefer the cold to have some spicy italian sausage on it, or cold focaccia to have some sausage in it). Which brings up an 8 x 12 photo in my kitchen.. of some focaccie (?) in a bakery window in Venice, with eyes and mouth cut out so you see the focaccia as a mask, and lots of lumps, those being sausage bits. Sort of gruesome and wonderful. But I suppose if it was leftover, it wouldn't look like a mask anymore.

Leftover pasta - I can always figure out a quick sauce or throw it into a frittata or soup.

Real favorite is leftover roast chicken, for sandwiches. Superior breakfast food.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:14 pm
you guys can stop this any time. cus im really missing home and wishing i was there eating ALL OF THIS
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:24 pm
@Seed,
Oh, seed...

well, maybe you'll get into cooking when you get back..

We all love you, you know, don't you?
Seed

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:32 pm
@ossobuco,
oh i already like cooking. Cav got me into cooking, he would always help me out with my dining plans for dates. :-D

And Yes I know you guys love me Smile I love you all as well
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 04:46 pm
left over pot roast for sandwiches. Just bread, roast and mustard..mmmm. I also like chilli the day after, it's always more intense as the spices really have time to set in.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:04 pm
@kickycan,
cold meatloaf sandwiches