why is it bad to talk bad about your previous employers?

jespah

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:06 pm
@OGIONIK,
I think the issue is -- and you may deny it but deep down I bet you know it's true -- a lack of focus.

Just focus.

On something.

Anything, almost.

School.

Travel.

Working out.

Getting your dog back.

Saving money.

Career.

Any of those are good goals. And they are all attainable.

But you need to pick one and stick with it.

And once you've stuck with it a month -- a mere 30 freakin' days; you can do that, can't you? -- then start to think about adding a second one to focus on. Then stick with both of those goals, together, for 3 months. As in 90 days. On top of the initial 30.

Then add a third goal. And stick to those three goals together for 6 months. This is on top of the 120 days for the first 2 goals.

And so on.

You see where I'm going with this?

Some of these goals will dovetail together. E. g. if you work hard and save money, you can go to school, which is a part of working on your career. Or saving money could go toward travel or getting Jefita back. Or school would be a way to concentrate on something good, and would eventually lead to better employment.

And so it goes.

I suspect you think many of us are old, boring sold-out so and so's. And perhaps you're right.

But we've got things that you haven't got.

We've got homes.

We've got families.

Many of us have pets.

We have cash on hand.

We've got food on the table.

We've got roofs over our heads.

We have jobs.

We have careers, and some of them are kind of interesting, and we're satisfied with what we do and we don't just spend our time or our employers' time trying to bullshit them.

We've got health.

We've got networks.

Many of us have love.

We have futures and we have plans and we have dreams.

And yeah, we may complain about being sold-out so and so's sometimes. But we do it every single day. This is what life is. It's a lot of getting up and doing something that's imperfect or not immediately gratifying in the service of the big picture. Do I really, really, really want to get up Monday morning at 430 AM and go off and load data? Nah. But do I want to keep my bills paid, my house in order, my family in clothes and food and shoes? Do I want to go on a nice vacation? Do I want retirement savings? Do I want to be able to help out my family or friends if they need it?

Absolutely.

So I get up.

I may grumble about it. And I may dream of doing something else. And I may work toward something else.

But in the meantime I haul ass out of bed and I do it.

And you can do it, too.

No more bluster.

No more bullshit.

Get up and do it.

You can.

I know you can.

You may not have faith in yourself but a lot of people do have that kind of faith in you.

So go for it, and do it.

What the hell are you waiting for???!??!!??
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:11 pm
@jespah,
leave it to jespah

focus, i think thats exactly what im missing. the whole issue, all my problems(rr most of em..), im just not focusing on one thing, poker, dog weightpulling, working, world ofw arcraft, my friends band, volunteering at nspca, college applications..

your totally right..

i was always a shotgun type, maybe i should be using a rifle..
or a pistol, umm yeah whatever, u get the metaphor. heh

or maybe a full customized ar15 with laser sights and night scope..
just kidding on that last one.no wonder i get nowehre, im all over. i need to relax, focus on , well i dont know? i vote housing.

but then without money no housing, so focus on my job.

no focus on getting a better job, like everyone said in the first place..

yeah ok i get the picture..
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 12:12 am
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
yeah ok i get the picture..

I hope so, or else we are going to be subject to many more of these self-indulgent pity posts.

We're counting on you Ogi --- Don't let us down.
0 Replies