why is it bad to talk bad about your previous employers?

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 05:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
thats what im here for.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 09:34 am
@chai2,
We also did a reference check with the applicant's previous employer to confirm information we learned during the interview. We always tell the previous supervisor that a) nothing will be written down, and b) it will be held in total confidence. You would be amazed at the stuff we heard about the applicant.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 09:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
i hate interviews, but im so damn good at them.

i myself am the person you call , or my cousin, for a reference Razz

sometimes i hate cheating the system, but then , umm victory is the goal, not morality. right?

damn i wish i could just start college, and begin a career making designing massive multiplayer online role playing games.

thats my goal, mmo's are the future IMO, so many people play them.

but all that technical information is gonna hammer me, that why i want to start in art, learn basic art, then learn graphic design,
move on to game art, learn to code my art,maybe throw in some website design , then learn game code in general, then move on to more technical hardware and network stuff.

thats like a 20 year+ life career plan right there..
ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@OGIONIK,
It's a small world out there.

You never know when someone (employee/supervisor/manager) from a previous employer might surface at a potential new employer. Hiring staff often pass around resumes/apps and ask if people know the person applying. Best to smile, nod, say vaguely positive things in interviews.

Talking your way out of a job you don't have isn't particularly smart.

~~~~

Gotta giggle about your belief that you could get any job currently held by an A2K'er. You haven't paid much attention to what people do, or the kinds of experience they have.

It's good to think positively, but being realistic is also good.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:40 am
@ehBeth,
its called a scam.

tell people what they want to hear and they tell you what you want to hear, until they find out you have no experience at all then they quickly give you your check and out you go.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:06 am
@OGIONIK,
ogi, It's never too late, but persistence to achieve your goal is a necessary ingredient for success. I didn't finish college until my early thirties, but worked in management for most of my working career working in a staff position for only 3.5 years after college. Luck, being at the right place at the right time, and the selection of Accounting was the key for my achievements. Much credit goes to me wife who supported me during my last year of college when I stopped work and went to school full time. She's also been supportive when I got my promotion and moved with my job. Having the responsibility for a family was the motivation to do well. I retired after 30 years of work in my field. All my siblings finished college/med school and were working long before I even contemplated college, but was the first in our family to retire.

Not bad for the yellow sheep of the family.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:21 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
Re: cicerone imposter (Post 3489972)
i hate interviews, but im so damn good at them.

i myself am the person you call , or my cousin, for a reference

sometimes i hate cheating the system, but then , umm victory is the goal, not morality. right?

ogi, you are so full of ****. don't mean that in a hateful way, you probably made a lot of people get a good laugh.

maybe for the lowest level type jobs you are applying for, that might be true. The person interview you has probably only been there for 2 weeks, and has just had his 17th birthday 3 weeks ago.

Do you really think you could get by a person who really knew how to conduct an interview? Someone who will question something until your story falls apart, or you reveal through your tone your making it all up?

puh-leeze.

I notice you didn't take me up on my offer before of explaining what made your former boss so bad.

Go ahead, try us.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:37 pm
@chai2,
tell that to the guy who scammed his way to the head of the red cross.

it works, especially for management type jobs,or high level security jobs.. its not a magic bullet , but it does work.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm
@OGIONIK,
It works only on jobs that doesn't require some previous training and experience. Most can't fake their way as an engineer without the education.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:54 pm
@OGIONIK,
Onion, I wish we had PM's...

You can get quite a ways with bullshit, but never all the way.

You are only as good long term as the pieces you are built from. (fake pieces fail quickly)

Life is a marathon, even though you feel as though everyone has sprinted away from you. (you will see some of those sprinters fallen apart on the trail if you journey far enough)

One day at a time, focused on where you really want to be.

a group of cliches, yes.

Focus.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@Rockhead,
ogi would probably make a good car salesman.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
if the economy wasnt **** i might try...

but nah, i cant sell stuff i wouldnt buy myself, and selling cars is about rushing them to buy any car they look at first..
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:06 pm
@OGIONIK,
was thinking about becoming a security consultant.

but know nothing about it. i bet id discover huge flaws though.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:27 pm
@OGIONIK,
Let's see a sample of your resume for the job of security consultant?
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
security guard for 2 years.

being a criminal for years.

problem solving and critical eye for exploiting weaknesses.

and i think id be good at it. but like i said i dont know where to start.

i dont mean program security, i mean physical security..
it seems every job i go to i end up explaining to them how to lower their loesses and shrink, but alas i concede i might not be certified for the position

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:37 pm
@OGIONIK,
ogi wrote:
Quote:
being a criminal for years.

problem solving and critical eye for exploiting weaknesses.

Those might be positives, because I know many web site hackers have become some of the best investigators. It might work, but your criminal record would have to show you have been "clean" for quite a few years, and what you have done to change.

I last few organizations I worked for also did criminal background checks before they were hired.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 01:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
i dont have a criminal record.

imagine that!

omg i should have one though, ive stolen so much ****. not for 2 years i dont feel like risking jail with ym clean record, the best thing ive got going for me, IMO.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:41 pm
@OGIONIK,
you are not the head of the red cross.

let's keep this about you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:51 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
until they find out you have no experience at all

they find out you have no experience by talking to your former co-workers/bosses - who you've bad-mouthed

you get no cheque because you don't get in the door

~~~

what's happening with getting some education to help you with getting above entry-level jobs?
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:56 pm
@ehBeth,
the whole money thing, but i mean its like kaplan college, i need to go down there but they said something thing about the fafsa and i was like **** so i put it off..

weird thing, i got off the bus, after losing my wallet came back and was looking for it, and i looked up and there was a devry billboard, brand new..

but im tired of saying im gonna do something when it turns out i really cant , not now at least.

im looking into them, financial aid is PITA >.<

well, in like a month or so ill know if i can go to either devry or kaplan, devry preferrably.