why is it bad to talk bad about your previous employers?

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:01 am
@ossobuco,
robert that was the answer i was looking for..

never be negative.ta-da. has nothing to do with reputation or being whiny, its about negativity on ANY level.

i lost one job because of talking bad about my last company, i even did it way more eloquently than i posted obviously..

but afterwards i was reading interview tips and it said dont talk about your company or managers badly in any way and i was like wow that was it, why i didnt get hired, ever since then i was like WHY?

might i add a lil comment, i could prolly get any job you people have, but i might not be qualified, and fail horribly. but believe me, id get the damn job.

i have no problems selling myself, its the little things (i really had noone there to teach me, social stuff, yaddd yadda, u know? so im lost on quite a few aspects of the "real word workplace" )resumes? wtf? oh great, and theres a cover letter too? WTF IS GOING ON, i know about them know due to the internet, but before was i lost utterly.

i appreciate any tips given, and dont take any of the negative comments to heart. love ya anyways mateys
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:03 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Bill a hothead, but he's got a point dude. People go out of their way to help you, and you don't like to play the apprentice. It's not a big deal, and I know you are absorbing a lot of it even if you are too proud to show it, but when people are going out of their way to teach you, they like to see that acknowledgment that it did something. Now I don't think you can really change the way you are, you don't want to own up to your ignorance and don't want to play the eager student but that's what they are talking about.

You can't be both the sensei and the student all the time, so if you go out of your way to ask for advice and then brush it all off so offhandedly it can have the feeling of futility for those on the other end.

i know, i have to stop that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:03 am
@ossobuco,
I would never argue that you (of all A2K members) do.

If you cannot discern where my sarcasm and my full blown beliefs diverge, my job is done.

But here --- let's help, if we can, Ogi.

If he blows us off in no uncertain terms then I am all for crushing the shite.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nods to Finn (well, I think so)..

but to Ogi, quoting him...

"i mean if I did a horrible job in my workplace, and used them as a reference, would they say good things about me?

i bet not! a one way street it seems.."

Sorry, kid, you seem to be living in a never was world.

What, tell me, what, is the charm of shining everyone on at all times? Do you think you are winning something by blowing people around?

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:16 am
@ossobuco,
i dont understand...

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:26 am
@OGIONIK,
Good luck then bud
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:27 am
@OGIONIK,
You said a few posts back that you could get my job. No, honey, you couldn't.

You come across as a blowhard. This may or may not work for a bit at some lower levels. I'm doubting it'll work in these economic times, even at lower levels, but, hey, maybe.

Your blowhard enthusiasm will peter out.

I do hope you stop yelling and start reading.

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:31 am
@ossobuco,
i could, i just might not be any good at it and lose it after the first week.

i didnt specify yours i meant everyones in general.

there are limits, with technical jobs its harder, googling the questions makes it easier but ehh..

i dont yell, im just over aggressive in my wording.

:/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:42 am
@OGIONIK,
I don't mean to batter you, Ogi.
I quit a job after 13 day m'self.

Still, all I seem to read from you is how horrible anything that requires your presence is.

Do you suppose that every one who manages, even now, to own a house, usually husband and wife, likes their every moment at the office/offices?

In the hood, there are words for the vulnerable. Life there is tricky.

Tell us how you want to live.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:44 am
@OGIONIK,
Why is it bad to talk bad about your previous employers?:

Because your next, potential employer needs to know that you are a "team player" (gag), not a trouble maker or a malcontent.

And because this next employer needs to feel assured that you'll know your proper place (!) & fity snuggly in your little cog in the wheel.

So hey, just give em what they want to hear, Ogionik! You are leaving (or have left) your previous job because you are looking for new challenges! Opportunities for advancement! Much as it saddens you to move from such a fabulous place of work! (Keep a straight face & look em straight in the eye when you say this.)

Get the position. Do a reasonable job & get a reasonable wage ..... & live better than when you were without work & a salary. And join the union if it's half decent & works for you. That's all that you need to do. You don't have to sell your soul. Just remember that work is only a part of your life!

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:49 am
@msolga,
Oh, wait. Need to follow...
msolga

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:54 am
@ossobuco,
OK! Smile
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 01:31 am
@msolga,
i like the wheel cog haha.

the union is horrible right now, they is NO work, they laid off like 3000 people.

3 projects ran out of investors and money, im in the union but they dont call, im paying 60 a month too.
sorta sucks but eh..
msolga

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 01:52 am
@OGIONIK,
Sorry to hear it's so tough for you, Og. It's heading this way in many places, sadly. As you'd most likely know.

Hang in there, though ... & keep a straight face in those interviews. Remember, you are the man for the job!

Good luck!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:43 am
I think the two most important things said here so far were:

2nd runner up, Robert Genteel': "That doesn't make sense is code for I don't like it"

The winner......and one of my all time favorite posters.......

ci, when he said "Don't burn bridges"

Complaining about former employers so directly in very short-sighted.

For the pleasure of the 1 minute of telling someone else how much your former boss sucked, you fall out of the running for a job you might have gotten and enjoyed for years to come.

To put it in simple terms Ogio, what is your goal?

To get a job (hopefully a good one).

What's one of the things that will turn a prospective employer off to you?

Bitching about a former boss.

Seems like a no brainer to me. And no, I don't see this as a cop-out or "giving in to the Man"

Say there's a girl you really like, I mean really like, not just physically.

You've researched her by observing her, listening to what she says to people, find her intelligent and someone you think you would like to spend quite a bit of time with getting to know personally. She might not be "the one", but you think you won't know for sure unless you get to know her one on one.

You ask her on a date, she accepts.

You take her someplace nice, someplace you know she would like. You dress nicely, knowing that will please her, and make her smile at how sharp you look. You settle down for some conversation, sharing with each other what kind of stuff you like to do, discovering common interests, etc.

Somehow during your conversation, the subject of a former girlfriend comes up, pertainent to what you were talking about.

You proceed to tell her how the old gf totally screwed with your head, what a bitch she was, how she cheated on you, how stupid she turned out to be, blah blah blah....maybe not all this stuff all at once, but enough to show you don't mind just trashing her.

The girl becomes more quiet, the evening lags, when you take her home, she's ambivilent about accepting your invitation for another date.

Back up in time a little. When the subject of the gf comes up, you either talk about the good times with her, or, if this very interesting woman asks you why you broke up (I mean, you had all these good times with her). You respond more like "Well, we did have a good thing for quite a while. I guess I was first attracted to her because she was smart, funny, we like the same kind of music (etc), but, eventually, we found we were just heading in different directions. Rather than let it get to the point where we were bitter, we decided to part ways. I mean, she's a nice person and all. It just didn't work out."

DING DING DING! You get a 2nd date.

Why would discussing a former employer at a job interview be any different?

In both cases, you're looking for a long term relationship.

Ogio, decide what hill you want to die on.

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:20 am
@chai2,
lol
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:35 am
@OGIONIK,
what's so funny?

It's the truth. Work is a relationship you have to work at like any other.
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
@chai2,
oh...

you might go out on a date with a girl, and bitch about an old girlfriend and get a 2nd date with her, but, what does that say about the girl who would accept such a situation?

What's her thought process? "Well yeah, he complained about his old gf all night, but he's so CUTE. I mean, that was kinda bad how he talked about her, saying she was a slut and everything, but I'm not like that, and I haven't had a boyfriend for almost 2 WEEKS now! I just can't figure out how I just can't keep a boyfriend for more than a month without him getting all mean and everything. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep going out with every guy that asks me out."

The other girl knows her worth, and isn't going to settle for less than is worthy of her.

In the same way, a business who has a high turnover rate as far as employees may not be inately bad, but they just accept any tom dick or harry that comes in the door. For instance, you were saying you "weren't paid for a month and a half, and they always forgot hours and overtime"....well, #1, I'd like to hear their side of it before I give judgement, but could it be the company hired the first person who walked in the door to do their payroll? Could the payroll person have just walked in the door and gotten the job, even though she complained about her former boss who was always mad at her, just because she "made a few mistakes"? Mean old boss.

Do a little research before the interview to see how the people already working there like it.

During the interview, ask how long the other employees have worked there.
Are they gone within 6 months? Have most of the people been there 1, 2, 5 years and more? Must be a reason for both.

When I set up someone for the next step, a group interview, I always mention a few things. I let the person know that the reason for this next step, and for the ones that will hopefully follow it (including yes, another interview) is so not only do we have a chance to see if they fit in with our environment, but for them to judge and think about if they would be happy here. I'll also mention that all of the people on the interview team have been with the company 10 years or more, and so have I. So, whoever they are talking to are people who are the true face of the company.

Set you standards high ogio, and act accordingly.
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:33 pm
@chai2,
oh....(last thing and I promise not another consecutive post)

What you said, and what others alluded to about lying, or saying what the other person wants to hear?

Don't back on that. It won't stand up to followup questions.

Nothing's funnier than listening to someone's line of bullshit, and then just asking, "tell me more about that", "give me an example of when that happened" "I'm not understanding what you mean, please explain"....I'll just keep asking until they really say something that's true, or, I'll leave it alone for a bit, then circle back around, again, and again, and again, if I feel there's more to it.

Also....you comment to Robert of "that's the answer I've been waiting for". What's that mean? You didn't like the other answers and so you discounted them?

I see a lot of people, especially in the relationship threads here (and in real life) who keep asking "what's wrong" and don't want to hear the simple truth. They'll ask the same question until someone says what they want to hear.

Ok, here's your answer. All those people who won't hire you, especially when you tell them your old boss was stupid and sucked are just douchebags. I mean, what do they know anyway? They should just hire you, and they better not start acting stupid like your old bosses did.

ok, I'm gone, the turkey's almost done. Happy Thanksgiving!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:09 am
@OGIONIK,
I have to tell you Ogi, you've done what no one else on A2K has been able to do: Generate a combined and similar series of response from the Left and Right on A2K.

It has heartened me.