t-bone streaks and democrats

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:04 am
so tomorrow I will be surrounded by 3 democrat apologists around a table of smoked turkey, baked ham, dressing, cranberry something and a pumpkin. Were it up to me we would be having t-bone steaks, baked spuds, green beans, fresh baked sourdough bread and finished with apple pie. well at least I selected the wine (a nice chilean cab and a portugese vino verde. BBB, Osso and lady Diane will prattle on about nearly nothing and I will smile on ocassion as if I am listening. Perhaps some Makers Mark will help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,753 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@dyslexia,
Go easy on the hugging while you're listening to the ladies prattle. BBB broke some of her ribs a few days ago and is still rather tender.

Would love to see some photos of all of you if someone will make an effort to snap a few. Wish I was there to help you fill the voids in conversation, Dys. Hopefully, you'll be able to get in a word or two. Laughing
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:32 am
@Butrflynet,
Diane and I have already decided that if Dys starts acting like an anarchist elitest, we will give him a dunce cap and make him sit in the corner.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:33 am
@Butrflynet,
If you move to Albuquerque, Butrflynet, you can join our harassment of Dys.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:04 am
@Butrflynet,
flutterby said
Quote:
you'll be able to get in a word or two

yeah, right!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:35 am
Why do you hate Thanksgiving?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Why do you hate Thanksgiving?
It's so fowl.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:49 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

so tomorrow I will be surrounded by 3 democrat apologists around a table of smoked turkey, baked ham, dressing, cranberry something and a pumpkin. Were it up to me we would be having t-bone steaks, baked spuds, green beans, fresh baked sourdough bread and finished with apple pie. well at least I selected the wine (a nice chilean cab and a portugese vino verde. BBB, Osso and lady Diane will prattle on about nearly nothing and I will smile on ocassion as if I am listening. Perhaps some Makers Mark will help.

You have my profound sympathy Dys. When the going gets tough I will be with you in spirit. BBB, OSSO and Diane certainly suggest a rather formidable concentration of feminine certainty and self-righteousness - and, of course, charm. (The thing about women is they really believe all that stuff they say: guys know better than to really believe all that BS.)

The environment here is different - in the main the family is more conservative than I (though #2 daughter is an unrepentant Obamaniac and one daughter-in-law is very suspect, probably just faking it for me). Wife & sons make me look almost left wing. (Perhaps this can help you better understand the moderation with which I approached the disputation on A2K.)

Please tell BBB that I attended the annual Thanksgiving Organized labor luncheon yesterday, hosted by the Seafarers International in San Francisco. (I have lots of Labor Boss buddies.) Most of the Northern California Democrat Congressional delegation was there (nearly all women) including Barbara Lee (the new head of the House Black Caucus); the woman (forget her name) recently appointed to fill Tom Lantos' seat; and others. Nanci Pelosi even stopped by - probably one of three or four ritual stops for her on a week back home. It was a bit frightening to hear all the class warfare political rhetoric from them, and amusing to watch the ritual hugs and passing of envelopes to them by the various union bosses. Lots of rejoicing about their expected success in passing legislation overturning the present requirement for secret ballots among workers in enterprises targeted for organization by Labor Unions. Once passed the unions will be able to go back to their historical intimidation and ballot box stuffing - perhaps Acorn will even help.

In any event we still mave much for which to be thankful. However, as always, humor and a rich sense of irony are necessary ingredients for getting through it all. In both categories you are well endowed.

I found some neglected Caymus 1996 Cabernet in the basement which I will consume myself - the others will be distracted by the sweet reislings and airy sauvingon blancs they love so well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:10 pm
@dyslexia,
You forgot the mashed potatoes and gravy, a promised highlight for me.

George, that cabernet sounds tip top, please enjoy it! (she says demandingly).

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Broken ribs, oh, no....

On the photos, I may force myself to bring and use my digital camera instead of my trusty old Nikon ordinaire. I somehow refuse to learn to use the digicam, and this would be a good excuse. Of course, then I'd have to figure out how to upload the pics to my computer, but I still have the book of directions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:21 pm
@dyslexia,
Adds, I do like turkey from time to time, including on Thanksgiving. I like it enough that I'm going to spatchcock (butterfly) my own small turkey in a few weeks. Though I might like to try cooking a goose, I'm afeared I'd somehow set my house afire in the doing.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@dyslexia,
What time is the streaking?

Just a suggestion, but you should go before you eat. Helps in working up a good appetite, and no one likes to see a streaker vomiting their Thanksgiving meal by the side of the road.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
@dyslexia,
I saw no mention of dessert.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:55 pm
@roger,
If I know my BBB as well as I think I do, dessert is probably the cranberry something that Dys mentioned. She's probably making her famous Ceylon Ruby Crustless Pie.

I have ordered some fresh cranberries to stick in the freezer for future batches of the stuff myself.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I saw no mention of dessert.
pumpkin pie for the demicrats, apple pie for rational logical liberal elitists. roger gets a dish of cottage cheese and sanka coffee.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 02:16 pm
@dyslexia,
What, I can't have both?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 02:58 pm
HAH!! There's dyslexia out there begging for sympathy and more attention for himself. Well, himself loves being surrounded by women, so all of you just ignore the complaints. Plus, if he gets tired, he simply goes to bed without telling anyone. Really. His protective strategies are straightforward, leaving no room for argument. He just disappears. Drives me crazy, but I have to admire him for his ability to ignore the nicities of society when it is convenient. It takes nerve and makes me a little jealous.

Roger, never worry, you know that I will save a piece of apple pie for you. And how about Jamaica Blue coffee instead of Sanka. There is no Sanka in our house nor will there ever be.

Butrfly, we will be gentle with your mom, not to worry. Hopefully, you will be here for Christmas. Another woman at the table will be enough to make Dys swoon in overwhelming exposure to all that estrogen. Though, for your mom, me and osso, there isn't much estrogen to be found, so you are just what we need.

George, nice to see you. Your sense of humor makes a wonderful foil for Dys. That would be a conversation I would love to hear. BTW, I would have followed you down to the basement to make you share that cab with me. Can't stand that other crap.

georgeob1

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 03:20 pm
@Diane,
Well, Diane we both know that your Dys is a committed contrarian. His conservative pretense is merely a reaction to you and your female friends. In my presence he would likely morph into a flaming liberal - just to piss me off. (I don't even dare to imagine how BBB would react to me.) I can tell from your descriptions (and the persistent overtones of wifely patient exasperation & bemused tolerance) that Dys is well tended.

You can follow me down to the basement anytime babe.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

HAH!! There's dyslexia out there begging for sympathy and more attention for himself. Well, himself loves being surrounded by women, so all of you just ignore the complaints. Plus, if he gets tired, he simply goes to bed without telling anyone. Really. His protective strategies are straightforward, leaving no room for argument. He just disappears. Drives me crazy, but I have to admire him for his ability to ignore the nicities of society when it is convenient. It takes nerve and makes me a little jealous.

He only pulls that maneuver on those he trusts with the silver foil.

Roger, never worry, you know that I will save a piece of apple pie for you. And how about Jamaica Blue coffee instead of Sanka. There is no Sanka in our house nor will there ever be.

What can I say, he once said he liked the coffee at Flying Star, but maybe he was just being nice.

Butrfly, we will be gentle with your mom, not to worry. Hopefully, you will be here for Christmas. Another woman at the table will be enough to make Dys swoon in overwhelming exposure to all that estrogen. Though, for your mom, me and osso, there isn't much estrogen to be found, so you are just what we need.

I still have a surplus of estrogen in my fat cells... and probably coating the wires in my brain.

George, nice to see you. Your sense of humor makes a wonderful foil for Dys. That would be a conversation I would love to hear. BTW, I would have followed you down to the basement to make you share that cab with me. Can't stand that other crap.

I'm sorry I never got to meet George back in California; meantime CJane and Mame are doing a nice job of containing his palaver.

0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:27 pm
@georgeob1,
George, under that contrarian exterior, you will find a sweet, gentle, softie, but don't tell him I said so.

And, sweet thang, I'll follow you down to the basement as long as you keep it well stocked with good cabernets.