An injury in a mortar attack doesn't count as a "combat" injury?

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:53 pm
This makes me angry...

Read what injuries suffered by our men and women in Iraq are not being called "combat injuries".

Quote:

Marine Cpl. James Dixon was wounded twice in Iraq -- by a roadside bomb and a land mine. He suffered a traumatic brain injury, a concussion, a dislocated hip and hearing loss. He was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Army Sgt. Lori Meshell shattered a hip and crushed her back and knees while diving for cover during a mortar attack in Iraq. She has undergone a hip replacement and knee reconstruction and needs at least three more surgeries.

Does anyone think that providing the best care possible to these soldiers isn't the right thing to do?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-combat25-2008nov25,0,3682816.story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,800 • Replies: 9
No top replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:06 pm
They knew what chances they were takeing when they volunteered. Ask Bush.
Seed

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:11 am
@rabel22,
thats a horrible out look. Just because we knew the chances when we volunteered does not mean that those that get injured should get screwed out of the benefits that they signed up for. To have those benefits changed was not part of the "chances" we volunteered for.

Nor was the fact of having those who are supposed to take care of us ditching us for something as petty as this.

Those people put their life on the line and should be compensated.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 12:13 pm
@Seed,
yeah i think they should recieve 100% medical.

everything. even if they are on leave and fall down stairs.

0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:23 am
Quote:
Meshell, who is appealing her status, estimates she is losing at least $1,200 a month in benefits. Despite being injured in a combat zone during an enemy mortar attack, she said, her wounds would be considered combat-related only if she had been struck by shrapnel.

Unbelievable. I wish the media and newspapers would report more on this side of the military efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. You almost never hear or read in the main news the human side of the war efforts in terms of actual people and their experiences or even of deaths. I suppose those who imply or outright say that criticizing anything in the US military is working for the enemy would rather just cover this kind of stuff up and let it continue.
Seed

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 09:23 am
@revel,
I just cant believe someone would say "they knew what they were getting into" That just blows my mind. Kinda makes me feel like what Im fighting for is null and void.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:12 am
@Seed,
I suspect that Rabel was being sarcastic. The last sentence is a give away.
Seed

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:46 am
@ebrown p,
If he was, then I apologize. I am not quick to pick up on political satire
rabel22

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:42 am
@Seed,
Sorry seed. I thought that most would pick up on the fact that they vollunteered for the military, but Bush volunteered them for Iraq.
Seed

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:45 am
@rabel22,
It's all good. Smile
0 Replies