My Aunt Died Last Night

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:38 am
This was my father's sister...raised me as much as anyone did since my real parents couldn't be bothered. She was a well loved and respected figure everywhere and by everyone. Worked for Babcock & Wilcox for many years in a high position with security. Virtually ran a big church in Lynchburg. President of the Altrusa club. Active in all her son's sporting activities. Smart as a whip, inquisitive and kind to a fault. Also tough as nails having to deal with 3 headstrong boys all the time. Served the Red Cross overseas in WWII. she passed away last night in her sleep. She was not sick, she was not senile...she was just very old.

These are times when I want to believe there is a Heaven.

I could write a book about her good qualities and positive anecdotes.

I would be hard pressed to fill a page with negative ones if I could even do it.

R.I.P. Natalie Lampman

Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
thoughts with you and yours today bear.

May she rest in peace.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I'm sorry for your loss, Bear. It's never easy when a loved one dies. It's doubly hard when she was such an important part of your life.

I don't believe in Heaven but I do believe in souls. In my belief the souls stay here with us and provide us with the guidance that the person did IRL. May her soul stay beside you always and may she rest in peace.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:54 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like a Great Lady.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:54 am
sorry bear.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:57 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You were very fortunate to have a person like her in your life. For you she has not died, but will live on in your memories. May she rest in peace.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:58 am
Sorry to hear Steve...she sounds like a great woman.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:59 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
There will be a void in your life, bear, but not in hers. That's what we have to hold on to when a loved one dies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:01 am
May she rest in piece. And she'll be with you all the time in your memories.

My sympathy for the loss, Steve.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:18 am
SYmpathies and hope that her memories will be warm ones among you and your brothers.

Why dont you write some about her, I think wed all enjoy hering about her in greater depth.
Izzie

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:24 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
So very sorry Bear for your loss - your Aunt sounds a truly wonderful lady - you were blessed to have her in your life. ((Bear, Squinney, cubs and family))
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
Your memories of your aunt-mother will comfort you and make your sorrow easier to bear. She was a treasure.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:37 am
@farmerman,
these guys were my cousins but they were like brothers. she buried the oldest, Tom at the age of 36 and her father, my grandfather about 10 days later. Pete and I are now the patriarchs of the family. He's 62 I think, I'm about to turn 60. Me, a patriarch. that's ******* scary.

We have all been married and divorced a few times so there are so many mates, ex mates, children, half children, step children, cousins, nieces and nephews it defies all understanding but everyone, once having been a family member was always a family member to Aunt Natalie. At thanksgiving we had a parade of people that stretched a block in and out of her house. Thanksgiving was our big holiday because it involved eating, drinking and football.

After she sold the house and moved into an assisted living facility a couple of years ago we all began to drift, which was to be expected I suppose. She was the glue that held the family together. I don't think Pete and I are up to that job. squinney and I had as many family members as possible...mostly our kids and possibly her sister coming to out house this year. That may change as we may get together for one last family Thanksgiving now. Then we will drift. funny how you get to a point and it's only death that really brings us all together. Perhaps that is one of it's functions.

It is also a reminder of just how important you are as an individual which is not really. My beloved Aunt Natalie.... mother, friend, grandmother, wife, lover, daughter, sister....she is gone. and everyone is going about their business...the world is still turning. I have already made a joke or two and have shared laughter with a couple of family members.

What does this mean? It means that if a wonderful person like her has not caused the world to grind to a halt with her passing....certainly when I go it will be a non event. The lesson here.... get over yourself. Perhaps this is also a function of death.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:40 am
My deepest sympathies, bear. As everyone else has already said, your memories of her are going to sustain you. God bless.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:04 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
condolences, bear...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:12 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
So sorry Bear. I do believe there is a heaven with all my heart, and be assured your loved one is there.
jespah

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
I'm so sorry to read this, Steve. Peace to you and yours.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
I'm sorry, bear. Condolences.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

SYmpathies and hope that her memories will be warm ones among you and your brothers.

Why dont you write some about her, I think wed all enjoy hering about her in greater depth.

Exactly what he said.

Hugs to Bear, and we'd like to hear more.
0 Replies