Advertisements that Have Turned You Off Products

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
Cool! Must buy skittles.....(only I prefer Smarties...)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:02 am
@DrewDad,
I agree that the Wendy's ad is obnxious. I used to like it much better when Dave Thomas came on with his folksy brand of ads. Problem is, I LIKE Wendy's food (especially the chili and the Asian Salad), so I will give them a pass on that ridiculous ad.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:40 am
@Robert Gentel,
The truth in advertising here is: Skittles are for sexually ambiguous, masochistic, bootlicking sycophants.

There's a brand identity for you.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:48 am
I used to cringe when I saw one of those Infiniti ads with Jonathan Pryce. They reeked snobbery and elitism.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:05 am
My all time least favorite commercial was the one where the mom and daughter are walking down the beach and the daughter confesses to not always feeling so "fresh" so the mom recommends her favorite brand of douche.

I talk to my mom about all kinds of stuff but the freshness of my vagina isn't one of them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:17 am
The Burger King king is high on my list of ad images that really make me recoil. There is something about him that is just almost....disgusting.

But the ads I sigh at the most are the Geico gecko ones. You can't understand the little bugger or he speaks so softly you can't hear him without cranking up the volume--no I do NOT do that. They used to use him in mildly amusing situations, but no more. He simply lectures...badly....and is just inane.

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 09:40 am
@Foxfyre,
Among commercials I hate is this one, but I have to admit it is effective. It really drills that phone number into your head and you remember it after seeing the commercial:

But do we HAVE to have four minutes of interminable commercials interrupt whatever we are watching at 10-minute intervals? Does anybody actually pay attention to that string of commercials?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:19 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
But do we HAVE to have four minutes of interminable commercials interrupt whatever we are watching at 10-minute intervals? Does anybody actually pay attention to that string of commercials?

They have these devices now, which allow you to record a show and watch it later. This may just sound like it delays your show, but you can use a technology called fast forward to fly past those commercials.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:20 am
@DrewDad,
Commercials have to be pretty clever to stop the old fast-forward now.

We were zipping past some in the latest Big Bang Theory, but had to stop and go back to see why there was a naked man standing in someone's living room....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:50 am
Why do they always put adult diaper ads on when you're eating dinner?
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:51 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

They have these devices now, which allow you to record a show and watch it later. This may just sound like it delays your show, but you can use a technology called fast forward to fly past those commercials.

Well yeah, if you want to wait. My point though, is what are the advertisers getting out of it if nobody watches or fast forwards through the commercials? Looks like fewer, but well designed interesting commercials that grab your attention would be far more effective.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:55 am
@cjhsa,
Not only adult diaper ads, but as Boomer said also feminine hygiene ads, treatment for the trots or constitipation or hemorhhoids, etc. And that ad where they chase the guy down to wrest his long lasting chewing gum from him? I wouldn't buy that brand of gum--whatever it is--for anything based on that one ad.

Also there is a Crystal Springs bottled water company here that designs their local ads around the New Mexico Lobos. One of them has a guy delivering the commercial talking like he is under water suggesting that everybody gargle with Crystal Springs after screaming for the Lobos. It always makes me gag. Not a big incentive to want to drink the water for sure.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:58 am
The worst for me is not one individual ad itself, but when the SAME AD gets ran back-to-back. Literally right next to each other. I then and there swear off those products.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:01 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Well yeah, if you want to wait.

You're waiting one way or another, anyway.

With a DVR, you can wait 10 or 20 minutes into the program (depending on whether it's a 1/2 hour or 1 hour show), start watching, and finish at the same time as everyone else.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:03 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Well yeah, if you want to wait.

You're waiting one way or another, anyway.

With a DVR, you can wait 10 or 20 minutes into the program (depending on whether it's a 1/2 hour or 1 hour show), start watching, and finish at the same time as everyone else.

The DVR is great. I now watch TV on my schedule instead of the programmers' desired schedule; you don't have to wait 10 or 20 minutes when you get used to watching everything a day later.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:03 am
@Foxfyre,
If nobody watched commercials, I imagine advertisers wouldn't get anything out of it. However the number of people who watch and make decisions based on commercials is far from zero.

Some studies show that commercials work (although, to a lesser degree) even when people fast forward them.

Heck, I know I've bought things as a result of commercials. I've seen a Wendys commercial before and gone "Mmmm, I haven't had wendys in a long time". Or "Wow, the italian chicken is back at burger king! I know where I'm going for lunch..." I can't think of any non-food examples, for me personally though.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:21 am
@Nick Ashley,
You're probably right. I have checked into products that I saw advertised on TV. But usually when fast forwarding I don't even see what the ads are. Maybe I'm getting subliminal signals. I have quite a bit of experience with newspaper and magazine advertising--size, placement, colors and type size used, etc. are all important--but little experience with radio or television.
Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:26 am
Shamwow . . . there is an announcer who calls himself Vince, and i find him so irritating that whenever the Shamwow commercial comes on, i change the channel or turn off the tee vee.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@Setanta,
Amen.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:51 am
@Foxfyre,
I would argue (and the article touches on this) that while fast forwarding through ads, you only recognize those you've seen before. Its not that you see the company logo, or realize what they are selling based on the few blips of frames you see. Instead, it's more of a "Hey, there's that dude with the red ponytail wig on. I must be missing a Wendy's commercial. Mmmm, I haven't had Wendy's for awhile. That sounds good"

I really am going to grab some Wendys in about 20 min.
0 Replies