Great Britain Considering a Ban on "Happy Hours"

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 01:22 pm
Quote:
Britain is considering a ban on "happy hour" discounts at bars and restaurants to curb drinking, a spokesman said Saturday, as health advocates warned that a rise in liver-related deaths among young people may signal a future epidemic.
Health officials will decide on whether to ban the happy hours"designated times for discount drinks"once an independent policy review is published in coming weeks, a health department spokesman said on customary condition of anonymity.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-11-22_D94K34B00&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Oh, the shame of it all. Imagine an England where you can't get your fill of booze at a discount price. I never thought of Great Britain as a "nanny state".

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,818 • Replies: 12
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 01:30 pm
You would think that in these times of global economic turmoil one would encourage the citizenry the offer of a less expensive drink.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 01:32 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I remember when they first got rid of Happy Hour drinks here in Canada about 20 - 25 years ago. It did make a difference in how people behaved.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Oh, the shame of it all. Imagine an England where you can't get your fill of booze at a discount price. I never thought of Great Britain as a "nanny state".

Well, how do you call a state where you must be 21 until you are allowed to drink and get jailed when you do it before?

From the Telegraph:
Quote:
Ministers also want to force drinks companies to carry health warnings on television adverts for beer, wine and spirits.

And cans and bottles of alcoholic drinks may have to bear cigarette-style medical advice about the dangers of drinking.

The announcement of the plans in 10 days' time will coincide with the start of the Christmas party season when police forces and hospitals see a major rise in alcohol-related offences and admissions to accident and emergency departments.

Ministers have drawn up a new draft code of conduct for the drinks industry amid growing concern about excessive drinking.

Alcohol misuse is said to cost society up to £25billion annually, with the cost to the NHS running at £2.7billion a year.

I'm not sure if this will help to get the British drinking problem solved (the police, health organisations, local governments,parliament, tourist boards ...do so).
But since other ideas failed ...

Last week, in Wales, the Archbishop of Wales, Dr Barry Morgan, and Barbara Wilding, chair of the Wales Association of Chief Police Officers, caledl upon drinkers to sign up to an online pledge vowing to cut back.
In an open letter to Welsh media they warned people in Wales to choose their friends and family carefully because the country was "a very violent place" with a binge drinking "culture".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 01:51 pm
@ehBeth,
The UK's law is said to be similar to the Canadian.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 03:22 pm
Thats the only way I can take the Brits, when theyre drunk , they try to get poetic and make believe theyre Irish or Russian. Then they start brawls and knock each others teeth out. Look at yer typical UKers mouth
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 03:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In that case, they'll just have to get used to eating more with each drink. They replaced Happy Hour drinks with Happy Hour 1/2 price appetizers here. Works for me, as I drink rarely - but I do love calimari.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
They outlawed "happy hour" here in Massachusetts at least 10 or 12 years ago. I don't know if it's made any difference in terms of the amounts of alcohol consumed. Over-the-bar prices are so exhorbitant now that only the well-to-do go to bars any more anyway. If alcohol consumption has decreased, it's no doubt due to the fact that street drugs are cheaper (and probably easier to obtain -- ask any schoolboy); off-premises liquor stores still do a brisk business -- mostly wine now as a bottle of good scotch will cost you a day's pay.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 06:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
here in Canada about 20 - 25 years ago. It did make a difference in how people behaved

Did they also get rid of all those 'Drink Canada Dry' signs? That may help too...
djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 06:29 pm

The Housemartins - Happy Hour
Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:33 pm
@djjd62,
Youtube: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xrDSh7WWdZs

Britpop!! Bollocks!!

Here's a video of some Aussie lads and lasses out for 'Happy Hour'; September 1979, The Star Hotel in Newcastle - Cold Chisel supply the music.

Quote:
chant started and the crowd out on the street started to call out "Pigs!"

The mob started throwing stones, bottles and beer cans, but they soon got stuck into police cars, and police officers.

Two cars were burnt out, 14 officers and 8 civilians were injured and 29 people were arrested
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:44 pm
People who live on an island can develop differences in the respective culture, due to the greater isolation of an island, in my opinion.

Having given the world English to speak, what else have they done?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:

Did they also get rid of all those 'Drink Canada Dry' signs? That may help too...

I can report from personal experience that it is quite impossible to drink Canada 'dry.'
0 Replies