Michael Mukasey The Tyrant

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:17 pm
Excerpts from Attorney General Mike Mukasey's speech last night:

Quote:
Earlier this year, the head of a legal organization that prides itself on what it calls its "nonpartisan approach to the law" gave a speech condemning what he called "the oppressive, relentless, and lawless attack by our own government on the rule of law and our liberty." According to this person, we live now in a--"time of repression" where the "word 'Patriot' names a statute that stifles liberty," and where we face "assaults by our government on constitutional rights, the Separation of Powers, and the Geneva Conventions." You can practically hear the rumble of tanks in the background.

It is interesting--and telling--that even in the published, written version of these remarks by a lawyer, the references and footnotes are not to statutory texts, the Constitution, treaties, or laws. Instead, the author relied on such authorities as the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the New York Review of Books. This style of criticism can be called many things--provocative perhaps, or evidence that the author could be regarded by some as well-read--but what it cannot be called is a reasoned legal critique.

Also completely absent from these remarks, and from many remarks like it, is any fair appraisal of the legal issues actually involved or an acknowledgement of the difficulty or novelty of the legal questions confronted by the administration lawyers who made these decisions.

Quote:
"I suspect, and I admit it is a suspicion tinged with hope, that the next administration will maintain far more of this administration's legal architecture than the intemperate rhetoric in some quarters would seem to suggest."

What he said!

BTW - During the speech and before AG Mukasey passed out, some fool in the audience stood up and shouted

Quote:
"Tyrant! You are a tyrant!"

This is just the sort of overblown nonsense that Mukasey was condemning.

What never ceases to amuse me is how these Patrick Henry wannabes consider themselves to be courageous.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 809 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 04:00 pm
Quote:
Justice Richard Sanders of Washington's state Supreme Court has confessed that he was the man who yelled "Tyrant!" at Attorney General Michael Mukasey during Mukasey's speech last week, the Seattle Times reports:
In the initial days after the event, Sanders, when questioned by other reporters, danced around whether he was the person who shouted at Mukasey. He wouldn't confirm it, nor would he deny it.
But on Tuesday, Sanders told The Seattle Times that he'd simply reached the point where he couldn't remain silent.
"Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine there would be any mention of this in the press," he said. "But here we are."
The state's Code of Judicial Conduct requires judges to be "dignified" toward those they deal with "in their official capacity."
Asked if his outburst might violate that code, Sanders said: "Well, it's so open-ended and vague, maybe someone would think that it could apply. I don't know. I think it's a free-speech activity. In my mind this had nothing to do with my role as a judge."
Asked if it was dignified, Sanders said: "I think it was an impulse. . . . At that particular time, I didn't have a chance to reflect on it. I didn't plan it out in advance. It just happened."
He left before Mukasey's speech was finished, Sanders said, because "I wasn't enjoying myself."
0 Replies