Fringe -- this decade's "The X Files?"

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:48 am
I got hooked on the show right away -- great stories, scripts, actors and special effects. There is an undercurrent of conspiracy just like "The X Files," but it even delves further into a kind of metaphysical science bordering on alchemy! It's this decades answer to "X Files." J. J. Abrams, who is also doing the new Star Trek movie with a young Kirk and Spock, has a unique talent.

The "apple" episode last night was tantilizing.
Joshua Johnson is the most interesting character but they're all character studies, even moreso than "The X Files."

Anyone else been watching?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,149 • Replies: 42
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:50 am
@Lightwizard,
LW, I haven't heard of this show. Is it on a cable channel?
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:52 am
@mac11,
It's on FOX, Channel ll in HD -- I believe across the nation and it is on Tuesday nights at 9 right after "House." I had to record it for later as I was watching the enthralling PBS NOVA on the First Testament and when Monotheism actually took hold.
mac11

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:55 am
@Lightwizard,
Thanks, I'll look for it. (I really miss X-Files.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:02 am
@Lightwizard,
LW-Thanks for the "heads up". That seems like just the kind of program that Mr. P loves.
mismi

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'll be looking for it as well...I loved The X-Files
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:42 pm
I've been watching when I can. I think Walter's character is shaping up nicely. I'm hopeful Smile

I'm interested to know what the pictures are all about at the end of each segment before they cut to a commercial. You've seen them? I/2 an apple, a leaf, seahorse...flower. I didn't notice them until my husband mentioned them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:01 pm
@Lightwizard,
Yup, wife and I have been watching it. It's not a bad watch. It's definitely more "out there" than "X-Files".

Along the same vein is "The 11th Hour" which we also like.
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:26 am
@Reyn,
Yes, I've been DVR recording Eleventh Hour ('cause it doesn't end until the eleventh hour!) and it has a relationship to "Fringe" and "The X Files." The cryogenic episode was dynamite and like those series has several running plotthreads that get one hooked. Of course, the have all caught on to that. Of course, ever since I was introduced to Rufus Sewell (11th Hour) in Roger Eberts favorite film of that year "Dark City," I've followed his career. He is tailor made for the lead in the series.

This weeks return to the asylum episode was intense and reminded me so much of the crazy Brad Pitt asylum sequence in "Twelve Monkeys."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@Lightwizard,
I watched one episode. Recovering the last thing someone saw from an impression on their retina was just to much for me to swallow.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Not scientifically impossible.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@Lightwizard,
This weeks episoded of "Eleventh Hour" had the theme in the storyline of turning soliders into super soldiers. Chilling and real.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:08 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
. . .I was watching the enthralling PBS NOVA on the First Testament and when Monotheism actually took hold.

Damn it, I missed that show!
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 03:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
It's available online! YAY!
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:25 am
@InfraBlue,
Great news -- I didn't catch that. I want the DVD -- it's one of the most revealing documentary about how, where, and why the Old Testament was "created." It's and enthralling a illuminating revelation to nearly everyone -- except the Evangelical and even some moderate Christians won't want to swallow the bitter pill even though there are some historical confirmations that are important depending on one's viewpoint. Of course, we know, too many viewpoints are pointed all right -- unfortunately at the top of the noggin.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Not scientifically impossible.

Are you nuts?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:52 pm
@Lightwizard,
I streamed the show last night. It was a pretty good summary of some of the more recent archaeological findings, and the shifts in thought that they've produced among scholars about the origins of the ancient Israelites and their cult of Yahweh. The "Out of Egypt" myth had been questioned for years now, and the archaeology suggests that the Israelites had always been a Caananite people. The cult of Yahweh had a strong and ancient following, but the god was hardly worshipped exclusively by most Israelites, as the archaeological findings of the cult of Asherah attest to. It was only after the Babylonian exile that the priests of the cult of Yahweh were successful in purging the worship of other gods among the exiled Israelites in Mesopotamia. This wasn't in the show, but it was also around the time of the exile that the cult of Yahweh spread around the Middle East, significantly by way of Aramaean converts to the religion, some tribes of which had already been practicing the worship of the Canaanite/North Israelite god El, and by which time had been subsumed into the cult of Yahweh.
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
I haven't visited the PBS website yet where they elaborate on their documentaries with more detail and analysis. It did remember they briefly touched on the intention to purge the worship of other dieties from anyone of the Jewish faith.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
A cliff-hanger last episode to out-do even itself. I'll have to dump it out of my head until January's continuation.
Reyn

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:33 am
@Lightwizard,
Yeah, my wife and I caught that show. It leads into an interesting storyline for the next season / show.

It's really "out there". Laughing