19

Where to stay in San Francisco?

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:54 am
2 couples are travelling to San Fran for the Christmas holidays....it's a bit of a spur of the moment decision, but we want to stay together, and we want to be somewhere scenic/interesting. A beach, in a forested community, or in the heart of downtown.
I am searching vrbo.com for a place to stay, but have no idea what the disctricts are, where they are relative to one another, and if they are even desirable areas to stay.

Can anyone from the area give me hand?

Thanks
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 3,064 • Replies: 19

Diest TKO

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@candidone1,
Hmm, I can't tell you a good place to stay, but I can tell you one thing you absolutely must do while you are in SF.

Eat at "The Pizza Orgasmica"

Location and some reviews: http://local.yahoo.com/info-21386286-pizza-orgasmica-san-francisco

Beyond the name, this place is a really great place to go as a couple. I would love to take someone there. But I live across the country from it. :-(

T
K
O

cjhsa

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:07 am
If it's within your budget you really want to stay here:

http://www.sirfrancisdrake.com/

Butrflynet

0  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:21 pm
Check out the thread for the recent San Francisco Gathering. There was a lot of talk about hotels and other places for out of towners to stay. I'll do a quick search and if it comes up on Google, will post a link to it.

Okay, here's the link to the first gathering. It has most of the talk about hotels.

http://able2know.org/topic/6079-1

And here's a link to the second gathering.

http://able2know.org/topic/97755-1

Cycloptichorn

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:25 pm
@candidone1,
Depending on how tolerant you are of small rooms, there are many fine cottage hotels in Union Square, the heart of downtown SF. My fiancee and I stayed at one when we first came here and it was quite conveniently located.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I liked the Adagio, where I stayed during an a2k get together - it's on Geary, a few blocks west of Union Square.
I got a deal on it as a package with flight and hotel, via Expedia if I remember correctly.

Re another place, I hated the hotel but liked the area where I stayed when I went to a large photography show a few years ago. I'll look it up and be back with more specifics.
ossobuco

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
While I'm looking for the other one, here's a link re the Adagio -
Hotel Adagio
ossobuco

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's the bed and breakfast I didn't like so much... but liked the area:
Hotel Edward II - Lombard Street and Scott Street

It's a block inland from Chestnut Street ---- ahh, Chestnut Street! (There's a Peet's Coffee place on Chestnut, and an Emporio Rulli - a terrific italian pastry/coffee place that also has luncheon fare and probably dinner as well.)

SF map -- http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Merry Andrew

1  
Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:50 pm
@candidone1,
You didn't mention what -- if any -- budget constraints you might have. If money is no object, the Francis Drake is elegant and centrally located. But San Fran is studded with hotels in a gamut of price ranges. Last time there, wife and I stayed at the Best Western Civic Center on 9th St., just a couple of blocks from the Civic Center and the Museum of Asian Art. Very reasonable room rate, free parking, microwave and 'frige in the room.

Dinner recommendation: on the one evening you want to splurge, go to Harris' Restaurant, 2100 Van Ness Ave. Pricey but the best steak I've had in my entire life, and I've lived a fairly long life. It's apparently a well-kept secret because we dropped in on the spur of the moment, no reservations, and didn't even have to wait in line.

1  
Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@Merry Andrew,
My dear MA, You say you've had a "fairly long life?" LOL You made my day!
ossobuco

1  
Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He's baaaaaaaaaack.

Merry Andrew

1  
Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,

So happy to have pleased you, ci, old-timer. How was Bhutan?

1  
Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:40 pm
Thank you, Kaylie. I'm sure that information is helpful to all those planning to come, since SF hotels can be pretty pricey.

For those considering the Holiday Inn, Fisherman's Wharf, there's always the cable car into downtown area. There's also much to do at Fisherman's Wharf in addition to the many good seafood restaurants.

1  
Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:45 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Bhutan? That was about two lifetimes ago, and you expect me to remember that trip? LOL Actually, Bhutan is a very beautiful country with the Himalayas in their neck of the woods. Their architecture is very unique, their people friendly, with many Buddhist temples and stupas. We were also privileged to attend the king's coronation, and was able to take his picture with my zoom camera.

We spent three nights in India to visit the Kaziranga Game Park to do safaris on elephants and jeeps, and stayed at an old English resort hotel that I enjoyed.
Edric

1  
Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 12:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
these are some hotels for stay in San francisco
1.Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square
2.Hotel Drisco
3.Omni San Francisco Hotel
4.The Inn at Union Square
5.Suites at Fisherman's Wharf

ToniAndersen

1  
Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 02:07 am
@candidone1,
Hello Friends,

I really liked Hotel Carlton. Boutique hotel in Lower Nob Hill neighborhood - about 5 blocks to Union Square, 2 blocks to cable car stop. JDV has other hotels scattered around San Francisco as well.

Thanks and Regards
Toni Andersen

Rick Warren01

1  
Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 03:03 am
@candidone1,
Hello Guys,

I have stayed at both Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square, and liked Union Square better. It was just more in the middle of things and had a better "vibe." I am ok with touristy and Fisherman's Wharf was even a little too much for me.

Thanks
Rick Warren

allenginsberg

1  
Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:03 am
@candidone1,
I will suggest The Fairmont San Francisco Hotel for stay.

1  
Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 09:57 am
@allenginsberg,
I would recommend one of those boutique hotels not far from Union Square; they're cheaper and are good accommodations. Even a B&B can fit the bill.

Adityavarma

1  
Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:45 am
Known as the City by the Bay, San Francisco is arguably the most cosmopolitan and bohemian city in America. It is also one of the most beautiful, with its pretty houses and hilly streets providing beautiful views of the bay and the famous Golden Gate Bridge