Cheney indicted

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:17 pm

Vice president, former AG, state senator indicted
© 2008 The Associated Press
Nov. 18, 2008, 4:17PM McALLEN, Texas " A South Texas grand jury has indicted Vice President Dick Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on charges related to the alleged abuse of prisoners in Willacy County's federal detention centers.

The indictment criticizes Cheney's investment in the Vanguard Group, which holds interests in the private prison companies running the federal detention centers. It accuses Cheney of a conflict of interest and "at least misdemeanor assaults" on detainees by working through the prison companies.

Gonzales is accused of using his position while in office to stop an investigation into abuses at the federal detention centers.

Another indictment charges state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr. with profiting from his public office by accepting honoraria from prison management companies.

The indictments were first reported by KRGV-TV http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6119394.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,700 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:48 pm
@blueflame1,
Interesting. Still, I used to have a mutual fund with Vanguard. Should I be worried?
blueflame1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:49 pm
@roger,
You should be concerned with the actions of companies you invest in. Looking at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo and the American prison system those who invest in America should be concerned and hold leaders accountable. Cheney is a whole lot more culpable than this little indictment tells.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:55 pm
@blueflame1,
Indict me for being an American, ya lameflame POS.

http://www.thermocaster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/****-you.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:23 pm
@blueflame1,
A Houston television reporter commented that the charge against cheney would likely go nowhere.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
the Dick got REALLY good counsel.

(he shot his friend in the face and dint even get sued...)
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes and Obama's camp is saying today that no one will be charged with torture.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:38 pm
@blueflame1,
That's because water boarding is actually fun.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 04:55 am
@blueflame1,
I would expect a lot more disapointment over the next 4 years.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:38 am
@maporsche,
send them to prison.

say they were cops.

most the people there dont care about politics.

except obama
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:47 am
@blueflame1,
True torture is reading a blueflameout thread.
blueflame1

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:52 am
@cjhsa,
If so and you're reading does that make you a masichist?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:42 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Indict me for being an American, ya lameflame POS.

http://www.thermocaster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/****-you.jpg

+1
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:31 am
You know this case isnt going anywhere when the prosecutor doesnt even show up at a scheduled hearing...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Cheneys_lawyer_files_motion_to_quash_indictment.html

Quote:
RAYMONDVILLE " Willacy County prosecutor Juan Angel Guerra stumped a presiding judge and attorneys for clients as high up as Vice President Dick Cheney when he failed to show up to court on his own grand jury’s indictments.

But heres the interesting part...

Quote:
"In most of the indictments, the prosecutor identifies himself as the victim. The prosecutor has usurped for himself the role of prosecutor, judge, victim, and director of the grand jury. His conflict of interest and abuse of office require that he be stopped," Canales said.

A number of experts were shaking their heads at the indictment.

Shannon Edmonds of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association, after reviewing a faxed copy of the indictment against Cheney and Gonzales, said he’d never seen one like it.

“It’s a creative indictment, but I don’t think it properly alleges any crime,” Edmonds said. “It’s more of just a rambling narrative … I think a court will find that it’s legally insufficient in that it fails to allege a crime.”

Chip B. Lewis, a prominent criminal defense lawyer in Houston whose clients have included former Enron chairman Ken Lay, said, “It’s a shame. I’m not a Cheney supporter by any means. I’m Democrat. But the misuse of our criminal justice system is apparent … It just smacks of partisanship and it’s a shame that credence can be lent to this type of charge because you have a grand jury indictment.”
0 Replies