The War on Christmas.

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 01:48 am
Settle you two! Or I will set the ******* Christmas tree on fire!!

The Aramaic word for 'virgin' is the same as 'young woman'. Seems Joseph couldn't wait, not a huge issue. Plenty of children are born within sight of 'wedlock' - usually to the fellows what done the deed.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 01:52 am
I don't have a problem with that. And sor the best part of 2,000 years no-one gave a **** about it. Celebrate the Mass of Christ's birth in the middle of winter, then **** off home to freeze.

Then it was a bit of a reaction to Catholicism - celebrate the 'other' holy day to jam it up the Pope. I'm cool with that too. The Scots even started doing New Years to stick it to the English. Yadda, yadda...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 01:58 am
Then... in 1843 some asshole thought to themselves 'Christmas' = $$$$$$$$$$.

He came up with the frickin' Christmas Card and it all snowballed from there.

In 1903 Bing Crosby was born. That was the end of civilization as we know it, 'Homo christmasiana' was here to stay.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 02:49 am
@revel,
Quote:
Last year I woke up at four in the morning to go to Wal-mart the day after thanks giving

Why on earth would any sane person do that? Waking up at 4 a.m. is okay. (In fact it's 3:46 a.m. as I type this.) But to go into a store like Wal-Mart on Black Friday is a suicidal act. I do hope you learned your lesson, Revel.
revel

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 07:38 am
@Merry Andrew,
Yea, it was hard but I forced myself to stay home in the interest of saving money by not buying a lot of useless junk no one really wants two days after christmas. I think there should be some kind of rule that says you only have to buy gifts for kids. I mean most adults buy the things they really want themselves. I have robes stacked up in my closet because my in-laws seems to think I need a new one every year. Bringing it up reminds me that I should sneak some off to a charity somewhere; but after christmas, I am now using them to hide christmas gifts. (truly)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 06:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Unfortunately, somebody else got into Mary's panties before Joseph.

The scientific word for a virgin birth is parthenogenesis. It has been done with animals by stimulating the ovum. However, since there are no male chromosomes, the offspring are all females. So, couple that with a divine presence (for the y chromosome), and there was no need for anyone mortal to make her pregnant.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 07:34 pm
@Foofie,
The virgin birth of jesus was the wrong era; they didn't have the science to even consider any birth outside of the ovum. Your issue about the y chromosome assumes god is a man. Where's your proof? Is he a "sexual" god? He must masterbate an auful lot. ROFL
Foofie

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The virgin birth of jesus was the wrong era; they didn't have the science to even consider any birth outside of the ovum. Your issue about the y chromosome assumes god is a man. Where's your proof? Is he a "sexual" god? He must masterbate an auful lot. ROFL

Your questions are beyond my ken.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:25 am
KO - O'Reilly's War on Christmas vs WA Gov. Gregoire
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:09 am
You will buy 'Christmas' or else you pagans!! "Christians" in the US are getting all hot and bothered because Costco (no idea what that is) calls in 'holiday shopping':

Quote:
Costco says ‘No’ to Christmas…literally

Costco has 520 stores nationwide. But you will not find “Christmas” in a single store.

That’s because Costco says it will not use the term “Christmas” on its website or in its stores. Instead, Costco is telling customers it purposely chooses to use the generic “holiday” verbiage. You know, they stock holiday gifts, not Christmas gifts.

Last week, a customer wrote to Costco and asked this direct question " “Does Costco use the word ‘Christmas’ in your store advertising or on any signs anywhere in your stores during the Christmas season? That’s a pretty simple question, yes or no.”

Kory Rosacrans, staff manager for Costco replied, “I guess the answer would be No.”

Rosacrans said, “Costco does not advertise on television, on radio or in print like other retailers. We only advertise by mailings and e-mail messages sent directly to our members who have paid for the privilege of shopping with us.”

Costco wants you to do your “Christmas” shopping with them, while refusing to recognize that Christmas even exists.

Take Action!

Send your e-mail to Costco. Let Costco know that you will exercise “your privilege” of shopping only at stores that recognize Christmas. Remind Costco that their competitors are vying for your business too, and you will shop accordingly.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 02:15 am
The asshole in charge of this exercise in shoving cheap, tacky Christmas rubbish down the throats of the public is the head of the AFA, one Donald Wildman.

This sanctimonious, pencil-necked, chronic mastubator runs one of the most hilarious websites ever. I can't think of who to send this to, but its a classic....

https://store.afa.net/images/PRODUCT/medium/10000122.gif
Quote:
Residents of the small Arkansas town of Eureka Springs noticed the homosexual community was growing. But they felt no threat. They went about their business as usual. Then, one day, they woke up to discover that their beloved Eureka Springs, a community which was known far and wide as a center for Christian entertainment--had changed. The City Council had been taken over by a small group of homosexual activists.

The Eureka Springs they knew is gone. It is now a national hub for homosexuals. Eureka Springs is becoming the San Francisco of Arkansas.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:09 pm
If you don't want the Christ myth shoved down your throat, I'm all for you.

If you perceive every symbol or trapping of Christmas as shoving the Christ myth down your throat, I have no patience for you.

The Christmas season has all the faults of any other season, but at it's core there is a sense of community and fellowship.

People are nicer to one another on Christmas.

Yes, they should always be so nice to one another, but should we complain when they break the sad mold?

There is nothing particularly cool about bashing Christmas.

If you don't want to celebrate it, don't.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree, dammit, and Jesus forbid you are between me and the last discount x-box...

Shocked Crying or Very sad
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:47 pm
@Rockhead,
And if you or some other sad f*ck tramples a Walmart greeter in a frenzy to get the latest "must have" toy for your kid the fault lies with:

Jesus?
Saint Nick?
Billy Graham?
The Pope?
Toys R Us?
Madison Avenue?
Wal-mart?
Christians?

If you can't live the spirit of the season, don't blame those who try. It's your cynical rot and fever, not anyone elses.

Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
that was satire, and it left you shoeless charlie brown...

I don't do Christmas. and the irony of those that get all stupid in it boggles my little mind.

nite buzzy
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Good night Rockhead.

I'm sure visions of self-congratulatory lib-fairies will dance in your head.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm equally assured you have no clue what dances though my head, but goodnight nonetheless.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Okay
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 04:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If you don't want the Christ myth shoved down your throat, I'm all for you.

If you perceive every symbol or trapping of Christmas as shoving the Christ myth down your throat, I have no patience for you.

The Christmas season has all the faults of any other season, but at it's core there is a sense of community and fellowship.

People are nicer to one another on Christmas.

Yes, they should always be so nice to one another, but should we complain when they break the sad mold?

There is nothing particularly cool about bashing Christmas.

If you don't want to celebrate it, don't.

I think some people that identify with the holiday try to make it a time when they and family are in a Norman Rockwell Christmas themed diorama. Sort of like making summer into a Beach Boy themed diorama at the beach.

It just can become a little too, too. That is not bashing, I believe, just an awareness that some people turn into "Christmas season zealots," as though they will save Christian civilization by making the holiday season a fever pitched time, that culminates on December 26. We do know that the early colonists did not celebrate the holiday; it was considered a "Popish holiday." Possibly, the holiday became standard fare as immigrants came, whose background included the holiday, and the descendants of the early colonists (that owned the factories that the immigrants worked in) wanted to keep the assembly line workers happy?

I believe many holidays are used to inculcate children into the religion's fold, and also help the economy.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 04:39 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
We do know that the early colonists did not celebrate the holiday; it was considered a "Popish holiday." Possibly, the holiday became standard fare as immigrants came, whose background included the holiday, and the descendants of the early colonists (that owned the factories that the immigrants worked in) wanted to keep the assembly line workers happy?

An interesting observation.

I'd known until now that only the Puritans didn't observe Christmas.
While Governor William Bradford forbid any of the Pilgrims to observe the Christmas holiday in 1620, other colonists celebrated Christmas like in Mery Old England or Olde Holland or elsewhere in Europe, as done there by Anglicans, Lutherans, Reformed, Protestants and Catholics.

Similar in James H. Barnett, The American Christmas - A Study in National Culture, Ayer Publishing, 1984