The War on Christmas.

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:04 pm
There's a radio station here that began playing Christmas music a week ago.

That's just wrong.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:16 pm
@chai2,
There is a radio station here that started on Nov 1st. Even more wrong.
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:22 pm
@Bella Dea,
damn skippy that's wrong.

I should go on their website and ask them why the hell they are doing this.

Christmas music is nice....AT CHRISTMAS!!!!!
kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:28 pm
@chai2,
There is nothing I hate more than Christmas music. I don't care what day it is, that **** is totally annoying. I think that stupid Paul McCartney song, "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" is the most insipid crap I've ever heard. Oddly, his former Beatles cohort John Lennon has, "So This Is Christmas," which is actually a good song! That song is the ONLY exception to the rule that Christmas music blows!
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:32 pm
@kickycan,
Just because even that reindeer much less that 72 year old woman playing Mrs. Claus wouldn't let you **** them at the Christmas party is no reason to get nasty about Christmas. Let it go.
jespah

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:33 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
There is a radio station here that started on Nov 1st. Even more wrong.

Two of them here started in October, I kid you not.
chai2

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:36 pm
@jespah,
OMG THIS IS SUCH TOTAL BULLDOOKIE!!!!

WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO ABOUT THIS!!!!???
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:40 pm
@chai2,
I love the word bulldookie - I'm going to start using it a lot.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:48 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Oh come on, you know you hate that McCartney song too!
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:53 pm
@kickycan,
Kicky's a hater. But we knew that.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:54 pm
@kickycan,
Talk about Scrooge...

Why is that such a tiny little twig of mistletoe Kicky?
kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@mismi,
If you think that's tiny, you should see my johnson. Luckily for me, when I have an orgasm, it shoots out streams of garland and tinsel. Merry Christmas indeed!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 04:09 pm
@kickycan,
Garlic and tinsel? Wow.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The holiday itself is ancient, and sacred to many ethnic groups

Are Australians an ethnic group???

The holiday is sacred here. It's our god-given time to bunk off work, go to the beach and eat mangoes - for about 10 days straight. (Oh - and drink a considerable amount of alcohol!)

Pity they have to spoil it with all that inappropriate music! Evil or Very Mad
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:11 pm
@margo,
Right on, Margo! You know how to celebrate the Solstice, all right. But, given the weather conditions in Oz this time of year, doesn't it seem odd to hear songs about Jingle Bells and Frosty the Snowman?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:52 pm
My local Target really celebrated Overkill October this year, with simultaneous displays for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Xmas all up thru the month. T'giving stuff tends toward the orange and brown, so it sorta blended in with H'ween orange and black, but it was (and still is) there. One side of the endcaps was fiber optics haunted houses with little witches on little brooms on little booms sailing overhead, the other side was Xmas villages with little Santas on little sleighs on little booms sailing around overhead. I was entranced. What can I say--I'm a fiber optics junkie.
jespah

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:03 am
@MontereyJack,
Golly.

Bulldookie. I can definitely get behind a word like that.
mismi

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
@jespah,
I like baacaca too. Potty words are infinitely entertaining.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
Is the culture wars just an urban phenomena? It is hard to imagine that in a homogeneous small town, Christmas or Happy Holidays is an issue?

Once one leaves the urban centers, with its greater diversity, I tend to believe that Christmas, for many, is just part of the seasonal holidays, like Halloween, July 4th, etc. No real religious feelings necessarily.

Since the holiday today can make one believe there were sleighs and reindeer in Jerusalem at His birth, should we also be concerned about holiday greetings for a holiday that has changed its image from desert to a northern climate?

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:14 pm
@chai2,
Christmas is a sacred holiday where our Lord first wandered abroad and saw his shadow, thus giving us 12 more weeks of winter.
0 Replies