The War on Christmas.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 11:45 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

As just a side note: Christmas is not biblical so it can't really be a "Christian Holiday." The only day we are told to observe is the first day of the week to "break the bread" and "take of the cup" in memory of Jesus's death (not birth) and that is by example in the NT and was something Jesus himself told his disciples to do. You would think if it was important to celebrate his birth, something would be said or shown in the NT about it. So all those getting all twisted up about people taking Christ out of Christmas are confused because you can't take Jesus Christ out of something He was never into in the first place.

This is an interesting point, but I don't think it really matters though whether or not the Bible calls for the birth of Christ to be celebrated by his followers.

If it did, the folks who wish to take Christ out of Christmas (for lack of a better term) wouldn't defer to Christians and accept public displays that recognize the religious aspect of the holiday.

On the other hand, I don't think Christians need their holy book to tell them they must or should celebrate the birth of their God. If Jesus had prohibited such a celebration, it would be a different story.

Christmas celebrations vary in tradition, even among so-called Christian nations, but we need not think about how the holiday is celebrated outside of our shores. For the most part, any war that is being waged against Christmas, is being fought in America.

Whether it’s a full blown war or a silly skirmish what is at stake is tradition not religion. I don't believe the majority of people who want to keep Christ in Christmas feel this way because doing so assists the evangelical imperative for conversion.

Christmas is a big deal for most Americans, and most Americans are Christians.

Even those who consider Jesus a legendary figure rather than a manifestation of God are comfortable with the Christ story being part of Christmas, and feel that is as integral as Santa Claus to the holiday. I don't believe the first Thanksgiving celebration involved Pilgrims and Indians sharing pork and corn, but I would be irritated if someone insisted on removing that image from the modern version.

I can appreciate that some people feel very strongly about the need to keep church and state separate, and I certainly don't want to see any faith, let alone Christianity, recognized as the official state religion of the US, but a Nativity scene in a town square doesn't recognize or advance a state religion nor does it pose a real threat to the free choice of non-believers.

Most of the battles in this war involve an individual or small group of individuals insisting that a majority alter their traditions. This is never going to sit well with the majority, particularly when they cannot see how the individual is being harmed. More often than not, when I listen to the individual who is protesting Christ in Christmas I hear anger and bitter spite. This may be unfair, but it’s my experience.

And it's not just religious symbols and expressions that are under fire.

Just the other day, a Chase bank in the town in which I live removed a Christmas tree from its lobby because someone complained that it was offensive.

A Christmas tree is offensive?!

On a radio show, the host invited those who felt a Christmas tree was offensive to call in. The first woman who called in was Jewish and moved to the US from Israel. Her problem with Christmas trees had nothing to do with religion. She just though they were garish and distasteful. She recounted that she first entered the country during the Christmas season and she remembers all of the Christmas trees and decorations she found in the airport. She found them excessive and offensive. "If you came to Israel," she told the host, “You would never see such an ostentatious display." She did say, though, that she would not have complained to the bank.

The second caller made a less than memorable argument that a Christmas tree might make someone from a different culture feel uncomfortable, although he would not have complained to the bank.

I don't believe that there is anything like an organized war being waged against Christmas, but there are a lot of petty kooks who are being indulged.
revelette

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
This is an interesting point, but I don't think it really matters though whether or not the Bible calls for the birth of Christ to be celebrated by his followers.

Yes it does. Christianity gets it doctrine from the NT of the Bible. If it is not in the Bible then it is not really a Christian Holiday. The NT does not point blank say don't observe Jesus birthday but neither does it say to. I would think if it was something Jesus wanted, he would have said so.

In my house and family I and those in my family who believe like me (not everyone does) do make a point of saying we think of Christmas as a regular holiday which has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and his birth as it is not in the Bible either by words or example. And yes, if it don't say it, I don't do it or believe it. (concerning Christianity and the Bible) It is exactly like dressing up for Halloween even though I don't believe in all the paganism it originated from.

If people want to put the nativity decorations up, go for it. But if it is a public place like a school, then include all the other celebrations being celebrated at the time of year. We have more than just Christians/Christmas in our country who have holidays at this time of the year who may be originally from places beyond our "shores" or within our "shores."

The only war being waged on Christmas are those among a certain sort; I think of them as political "Christians" getting all out of whack because people want to include all the holidays being celebrated around this time of the year and not just Christmas and/or Christians.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 03:30 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Quote:

Yes it does.

I think millions of Christians would beg to differ.

Christianity gets it doctrine from the NT of the Bible. If it is not in the Bible then it is not really a Christian Holiday. The NT does not point blank say don't observe Jesus birthday but neither does it say to. I would think if it was something Jesus wanted, he would have said so.

In my house and family I and those in my family who believe like me (not everyone does) do make a point of saying we think of Christmas as a regular holiday which has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and his birth as it is not in the Bible either by words or example. And yes, if it don't say it, I don't do it or believe it. (concerning Christianity and the Bible) It is exactly like dressing up for Halloween even though I don't believe in all the paganism it originated from.

If people want to put the nativity decorations up, go for it. But if it is a public place like a school, then include all the other celebrations being celebrated at the time of year. We have more than just Christians/Christmas in our country who have holidays at this time of the year who may be originally from places beyond our "shores" or within our "shores."

The only war being waged on Christmas are those among a certain sort; I think of them as political "Christians" getting all out of whack because people want to include all the holidays being celebrated around this time of the year and not just Christmas and/or Christians.

And you don't think there are "political atheists" who are getting all out of whack and pushing their sensibilites on much larger groups just because they can?

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 03:33 pm
I wonder sometimes if it bother people more if an atheist says "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas?"

On one hand, people get bent out of shape on people saying anything other than "Merry Christmas," but at the same time, there seem to be a largely congruent group that wishes to assert the meaning of the season on others.

Perhaps Christmas means something different to non-Christians and Christians will have to accept that. Having said that, I think many do.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 03:58 pm
@failures art,

It has a lot to do with NOSTALGIA, qua America in the good old days of youth.
Christmas Carols were ubiquitously playing on all the radio stations in December.

Merchants had "MERRY CHRISTMAS" written all over
in their newspaper ads and in their stores, with Christmas Carols always playing there. (good marketing; set the right mood)
We eagerly anticipated Christmas Vacation from school, confident qua forthcoming Christmas Presents
and those presents came forth in greater abundance than we expected.

It was RELIABLE: CHRISTMAS was EVERYWHERE

This was stabbed in the back by liberalism
and an early version of paleo-political correctness.

Santa got mugged by liberalism.

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Sorry I do not see it that way as larger and larger percent of the population is just viewing this holiday period in a non-religion way and that is what driving the changes you do not care for instead of political correctness.

Take note of the numbers of people going to parties and shopping and compare that to those attending any form of church service to confirm that fact.
failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You are a strange one dave.

A
R
T
BillRM

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:16 pm
@failures art,
Quote:

Somehow I do not think that most of the posters on this website are too near to the overall norms of the rest of society.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

A
R
T
So was I informed by my mother,
at an early age (my age, not my mother's).
She used to say something about my being like someone "from another planet."

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:43 pm
@BillRM,

David wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Sorry I do not see it that way as larger and larger percent of the population is just viewing this holiday period in a non-religion way and that is what driving the changes you do not care for instead of political correctness.

Take note of the numbers of people going to parties and shopping and compare that to those attending any form of church service to confirm that fact.
I disagree with your conclusions qua causality.

Note, incidentally,
that I 've not found it necessary to attend a church for many years.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:24 am
I bet this would drive David crazy. Too bad the NYC SantaCon was last week, or we might have been able to persuade them to put his street on their line of march.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:48 pm
I can't be bothered to read this entire goofy thread . . . Is Christmas dead yet? Has it surrendered? Somebody let me know when the damned thing has been disposed of . . .
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:08 pm
@Setanta,
Were doin a flanking move as we speak. We should be taking prisoners today
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Were doin a flanking move as we speak. We should be taking prisoners today
TRUE supporters of CHRISTMAS
will fite to the death.

David
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ive always said that you were one of the biggest supporters on A2K
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:16 pm
@farmerman,
YEAH!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:21 pm
I think farmerman was talking about athletic supporters.
dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:06 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I can't be bothered to read this entire goofy thread . . . Is Christmas dead yet? Has it surrendered? Somebody let me know when the damned thing has been disposed of . . .

Christmas attacked first.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:30 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
I think farmerman was talking about athletic supporters.
I have always OPPOSED athletics.
Thay r too boring and useless.

When rival groups of strangers
choose to run around in circles in the grass,
I have no interest in which group of strangers does it better.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 02:20 am
Congratulations, David. You completely missed the point. Ever wear one?