The War on Christmas.

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:26 am
http://i55.tinypic.com/2m347ec.jpg
Quote:
Monday December 6, 2010
Daily Show: The Gretch Who Saved the War on Christmas
The holiday season wouldn't feel the same without people going out of their way to be offended by nothing.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-december-6-2010/the-gretch-who-saved-the-war-on-christmas?xrs=share_copy
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Its become a lovely tradition to gather with friends on a cold December evening and shout down any "Christmas decorations" that actually have the word "Christmas" in them on any public building or area where the public gathers and is payed for by tax dollars. We all bundle up in fellowship of the season, and, like a bunch of real douche bags, we yell at the mayor or supervisors and force them to change the offensive word "CHristmas" and substitute it with some euphemism that could not in any fashion , be confused with a Christian holiday wish.

We consume lots of hot chocolate laced with brandy and then carefully inspect all buildings lest they carry the phrase which , as we all know, will send shock waves through the wall of separation between church and state.

WE are highly offended each and every year, it brings us all together in the spirit of the season.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:54 am
@farmerman,
You and your band of brothers are ... the freedom fighters or the terrorists in this War on Christmas?
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 06:07 am
@tsarstepan,
naaah, we just like hot chocolate laced with brandy. W have to build up courage to show that we are highly offended and all we want is the separation of church and state and for all a good night.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 07:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

and, like a bunch of real douche bags...

Mission accomplished
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 08:34 am
Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., and Kalamazoo.
Nora's freezing on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower, alleygaroo.
--Pogo
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 09:00 am
Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Double-bubble, toyland trouble! Woof, Woof, Woof!
Tizzy seas on melon collie!
Dibble-dabble, scribble-scrabble! Goof, Goof, Goof!

---Beauregard Bugleboy Ol' Houn' Dog
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:25 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Bella Dea wrote:
There is a radio station here that started on Nov 1st. Even more wrong.

Two of them here started in October, I kid you not.
In my opinion, radio stations shoud start playing Christmas carols on the day after Thanksgiving.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:36 pm
On thge other hand, radio-wise, years ago I worked for a failing radio network--the guy who started it had managed to turn the four stations he started with into two. We turned the Boston one into a raging success, no thanks to him, but his other station in Hartford had no mikes, no turntables, no studio, and no employees. The entire station consisted of a transmitter and two large-capacity reel-to-reel tape recorders in the office of another, unaffiliated radio station. He paid that station's secretary something--probably Ebenezer Scrooge-like pittances--to change the tapes periodically. Often she forgot. When we started, our Boston chief engineer went down in April to check on the Hartford station. They were still playing the Christmas tapes. And no listener had complained. Or even mentioned it to anyone.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm

Those of us who SUPPORT Christmas
owe it to ourselves to COUNTERATTACK the bad guys, as well as possible.

MONEY, and how it is DIRECTED is a good weapon.

OSTRACIZE$$ the bad guys.

Let them see red in their bottom lines.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:41 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
When we started, our Boston chief engineer went down in April to check on the Hartford station.
They were still playing the Christmas tapes. And no listener had complained. Or even mentioned it to anyone.
Christmas carols can be elevating.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:14 pm
A battle in the war on Christmas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337159/Glastonburys-2000-year-old-Holy-Thorn-Tree-hacked-vandals.html

Whatever the motivation of the shits who perpetrated this crime...what a shame!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:56 pm
Finn says:
Quote:

A battle in the war on Christmas.

Or maybe in the war against Ponzi schemes. The tree was owned by another in the multitude of financial scam artists we've seen so many of lately as capitalism winds its merry way toward another year end, and the article says there has been comment that the tree cutting may have been directed against him. The whole thing has gotten a bit sensationalistic--that tree was only sixty years old, not 2000, and there are apparently a bunch of others scattered around Glastonbury similarly grown from cuttings.

Though I agree with Finn, at least if he's condemning wanton tree cutting, particularly of trees you don't own.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:52 pm
I don't mind people saying merry christmas to me so long as they don't mind me saying happy holidays back. I still haven't been into the liquor store where the guy yelled at me about that.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:01 pm
@littlek,
For me it will always be Merry Christmas. If others want to acknowledge with the term of their choice, I don't mind at all and am thankful for the returned wish regardless of how it is expressed.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:09 pm
@littlek,
Maybe some customers like that kind of holiday spirit/customer service. Service with a AUUGH!

He doesn't deserve your business littlek! Damn grinch he is!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:37 pm
Old thread revival!

A
R
T
K
O
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:54 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
For me it will always be Merry Christmas.
If others want to acknowledge with the term of their choice, I don't mind at all
and am thankful for the returned wish regardless of how it is expressed.
Reference to anonymous "holidays" was and is an effort to degrade Christmas, by refusal to recognize it.

The cultural war runs very deep.
littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
David, this is America. It's a great nation because of its diversity, not despite it. Happy Holidays covers all the holidays that cluster around the winter solstice.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't think their intent is to degrade Christmas. Some don't recognize it for what some of us hold dear. That is there perogative and right. There are many other celebrations at this time of year that are celebrated by many.

Those of us who revere Christmas should not dismiss other celebrations nor those who celebrate them.

Merry Christmas, David.