Stocks lower as Paulson unveils change in bailout

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:46 am
NEW YORK (AP) -- An already disheartened Wall Street turned sharply lower Wednesday after Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said the government won't buy banks' soured mortgage assets after all, disappointing investors who hoped to see the bad debt wiped off companies' books. The Dow Jones industrials fell more than 270 points, and all the major indexes dropped more than 3 percent as the market retreated for a third straight session.

ADVERTISEMENT
Paulson said the government's $700 billion financial rescue package won't purchase troubled assets from banks as originally planned. He said that plan would have taken too much time, and that the Treasury instead will rely on buying stakes in banks and encouraging them to resume more normal lending.

While the market had been pleased by the government's decision weeks ago to buy banks' stock, investors still hoped to see the financial industry relieved of the burden of the mortgage assets whose decline in value helped set off the nation's financial crisis.

There is also concern that the bailout funds are being depleted rather quickly, said Jason O'Donnell, senior research analyst at Boenning & Scattergood.

"Investors are generally in favor of the emphasis on the capital purchase provisions," O'Donnell said. But, "we're down quickly to a small portion of total funds remaining for other purposes."

Paulson also announced a new goal for the program to support financial markets which supply consumer credit in such areas as credit card debt, auto loans and student loans. He said, "with a stronger capital base, our banks will be more confident" to support economic activity.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081112/wall_street.html

This is why you can NEVER EVER let Govt get involved in the free and open markets. These nit-wits in Washington may have good intentions, but are not qualified to lead in this arena. Pat Paulson..err Henry Paulson should be fired on the spot. Pat Paulson could do no worse.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,246 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:58 am
@Woiyo9,
bullshit....the DOW was down when Paulson started his speech, remained mostly level for 2 hours and is now going up.
cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:58 am
@Woiyo9,
Gotta love old Pat "Hands Across my Asti" Paulson.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:00 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

I can only assume you can't tell the difference between PAT and Henry.
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:04 pm
@dyslexia,
BRILLIANT OBSERVATION.

I guess the subject matter is a tad over your head?
cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

I can only assume you can't tell the difference between PAT and Henry.

You either didn't read Woiyo's post or you have the reading comprehension of a gnat. I'm leaning toward the latter.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@Woiyo9,
yes, I'm sure it's all over my head, however facts are facts. The DOW opened down and continued falling until Paulson began his press conference and it's been relatively level for the past 3 hours.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
The major indexes had been lower before Paulson's morning announcement on news that retailers Best Buy (BBY) and Macy's (M) continued to show strain from the weak economy, and traders closely watched the fate of U.S. automakers being decided in Washington.

Source: Business Week
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:46 pm
Stocks beaten down by changes in bailout plan, concerns over consumer spending, economy

NEW YORK (AP) -- Wall Street remained weary Wednesday, disheartened by more signs of economic stress -- including dismal reports from major retailers, a bleak outlook for the nation's auto industry and additional job cuts in the already beaten-down financial sector. News that the government won't buy banks' soured mortgage assets as originally planned further discouraged investors. The Dow Jones industrials fell nearly 300 points, and all the major indexes dropped more than 3 percent as the market retreated for a third straight session.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081112/wall_street.html

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:40 pm
@Woiyo9,
woiyo, in your original post we read
Quote:
An already disheartened Wall Street turned sharply lower Wednesday after Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said the government won't buy

now that just wasn't true was it?
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 03:08 pm
@dyslexia,
The actual subject matter is the impact this dunce, Paulson, had on the market by changing the plans for the bailout.

I did not write the article, so maybe you can write the publisher.

Other than that, I can see will can not provide any meaningful insight to this important subject. The market closed down over 400 points.

At the same time Paulson was changing the rules, Barney Frank was giving a press conference about how he will buy up the bad mortgages.

As usual, govt inaction.

"So here I am on Capitol Hill covering a hearing at the House Financial Services Committee (starring Chairman Barney Frank D-MA), entitled Private Sector Cooperation with Mortgage Modifications"Ensuring That Investors, Servicers, and Lenders Provide Real Help for Troubled Homeowners.

I'm thinking that it's just going to be a private-sector bashing by Barney for all that the private sector is not doing to save troubled borrowers. Instead, I hear the Chairman open his remarks with a plea to Treasury to use some of that TARP money to buy troubled loans:

"I believe that we still have a need for that funding to be used to put the federal government in the position of being the owner, so we can do the kind of sensible write-down of mortgage payments to avoid foreclosure that is in the interest of the economy as a whole."

Imagine my surprise when I learn that at the very same time the Chairman is speaking those words, the Treasury Secretary is saying just the opposite, just about a mile down Pennsylvania Avenue:

"Purchasing troubled assets"our initial focus"would take time to implement and would not be sufficient given the severity of the problem."

So no more dreams of TARP money in the mortgage investors' Christmas stockings. This as those very same private sector investors are telling the Chairman of the Financial Services Committee that while they would really like to modify as many loans as possible, they don't always have the legal authority to do that. "
http://www.cnbc.com/id/27680501
0 Replies