Now They Are Jailing Priests!

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 03:05 am
Were you the sole Muslim military chaplain in Bush's sprawling concentration camp known as Quantanimo Bay, where all the hundreds of prisoners are Muslims, would not logic suggest that without detailed records of the names, locations and needs of the individual inmates, your job would be impossible?

Not apparently in the eyes of the Administration or U.S. military. It would seem that if one of their personnel does his job properly and efficiently, he is automatically suspected of espionage and thrown into military prison without charge, but in a blaze of publicity?

Little wonder there are so many 'friendly fire' incidents, if essential qualifications for employment in the armed forces are inefficiency and gross incompetence?
Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 915 • Replies: 19
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
Read your own signature. Your post is nothing but inflamatory rhetoric.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:26 am
On another thread:Chaplain Yee
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:34 am
John Webb
As usual ignorance is bliss. You nor anyone else outside of the service knows any of the particulars of the case. Yet you are ready to defend Yee and condemn the government. I guess that is the automatic response of some people. I would liken it to Pavlov's dog.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:38 am
If Yee were Catholic or Jewish or Protestant would you be so quick to side with the government?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:50 am
Hobibob
To begin with I am not siding with the government or Yee. What I am attempting to convey is we cannot rush to judgment knowing none of the particulars. I further commented that some immediately take the stand that the Government is in the wrong. Don't even need to ring a bell.
And Yes I would have the same reaction whether it was a Christian or Jewish chaplain. And that is to withhold judgment until the facts are made public.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:25 am
I'm betting this has to do with Yee's frequent communications with Amnesty International and with HUman Rights Watch, none of which are actually held in high esteem by the military (I got yelled at when on my CFC form one year, I donated to both organizations). I would no be surprised if he was also trying to get messages from them to their families. I would hope this isn't terrorism, although I wouldn't be surprised if that is the charge.
Many of us who have been in the military tend to immediately side aginst it in any situation such as this, It comes from the contempt bred of familiarity.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:36 am
Hobitbob
Quote:

Many of us who have been in the military tend to immediately side against it in any situation such as this, It comes from the contempt bred of familiarity.

That is an excuse not a reason. I could take the opposite tack. Where do the loyalties of the devout fundamentalist Moslems lie with the state or their religion? Can they compartmentalize and separate the two?
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 11:36 am
I have never known a serviceman who would sell out his country ..... but many politicians that would. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:09 pm
AU wrote:
That is an excuse not a reason. I could take the opposite tack. Where do the loyalties of the devout fundamentalist Moslems lie with the state or their religion? Can they compartmentalize and separate the two?

Who said anything about fundys? If you are implying CPT Yee is a Fundy, I would be curious how you came about that info.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
Hobitbob
Have no idea whether Yee is a fundy or not.

Suppose I change fundy to devout.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:25 pm
Can devout Catholics, Lutherans, Jews, Bhuddists ,etc.. seperate duty to God from duty to the state? You are asking a silly question.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:31 pm
Hobitbob
Yes, Catholics,Lutherans and Jews can live in a secular state and obey it's laws.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:35 pm
And so can Muslims. They have been doing so for about 1400 years. The Christians seem to have a harder time of it.
Now that we have had our little spat, shall we return to the topic?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:41 pm
Hobitbob
Yes, Just wanted to ruffle your feathers. Things have been too quiet today.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 02:48 pm
Quiet is a good thing after the rants on Saturday.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Yee is caught in the middle of what may be planning for a terrorist action thanks to his efforts at being a good chaplain. Even if it is not the case,and he is simply in trouble for the info he has pased on to AI and HRW, he is still in violation of UCMJ. Sad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 03:44 pm
MSNBC AND NBC NEWS

WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 — An Air Force airman has been arrested and charged with espionage at the U.S. prison for suspected terrorists in Cuba, the Defense Department said Tuesday, part of what Pentagon officials told NBC News was an investigation of as many as five people.

THE INVESTIGATION came to light Tuesday after Pentagon officials said the man, later identified as Senior Airman Ahmad al-Halabi, was being held for investigation of possible misuse of classified information.
       After an NBC News report revealed the larger investigation, the Pentagon named al-Halabi, saying he had been formally charged on 32 counts some time after he was arrested in July.
       In addition to al-Halabi, military officials told NBC News that other potential suspects included a member of the Army, a member of the Navy and a Marine Corps contractor. The service affiliation of a fifth possible suspect could not immediately be determined. Intelligence officials said all five were Muslims.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/969495.asp?0cv=NB10
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:47 pm
It sounds like one of two things:
Either they are all involved in a plot (I hope not), or they are all being zapped for being Mulim (I hope Not-er!). Sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:25 am
Curioser and curioser. It looks like either guilt by association, or the Army is upset at his work with human rights groups.
Yee
Quote:

Nice to see the military is still showing compassion for its members and their families:
Quote:
Imam Joban said Captain Yee's wife called him a few days ago and was "extremely worried," having waited for him for hours at the Seattle-Tacoma airport, and not learning until a few days later from a lawyer that he had been arrested. She has still not spoken to him, Imam Joban said.

And its disheartening to see that good red blooded patriotic Americans still think Islam is evil. Sad
Quote:
Rick Iacono, Captain Yee's wrestling coach, said he had recruited Captain Yee, who weighed only 100 pounds in high school, and that he had quickly made an impression as someone who could deeply focus on what he was doing. Captain Yee kept in close touch with Mr. Iacono and would return sometimes to the high school, Jonathan Dayton High School, to speak to students about wrestling.

Mr. Iacono said he would receive e-mail messages from Captain Yee after Sept. 11, asking those on his long group e-mail list not to judge all Muslims by the terrorist attacks.

"He was really into that, which I'm not comfortable with," Mr. Iacono said.

"I have to believe in my kids," he said.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:06 am
There is a news article posted in yahoo at this moment, which I'm not going to drag in, on the topic. What struck me more than anything is the reference to terrorist suspects. Suspects? After this length of time, they are suspected of something?
0 Replies