Is suicide morally permissable?

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:52 am
@Thomas,
I live in New Mexico, I abhor nature.
husker

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
@dyslexia,
everyday we die a little we're just not happy about the speed of the seasons sometimes
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
@dyslexia,
You have to when living in NM.

Suicide is at times morally permissible - who would object after the fact, resp. the person committing suicide couldn't care less.

It is however a cowardly move to escape one's problems and I am
not sure, I could forgive such an act if it happened as a way out of a difficult
situation. Like the guy who jumped off the Coronado bridge recently because
he piled up a horrendous debt to support his gambling habit, including
embezzling money from his employer. He left a wife and two children to deal
with the mess. Was his suicide morally permissible? Not in my book - it was
an easy way out for him to escape his problems, that's all!
Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
Calamity Jane wrote:
Like the guy who jumped off the Coronado bridge recently because
he piled up a horrendous debt to support his gambling habit, including
embezzling money from his employer. He left a wife and two children to deal
with the mess. Was his suicide morally permissible? Not in my book - it was
an easy way out for him to escape his problems, that's all!

But in this case, the morally impermissible act was to make a mess and let his wife and children clean it up. How did the man increase the immorality of his failure by taking his life?
JPB

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:37 pm
@Thomas,
To be brutally honest, I think the man did his wife and child a favor by jumping off a bridge as opposed to blowing himself all over his garage.

Was taking his life a cowardly act? Possibly. It was certainly selfish in that he increased the emotional burden to his wife and children at a time when they were already handling a heavy emotional load (assuming they knew about his/their financial situation), but I don't see it as immoral.
0 Replies

SanFranciscan

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:22 pm
@rockpie,
Rockpie,
I disagree with suicide when it is commited to escape difficulties in life. But then again, a lot of times suicides are commited by people who are suffering one or multiple forms of mental health issues. Person might be simply bipolar, manic-depressed. Suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. So I don't judge those who commit sucide in any form. We humans grow up thinking that our lives will turn out like in pink, butterfly books. But from my own experience I know that life has often some pretty unpredictable, strange surprises for us. Some of us have enough stamina to cope with pain, some of us have good family support system. Some of us don't have any of this to rely on.
I might sound pretty harsh but I think that Davrin was somewhat right when he talked about evolution. Strong one survive. Weak ones or those who cannot keep on fighting unfortunately end. In this case, weaker ones commit suicide.
But this should not make us stop ourselves from helping those who are at the very edge. We as humans are very complex and should be helping those who are weaker and ask for help when we feel desperate for help. ThanksGod I never had to use the suicide lines in my life. But never say never.
Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 09:30 pm
@SanFranciscan,
SanFransciscan wrote:
I disagree with suicide when it is commited to escape difficulties in life.

Why are you disagreeing? And why should a person considering suicide care if you disagree?
SanFranciscan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:02 am
@Thomas,
They don't have to agree. I am just sharing my opinion about the subject discussed in the thread.
Plus, I was trying to point out that if there are reasons which are driving another person to even consider taking their own lives that can be resolved by people around them-there should be a helping hand. Especially when it comes to mentally unstable, depressed people. Am I making myself clear here, Thomas?
Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:16 am
@SanFranciscan,
SanFranciscan wrote:
Am I making myself clear here, Thomas?

Only in part. I still don't understand why you're disagreeing. If people take their own lives, why do you think they're doing something morally wrong?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:32 am
@rockpie,
The USA just voted to kill itself.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:08 pm
No, you idiots did that in 2004. The rest of us just voted to start CPR.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:29 pm
@Thomas,
what greater right does man have than to his own life?
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:30 pm
@OGIONIK,
your born, life sucks, and then you die.

i think its very brave to face death on your own terms.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:53 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

No, you idiots did that in 2004. The rest of us just voted to start CPR.

You should've hired an EMT then, not a junior dogcatcher from Chicago.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
@rockpie,
As an animal lover I been down the road of ending a beloved pet life more then once and in one case if there had been a way to make a deal with the devil or god to trade some of my life span and gift it to my beloved dog I would had taken the deal.

The ending of life be that life a human or an animal companion is hard but I see little point in allowing yourself to suffer for a few more weeks or months in pain and I will not allow that to happen to myself anymore then I had allow it to had occur for my pets.

It does seem very strange that as a culture we see it as a duty to not strand around and watch a pet die crying in pain yet some of us think it is also a moral/religious duty to force other humans to end their life in this manner.
0 Replies