Congratulations to the ladies of A2K.

roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
Butrflynet, Soz, Diane, and I'll bet our Swimpy and any number of others were out there making phone calls, knocking on doors, and whatever else goes into a winning campaign. I hope Mr. Obama appreciates that the money he raised was only the start of winning. Money doesn't vote; it takes troops on the ground.

(Not that you convinced me of a darn thing)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
@roger,
You bet right, rog. I knocked on doors and made phone calls. I wasn't going down without a fight this time. I really believe this guy is a grown-up. How refreshing!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:15 pm
We women had our own night of victory and history making too. It will be interesting to watch what results from it.

http://www.nowhampshire.com/content/nh-makes-history-first-state-senate-female-majority

Quote:
NH Makes History With First State Senate With Female Majority
By Ethan Kendrick
Thu, 11/06/2008 - 12:13pm
Posted to: State House

New Hampshire’s State Senate is now unlike any in the country and unlike any before it. After Tuesday’s election, women now make up the majority of the New Hampshire State Senate. In an election year that saw Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Nancy Pelosi grab headlines and airtime across the country, New Hampshire didn’t just vote blue, it voted for women.

In addition to voting in a new state senate with a female majority, New Hampshire voted for the only female candidate in the primary, Hillary Clinton, and voted for the first New Hampshire woman, Jeanne Shaheen, to go to the US Senate.

Previously ten women held senate seats out of twenty-four in Concord, but now they hold thirteen. New Hampshire also made news in Washington where there are now seventeen women for the first time in the United States Senate because of Jeanne Shaheen’s win. To show the contrast, both United States Senate and House of Representatives are 17% female.

It looks like those millions of cracks in the glass ceiling are spreading.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:17 pm
@roger,
There is no need for campaigning in California - we're Democrats all the way!
NickFun

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree Jane! We must get together for a cocktail!
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:21 pm
@NickFun,
Yeah, the next time I'm up in Santa Barbara, we'll have a (few) margaritas, Nick.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
Californian still, I agree with you cjane. I've never been very big on things like glossy mailers, though I've mailed letters for one campaign - and phone calls are invasive to me, why would I do that to others. Yet I hear that it can be useful for some, so I'm not wholly against it.

I have helped drive un-able folks to the polls in the past. I haven't but I can see helping on occasions when a candidate is in town to speak and they need volunteers to help organize. I've given money when a friend (that I agree with entirely) was running for office (she won).

In my long time neighborhood of yore, we were pretty well known as a couple involved in neighborhood/citizen participation groups and thus fairly well known re our sympathies. But I've never been all that keen on pushing my views on others... just like to explain them when and if it comes up.

Huh, I react in various negative ways to a lot of heavy promotion, though, whether it is about politics or grocery products. I get that promotion is valuable in a campaign for national office -- am just picky about what interests me, and what I'd be willing to do.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Picturing Jane and Nick meeting in Santa Barbara for cocktails on a balmy day near the glistening sea.. (excuse me, I miss California - but then I'd miss it here too. Sentimental person..)
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
One you leave California, you'll always miss it!

osso, I have talked to people, mostly friends who were undecided and I remember some heated discussion we had regarding Obama vs. McCain and in the end, they all voted for Obama, but mostly because McCain chose Palin as
running mate.
roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
Palin was not a plus, but I went for McCain anyway. I would have abstained, but for the likelyhood of Congress and the presidency being all of one party. Certainly, she cost a lot of votes amongst the moderates, and that was just her political side.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 11:16 am
@roger,
Thank you, Roger.

I think everyone here realizes that this thread is pure Roger, a gentleman and friend, regardless of the situation. Thank heaven there are a few voices of reason on a2k.

Roger is a breath of fresh air (with a little apple pie breath thrown in).
0 Replies