Rahm Emanuel Is Not Partisan Enough?

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:54 am
Quote:
Obama's Disappointing First Choice
posted by John Nichols on 11/06/2008 @ 8:05pm

House Minority Leader John Boehner and other Republican insiders in Washington are griping about President-elect Barack Obama's selection of Illinois Congressman Rahm Emanuel to serve as White House chief of staff. Emanuel, they complain, is too partisan.

If only that were the case.

Partisan true believers stand strong for the ideals and principles of a party, they want to follow the dictates of the platform and stay in tune with grassroots activists.

That's not a description of Rahm Emanuel.

In fact, Emanuel is the opposite of a partisan. He is someone who has worked very hard for a very long time " first in the Clinton administration and then in Congress -- to change the Democratic party into a more cautious, centrist and compromised institution. As head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in 2006, he actually undercut efforts by progressive candidates who had a chance to win in order to advance the candidacies of more conservative candidates who lost.

Why? Because on the most vital issues--economic and trade policy, war and peace, civil liberties--this true believer in the worst compromises of the Clinton era has frequently been at odds with labor and progressive forces within the party.

So how worried should Democrats who want change they can believe in be about Obama's decision to make Emanuel the face of the transition process?

Emanuel is best understood as a disappointing choice rather than a definitional selection.

If Emanuel was in line for a key Cabinet position (Treasury, Commerce, Labor or Agriculture), or for the job of US Trade Representative, there would be every reason to fret. In fact, it might well be appropriate to openly and aggressively challenge the appointment of someone so at odds with Democratic values and policy goals to any of those posts.

But a White House chief of staff is not, traditionally, a policy maker or implementer. Rather, the chief of staff is the member of the president's inner circle who gets things done. A chief of staff who goes against the president's instincts or goals, or who cannot work with people who hold views different from his own, does not last long.

Rahm Emanuel " whose selection owes more to shared Chicago connections than to shared ideology -- is not being brought on to define the Obama administration.

It is Barack Obama's job to do that. Emanuel's job is to make sure that what the president wants done actually gets done. He's good at that, and that is why the new president picked the congressman from his hometown.

Obama wanted someone he knew well, someone he had worked with in the past and someone who he was sure could get the job done to serve as his chief of staff.

He gets all that with Rahm Emanuel as his chief of staff. But Emanuel is not going to be the president, Obama is. And if this administration adopts Emanuel's compromised positions, it will not be the fault of the chief of staff. It will be the fault of the president.

Source: http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/381333/obama_s_disappointing_first_choice?rel=hpbox

It didn't take long for the Left to get pissy with PE Obama.

Sounds like Mr. Nichols is not all that keen about Obama's promise of reduced partisan politics.

How about the rest of you residing on the Left?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,920 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:59 am
More in a similar vein

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/dreyfuss/380654/stop_gates
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 12:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've not ever expected an Obama administration to be filled primarily with the more left of the Democrats, much less the white house staff position in particular.
Miller

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 12:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Emanuel grew up in the ritzy Chicago suburb of Wilmette, the son of an Israeli doctor.

That should make many a poor, slaving SOUTHSIDER real happy.

Hey Obama---what's with the White Sox cap? Don't tell me the PURPLE PEOPLE on the MIDWAY wear SOX baseball caps...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 12:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
How about the rest of you residing on the Left?

I'm more of a moderate, but this is exactly what I expected Obama to do, and what he should do. Rahm seems like a good Iron Fist for the Velvet Glove.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 01:00 pm
@ossobuco,
It occurs to me that Moderates may be the ones to really get the change they want out of this, because I don't believe Obama is the liberal everyone seems to think he is.

I think Obama is going to bring change, but I don't think it's the type of change many liberals are expecting (or possibly hoped for).
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 01:36 pm
@rosborne979,
That's the way I see it too.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 02:43 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

That's the way I see it too.

and the way that i hope for. the country needs a reality check.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Seems as good of choice as any. Seems to me; he chose someone who can get the job done. What do you think, Finn?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:50 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I think it was a good choice.

it's possible that congressional Democrats may come to regret that Emmanuel is getting things done for The President rather than The Party. (At least I hope so since that will be evidence of a more moderate Obama than I expect).
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I think it was a good choice.

it's possible that congressional Democrats may come to regret that Emmanuel is getting things done for The President rather than The Party. (At least I hope so since that will be evidence of a more moderate Obama than I expect).
Precisely what I like about it myself. As you know; I want the Democrats to follow Obama's lead; not the other way around. My vote shouldn’t be considered an endorsement of the Democratic Party… and I’m hoping my new President recognizes that too. They didn’t make him President. He did that for himself… largely against their initial will.

IMO, Congressman spend many times too much more to get their jobs than they get paid for having them; so I mostly consider them the crookedest branch of government. Senators have a decent shot at being reasonably honest politicians, but in absence of genuine leadership; they too will take the path of least resistance. The Executive, on the other hand, has the potential to lead in an honest fashion, and compel the houses to accompany him if his message is popular enough with the people who keep them in power.

I would probably not have voted for the man if I thought he were there to do the Old Guard Left's bidding. I know you question my reliance on instinct to make such a call; but we shall soon see. It is too early to tell, but I find your hope encouraging.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:36 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Finn wrote;
Quote:
I hope so since that will be evidence of a more moderate Obama than I expect.
This is exactly what I fear, a more moderate Obama would be another Clinton when this nation needs far more reaching meassures to get us out of the hole Bush has dug us into. I like Emanuel.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I still don't trust him, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he starts actually doing something.

If he does something which I think is good for the country, I'll give him credit.

What I really hope is that he is willing to consider all possible answers to any difficult question.

I'm sure there will be plenty of times that I disagree with the answer he chooses, but if I'm convinced that he's making decisions based on what's best for the country, and not his personal ambitions, ideology or Party, I'll respect him.

I know Bush-Haters will react wildly to this but I think that, more often than not, this is the way Bush made decisions.

Of course, good intentions don't necessarily trump incompetence (see Jimmy Carter), and Obama has to demonstrate competence as well.

Trouble is, Democrats now rule DC. That sort of power corrupted the Republicans. The Democrats are already corrupt, so where will the power lead them?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:44 pm
On the other hand, arch conservative Lindsay Graham a Republican Senator from the deep red state of South Carolina released the following on Emanuel's selection to chief of staff for President-elect Barack Obama

Quote:
"This is a wise choice by President-elect Obama.

"Rahm knows Capitol Hill and has great political skills. He can be a tough partisan but also understands the need to work together. He is well-suited for the position of White House Chief of Staff.

"I worked closely with him during the presidential debate negotiations which were completed in record time. When we hit a rough spot, he always looked for a path forward. I consider Rahm to be a friend and colleague. He's tough but fair. Honest, direct, and candid. These qualities will serve President-elect Obama well.

"Rahm understands the challenges facing our nation and will, consistent with the agenda set by President-elect Obama, work to find common ground where it exists. I look forward to working with him in his new position and will continue to do everything I can to help find a pathway forward on the difficult problems facing our nation."

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/11/lindsey_graham_praises_emanuel.php

So I assume from Mr Boner's remarks he thinks that being a person who "understands the need to work together.......is fair......Honest, direct, and candid" are unsuitable traits for politicians to have, but then again Mr Boner is a Republican
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:53 pm
@kuvasz,
Who the fu!k is "Mr Boner?"

The lead article on this thread was written by a leftist.
kuvasz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
House Minority Leader John "Boehner" (who btw was mentioned in the first line of the article you quoted released the following)

Quote:
This is an ironic choice for a president-elect who has promised to change Washington, make politics more civil and govern from the center.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5isOFwdbq0tsqatW6vJpkDRTI1gMgD949JP402

Okay, back to Mr. Boner; his comments were pure political and exactly why he is the MINORITY leader.

The problem Mr. Boner has with Emanuel is that he has sharp elbows and know how to get things done.

Hopeful President-elect Obama is not going to let the Republicans play any Jedi mind tricks regarding this "be nice to us" garbage. Really, they are begging to not be bitchslapped the way they did the Democrats.

I'm not for the Democrats playing revenge politics on the Republicans; it distracts from the reason the American people sent them to Washington. The best revenge, if you will, is success. Just go in there and make the decisions that need to be made in order to help this country.

Listen GOP, the Democrats don't have to be asses like the Republicans were but lets get something straight: You are not in charge, no one trusts you, so stop your backseat driving.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:48 pm
@kuvasz,
Oh come on!

What do you expect the Minority Leader to say?

The most partisan positions in America are those of the House and Senate Leadership.

It is far more telling that leftists are critical of the pick.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
FWIW, I think it is a very common sense "balancing" pick.

Everyone sees him as soft and inexperienced.

As long as he truly maintains leadership and control, this has promise...

(I am not a flippin' democrat, just a middle american from way back.)

goes back to choosing Biden, but then I know that won't sit well with you...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead, I've seen enough of your posts to question your middle-of-the-road bonafides.

In any case, if you've read the thread you'll see that I agree that it's a good pick.

Biden is hardly a middle-of-the-roader, and a self-absorbed human grenade to boot.

Personally I like the guy but he will, truly, be a disaster as president.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 10:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
quite possibly.

I like him as the lesser of two evils.

Middle or edge, I am neither Dem nor Repub...
0 Replies