• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,871 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
@cjhsa,
Funny you should mention guns. In my local paper, the Tampa Tribune, for the first time in my memory, there was a half page ad for guns.

I have no problem with that. The Constitution allows citizens to have guns, and stores that think they can do business by taking out ads is ok with me.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:08 am
sort of like how people were building fallout shelters in the 50's never used for any practical purpose... but made the paranoid idiots who bought them feel better and generated some revenue for the people who understand PT Barnum....
parados

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:08 am
@cjhsa,
And you thought electing Obama would ruin the economy.

It's already taking off just by electing him.
Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:22 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

sort of like how people were building fallout shelters in the 50's never used for any practical purpose... but made the paranoid idiots who bought them feel better and generated some revenue for the people who understand PT Barnum....

An attack against one's person is much more likely than a nuclear war. Violent attacks on individuals happen every day all over the country. Obtaining the ability to defend one's person is a very reasonable precaution.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:26 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
An attack against one's person is much more likely than a nuclear war. Violent attacks on individuals happen every day all over the country. Obtaining the ability to defend one's person is a very reasonable precaution.

I agree. In fact, for some time now, I had been considering buying a gun. I am getting older, and would have a problem if an intruder came into my home. I would feel more secure if I had a gun in my home. I certainly would not walk around with it in the streets.

(I want a Glock, just like they use on "Law & Order"!)
Laughing
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:30 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:

I agree. In fact, for some time now, I had been considering buying a gun. I am getting older, and would have a problem if an intruder came into my home. I would feel more secure if I had a gun in my home. I certainly would not walk around with it in the streets.

(I want a Glock, just like they use on "Law & Order"!)
Laughing

The question isn't really whether defense of one's person is occasionally necessary - it is. The question is whether beings possess the right of self-defense, or must always rely on the state for it.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:38 am
@Brandon9000,
agreed. Running out and stocking up because you feel your life is in danger from your fellow citizens because of who was elected president is the height of paranoid idiocy however. Hilarious though and particularly hilarious coming from some KY cowboy who doesn't understand you can only pull one trigger at a time and who, I would bet MY life, wouldn't have the balls to go into battle.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:39 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
The question isn't really whether defense of one's person is occasionally necessary - it is. The question is whether beings possess the right of self-defense, or must always rely on the state for it.

Exactly- If a burglar came into my home, I don't think that calling 911 would be terribly efficient. Sometimes the difference between life and death can be a matter of seconds.

The Constitution, in its wisdom, has allowed for an armed citizenry.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:42 am
@Phoenix32890,
It also must be noted that Obama has called for reductions in miltary funding so that a civilian force can be fully implemented. Can you say KGB?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

agreed. Running out and stocking up because you feel your life is in danger from your fellow citizens because of who was elected president is the height of paranoid idiocy however. Hilarious though and particularly hilarious coming from some KY cowboy who doesn't understand you can only pull one trigger at a time and who, I would bet MY life, wouldn't have the balls to go into battle.

Yes, the main danger is from ordinary burglars and muggers.
maporsche

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:57 am
@Brandon9000,
I will be buying myself another assault rifle before 1/20/09 however, not because I fear Obama, but because I think he'll ban those types of guns soon in his first term. And if history holds true, weapons that were purchased before the ban are grandfathered over.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:25 am
@maporsche,
Please don't use that term. Just say AR-15.... pick a caliber
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:26 am
@cjhsa,
Oregon just declared another Dem senator....better go buy another gun......
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:29 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I will be buying myself another assault rifle before 1/20/09 however, not because I fear Obama, but because I think he'll ban those types of guns soon in his first term. And if history holds true, weapons that were purchased before the ban are grandfathered over.

That may happen. I'm not sure what the grounds for a ban on assault weapons only would be. Most likely, they'd try to make out that the permission given in the Constitution to own guns was only intended to apply to sports or some such nonsense, when, in fact, the other writings of the Founders suggest that armed rebellion against a tryanical government was probably one of the motivations for the 2nd Amendment.
engineer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:40 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

That may happen. I'm not sure what the grounds for a ban on assault weapons only would be. Most likely, they'd try to make out that the permission given in the Constitution to own guns was only intended to apply to sports or some such nonsense, when, in fact, the other writings of the Founders suggest that armed rebellion against a tryanical government was probably one of the motivations for the 2nd Amendment.

My guess is that Obama will choose his battles carefully and this is one that's not on his list until the economy is fixed, the wars are resolved, etc. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:10 am
@engineer,
One of the reasons Obama was elected is that MOST people are more concerned with economy, infrastructure, healthcare etc etc rather than overturning rvw, whose dick is stuck where and whether they can own a million automatic weapons. MOST people that is.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:13 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
WTNL
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:14 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

My guess is that Obama will choose his battles carefully and this is one that's not on his list until the economy is fixed, the wars are resolved, etc. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I hope and suspect that you're correct. Just for the record, I don't personally own a gun. I just value the freedom that makes it an option.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@Brandon9000,
I don't own a gun either.

I own a ******* arsenal.
0 Replies