Stevens wins in AL, What next?

parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:50 am
Sen Ted Stevens looks to have been reelected in Alaska. What does this ultimately mean?

Stevens was found guilty but has yet to be sentenced. If sentenced to jail will he resign?

Will the Senate let a convicted felon be seated or will they vote to expel him?
Will they wait until all his appeals are exhausted before acting? Can he refuse to resign if expelled? Or will he automatically be replaced after being expelled?

If Stevens does relinquish his Senate seat, who will Palin nominate to replace him? Will she put herself in the Senate?

A lot of these questions will be answered, but what predictions do you have? What answers are possible based on Alaskan law?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:57 am
@parados,
interesting question, but you had me confused with the title referencing Alabama.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:13 am
@Rockhead,
perhaps alaska will secede
ebrown p

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:28 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
It seems to me that failure is more likely.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:31 am
@parados,
Hopefully he will not be allowed to be seated. I am guessing he may well resign before it gets to that and Palin will appoint a replacement. If that is Alaskan law. It may be that they will have to schedule a special election next year or some such thing. Guess I'll go look that up and see if I can find out what the law in in Alaska.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:49 am
@parados,
Not quite yet - there are over 60k absentee ballots to be counted, and Stevens currently leads by 3500.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:12 pm
@parados,
Quote:
What does this ultimately mean?

Harry Reid has to find yet another moderate Republican senator to break a filibuster.
eoe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I keep thinking Marion Berry...
I know one has absolutely nothing to do with the other but both instances fall into the "will wonders never cease?" place in my head. It's just mindboggling.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@eoe,
I think there are similarities

Both won thanks to a sense among their constituents of :

"He may be a crook, but he's our crook!"

And from a desire to poke a stick in someone's eye with a vote.

Palin is a very popular governor. I doubt many Alaskans appreciated how she was treated when she had the temerity to venture down into the Lower 48.

How did Murtha get re-elected after calling his constituents racists and rednecks? That surprised me as well.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:41 pm
A quick look indicates there would have to be a special election if Stevens conviction is not overturned on appeal.

I suppose it is possible that Sarah could enter the special election and put herself forth as a senatorial candidate.... But, now that she has argued against providing all that pork, much of which Alaskans enjoyed for many years, could she win?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 03:27 pm
On one of the many talk shows I listened to while trying to calm myself down enough to finally get some sleep, I heard talk of Sarah Palin appointing herself as his replacement. Seems it would be the next step in her education process in preparation for her run in 2012.
0 Replies