Snood... Get ready to be a happy man! Congratulations!

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:11 pm
I don't know how to search this new A2K to locate that heart moving post you wrote so many months ago, describing what an Obama Presidency would mean to you... but I wanted to let you know I remember it and I'm thinking about you. Congratulations man. It is a very proud day to be an American.

(Would be awesome if someone who knows how to find that post could quote it here.)

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:20 pm
I remember it too. I too think its gonna be a new day, and hopefully a better one . Im hoping that the team hits the ground running. Obama seems like a man of high energy . Time to look forward

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:32 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I, on the other hand, am pretty tired of those who won't search nor tag.

Finding a post involves learning how to tag. Sorry, O'bill, but it isn't that hard.
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
It does tend to be harder for stuff that was posted before the changeover. Plus I think snood's post (I remember it too) was within a larger thread -- but who knows which one? Searching for "Obama" isn't that helpful in this case. And if it's on "Obama '08," who knows which page? (I've run into this problem because I've wanted to find back various predictions of mine... daunting.)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Excuse you? I do try to search, and I do tag what I find. I'm talking about a single post, buried probably hundreds of pages deep, maybe in the Obama 08 thread. Why don't you go ahead and search/tag that for us if you think it's so easy. Confused
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@sozobe,
Me too. I distinctly recall writing Obama was the Democrats very best shot some time after the 04 DNC, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Oh great! As if Snood doesn't start and turn enough threads towards race and racism, now we have his hacks doing it for him!

How do you equate this with racism?
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:56 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid, you haven't considered why everyone under my initial posting has been running for towels. Like rain off a roof in a prairie thunderstorm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:12 pm
In fact, the first several posts after JTT's initial post concerned tagging and searching for posts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:16 pm
thinking of snood when I read this today from Eugene Robinson;

Quote:
In my gut, I know there’s a chance that the first African American to make a serious run for the presidency will lose. But that is precisely what’s new and, in a sense, unsettling: I’m talking about possibility, not inevitability.

For African Americans, at least those of us old enough to have lived through the civil rights movement, this is nothing short of mind-blowing. It’s disorienting, and it makes me see this nation in a different light.

You see, I remember a time of separate and unequal schools, restrooms and water fountains " a time when black people were officially second-class citizens. I remember moments when African Americans were hopeful and excited about the political process, and I remember other moments when most of us were depressed and disillusioned. But I can’t think of a single moment, before this year, when I thought it was within the realm of remote possibility that a black man could be nominated for president by one of the major parties " let alone that he would go into Election Day with a better-than-even chance of winning.

Let me clarify: It’s not that I would have calculated the odds of an African American being elected president and concluded that this was unlikely; it’s that I wouldn’t even have thought about such a thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:40 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I do, I do - look at Tags list on my profile..

I admit to being abrupt re finding snood's post under consideration - since I haven't gotten going on the politics threads yet, give me a break and a while. I'm just all nastybody about people who snort at tagging.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:58 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I've been trying to find that post. Trying to remember some key words, but the custom search here is not my friend.

Tagging threads is one thing, but tracking down individual posts is more difficult now.

Oh well.

Snood'll know, I hope, that his post struck a chord and is being thought of tonight.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:40 pm
Heartfelt - really, heartfelt thanks to all who thought of me this wondrous night. Here is that post:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to say something personal about Obama, and him being president.

If Obama were actually elected president of this country, it would deeply and permanently validate me in a way that would be hard to describe.

It would decisively and authoritatively cash that "check" that MLK referred to, when he talked about the promise of this country, always coming back marked "insufficient funds".

It would settle in my mind and heart, once and for all, one question that has been buried in the psyche of persons of color for ages. The question is "Are we truly equal?"

Race is an elusive and treacherous issue. I see polls today that reflect a deep ambivalence and widespread dissonance. People, black and white, believe race to be still a telling factor in daily life in America - but - people all believe the problem to be coming from someone else. It is never they themselves who are harboring the destructive attitudes, it is always their neighbor, or some other people, elsewhere.

If Obama were elected president, I would finally know that all the talk I hear about progress and colorblindness and the land of opportunity, etc, etc, etc, had real substance.

If Obama were elected president, I could go to my grave with an age old anxiety stilled.
I would actually be able to say to a little black boy "If you study and work hard and play by the rules, there is no limit to what you can accomplish in America." People of color still say that to their children, but if Obama were elected president, I could by God actually mean it without the lingering doubts. We see Morgan Freeman (in Deep Impact) or Dennis Haysbert (on '24') play the role, but I submit that that is something we cannot really say with conviction until we've seen it happen.

Now, I know this is a terribly narrow and self-centered way of looking at something with a myriad of other issues involved. I know I'm talking about the office of the most powerful man on this planet as if it were some kind of popularity contest at the local Kiwanis, or something.

But I just wanted to say, on this thread here about the possibility of electing that man - that black man - as President of the United States of America, that dammit, it would mean so very much...

...to me.

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:44 pm
@snood,
Wonderful... the original post, and re-posting it, and everything!

Hugs, snood...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:45 pm
@sozobe,
Wonderful, snood. And, congratulations.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:45 am
@snood,
Thanks for reposting that, Snood. I can't tell you how happy I am for you and everyone who looks like you... but even more so for the tens of millions of children who just got a new lease on life. I think it's absolutely wonderful!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:00 am
@snood,
So congratulations on a terrific election result. Enjoy, snood, enjoy!

(That was a wonderful post you re-sent.)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:14 am
@snood,
snood, may I have your permission to broadcast that to the public (here in Aus) ?
You and A2K would just be an anonymous internet source
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:58 am
@snood,
{{{{{ Snood }}}}} You wrote a thoughtful and heartfelt post about the possibility of Obama winning the presidency. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you.

Please know that there are a lot of people in my generation that have been waiting for this day, to help remove the sick feeling of our loved ones saying the most disgusting things about people we only saw as friends.

I am only grateful that this happened in my lifetime and I am honored to share it with you.
0 Replies