sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:38 pm
@DrewDad,
Cool!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:40 pm
Quote:
if the incredible comes true and obama is elected i wonder how americans will feel having a president who can speak in paragraphs again…..or would that mark obama as an elitist……?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:45 pm
@sozobe,
So....how much longer until the fat lady sings?
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:52 pm
@dlowan,
Unclear.

By some measures, might be as early as 7:00 PM EST (2 hours 9 minutes from now):

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/what-will-we-know-by-7-pm.html

There may well be some calling by TV networks based on exit interviews and such relatively early in the game, which is the fat lady doing some vocal exercises but isn't properly singing.

Might be a while (midnightish?) before the singing begins.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
My aunt also 'fessed up to voting Democrat for the first time in her life. She said McCain's VP choice just couldn't be countenanced.

I heard the same thing from someone. I was very surprised since this person is a strong Christian conservative.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:14 pm
ElStud and I arrived at the elementary school where we vote just after 10:00 a.m., roughly three hours after the polls opened. We expected something of a wait but there was absolutely nobody ahead of us. We signed our name in the book--noted that most on the page had requested absentee ballots--were handed our ballot, voted, scanned it into the reader and left. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes. Nobody was coming in as we left. The two other precincts that vote in that building also had no line waiting to vote.

We were asked for ID when we voted in the primary but not this time. When I asked why, we were advised that they were instructed not to ask or look at IDs. The rationale is that people are disenfranchised if they are required to identify themselves in order to vote. (Yes the Democrats are in charge of the process.)

I'm not sure what to make of the low turnout during the time we were at the polls. The Democrats outnumber the Republicans in this area by more than 2 to 1.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:16 pm
@dlowan,
I'm listening to NPR - the media is cautious about calling it all too early. So, they'll call the states as they close starting on the east coast and move on towards the west. I think they'll wait until it is very clear before declaring a winner which means it'll be earlier if the race has a big gap between the candidates and later if it's close.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:17 pm
@JPB,
aliquots, a word of my lab time -

geez, louise, I see I'm not the only one to romp on the word --

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Aliquot&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:19 pm
@littlek,
Yes, good point... if it's a true landslide for example, that'd get called earlier than a squeaker.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I will be at the McCain Phoenix Election Headquarters tonight. I'm less optimistic than my wife that it will be a celebratory event.

I'm sorry I can't wish the two of you good luck -- but I wish you both well.

Thanks, Thomas. Now, if you would, please wish that there is free food and drinks.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:23 pm
@Joe Nation,
Things were bad a for a while here in Falls Church, VA. Only 2 machines and the line almost reached outside. However 3 machines arrived, and then the line started to speed along.

T
K
O
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Tangentially, in my later lab facility days, one could squirt equal amounts of solution into test tubes, be the amounts 1 mm, or larger. All these years later, I think of the word when I think of 'spurts'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
didn't mean stuff on aliquots as a neg. Ah, well.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:30 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Tell us, was your precinct crowded, uncrowded, were there goof-ups or did things go smoothly? Incredibly!
What was your experience like? Great!
Did you have new voting machines, paper ballots or was it all digital? Paper fill in the dots.
Any place still using punchcards?
Did you talk to anyone in line? Just about the weather... though I quized the volunteers.
Were the helpers helpful? Helpful and plentiful. Like 40 people!
Did you see anyone having difficulty? Maybe they couldn't find their name? Maybe their place had already been signed? No trouble!
Did you drive someplace to vote or was it within walking distance of your home? Walked a few blocks.
How long did it take from the moment you arrived until you actually voted? 15 minutes, including registration and jawjacking with the help!
What else was being voted on? Bond issues? For what? Schools?, water or other services? Not much to do there. Mostly Republicans running unopposed.
What parties, other than the Democrats and the GOP, were on the ballot? Nader, Barr... surpisingly Cynthia Mckinney and some other folks.
How many other Presidential elections have you participated in and how did this one compare? 6 Haven't been this excited since Ross Perot. First time since Perot I got to vote for, instead of against somebody! Wisconsin is a breeze compared to Florida for voting... but I've never had trouble with it.

Joe(inquiring mind)Nation

GOBAMA!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I am hoping to get to play "aliquots" against my arch-enemy in Scrabble, "Excellent" in Brooklyn. It will drive him nuts.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:42 pm
@Ticomaya,
Wishing free food and drinks for the Ticomayas!
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:44 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Wishing free food and drinks for the Ticomayas!
Me too!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:57 pm
Free FOOD (not nipsy bits) and STRONG drinks for the Ticomayans.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
That would violate the First Commandment of Republicanism: There's no such thing as a free lunch. So, no librul welfare handouts for you.

Sorry! My heart goes out to you, though.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:07 pm
@Thomas,
Come on Thomas... we gotta spread the wealth.
0 Replies