I Think We Are Doomed

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:29 am
I think we are doomed.

I think Obama is going to win and I think the USA is going to suffer in many painful ways. Oh sure, I like Obama. I think it is great that a black guy is going to be president. But the honeymoon is going to be short.

Here, let me explain. He is like John Kennedy and he is like Jimmy Carter. That is a bad thing. Kennedy did not really know when and how to go to war and he got us in a mess in Vietnam. Carter was a passifist and that lead to more conflict.

Jimmy Carter was a great guy. Everyone thought that his passifism would lead to peace. Everyone was WRONG.

Everyone thought Regan was going to be a horrible president. Everyone thought his military build up would lead to war. Everyone was wrong.

Everyone thinks Obama is going to be wonderful. I think everyone is wrong. I think we are doomed.

I heard Obama discussed on a radio program where the host as well as the callers were African American and there were a few people who were excited about Obama but they did not have any good follow-up comments to some of the host's and opposition's concerns. For example, one excited supporter commented on how smart Obama is and how (magically) this means he would be a great president. He seemed to imply that this meant he could fix the economy. When asked directly what economic experience Obama had, the supporter said that he had a law degree from Harvard (wow, magic). But that is a law degree from Harvard and not any economic experience. When pressed on this, the supporter did not have any follow up comment.

I have heard it said that it would be better to have an intelligent guy in the White House rather than an average Joe.

This does not make any sense to me. The Office of the President was formed with someone in mind to fill the position. And that person was a general.

Obama does not have a general's mentality. This was clear in the debates. Obama stresses pulling out of Iraq and focusing our forces in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

While, logically and intellectually and on the surface this seems like a very intelligent move.

But it isn't. It is not what it seems. It is very poor strategy. But Obama is too confident and has too high an opinion on his own mastery of all things and his capacity to conquer all knowable subjects to see when he is wrong. We are doomed. As General George Patton said, "Never let your enemy choose the battlefield" This is what Obama is going to do. This is what Kennedy did in Vietnam. This is what Carter tried to do in the failed rescue missions in Iran.

It is like electing a damn good friendly negotiator and lawyer to come in and play war games. We are doomed.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 10,115 • Replies: 40

gungasnake

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:44 am
@Bill Thompson,
Quote:
Jimmy Carter was a great guy. Everyone thought that his passifism would lead to peace. Everyone was WRONG.

Simple explanation... In the real world, people and nations get attacked for appearing weak and feckless; nobody ever yet got attacked for appearing too powerful and resolute.
engineer

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:02 am
@Bill Thompson,
Welcome to A2K Bill. We've been debating this for a while now and there are several here who support your opinion, but a lot of us see it differently. Obama has demonstrated his ability to surround himself with very sharp people, listen to their opinions and make the big call. On the economic front, the key example is McCain's proposed gas tax holiday over the summer. Senator Clinton quickly jumped on board even though economists all over the country said that such a move would take vital funds away from our infrastructure accounts and allow refiners to take home more profits without relief making it to the consumer. Obama refused to endorse such an action even though it might have played well with the electorate. On foreign policy, Obama publicly objected to the Iraq war when the country was in war fever. Once again, not a popular position, but in hind sight the correct one. He didn't object because he is a pacifist, but because there was no demonstrated threat the to US or our interests. He's repeatedly stated that he wants to move our troops to Afganistan where the real enemy is instead of fighting the people of Iraq. Compare that to his opponent who was calling for an invasion of Iraq as soon as initial success was evident in Afganistan, who has ignored Afganistan even though there is a direct connection between our enemies there and 911 and who has called for military action against Iran, opening a third front in a war where we are already stretched thin.

Overall, Obama has demonstrated strong judgement on both domestic and international fronts. That doesn't mean that he won't make mistakes going forward or that our problems will be miraculously solved the day he is sworn in, but I think you don't need to sweat our impending doom... unless McCain is elected.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:30 am
@engineer,
Obama represents the end of democracy and is a clear and present danger to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:32 am
@cjhsa,
Cjhsa suck pallic symbols
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:43 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Simple explanation... In the real world, people and nations get attacked for appearing weak and feckless; nobody ever yet got attacked for appearing too powerful and resolute.

So, we appeared weak and feckless in 2001?
ebrown p

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:51 am
@eoe,
Saddam Hussein got attacked.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:56 am
@eoe,
Yes. Bush made it apparnt when he took office that we were weak and feckless. That's why the Chinese challenged him right away with the whole "the plane was in our airspace" thing and why AQ attacked us in September. had we elected someone strong on defense, perhaps a General or even someone that had REALLY served, none of that would have happened.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:03 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:
Obama represents the end of democracy and is a clear and present danger to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

I am going to pretend that I didn't read that sentence, thereby allowing cjhsa to maintain a modicum of dignity and credibility.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:06 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
Just ask Hugo Chavez..... he's an Obama supporter... like you.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:12 am

Welcome to A2K Bill.

You will quickly notice that the vast majority of A2K members drink liberal Kool-Aid.

This addiction prohibits them from thinking for themselves - they are the collective.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:18 am
@Bill Thompson,
Bill Thompson wrote:

Everyone thought Regan was going to be a horrible president. Everyone thought his military build up would lead to war. Everyone was wrong.

Grenada, Iraq, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq. Those are the wars I remember in my lifetime. There have probably been more (including "action" in South and Central America in the name of the war on drugs). I don't know if this was the effect of a military buildup or just a very powerful lobby of war profiteers who prefer that we always be fighting someone, somewhere, but I don't see a correlation between Reagan's administration and peaceful times.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:27 am
@Bill Thompson,
Bill Thompson wrote:

Obama does not have a general's mentality.

What is a general's mentality? It seems to me that Obama has the ability to think and act strategically and that is why he is currently ahead. He also appears to be long-sighted, meaning he can work towards goals that are far in the future and has the patience to execute plans to reach those goals.

Regardless, I read your whole post and I can see and respect that you think Obama will be a disaster. I just don't see any specific indication of what it is that you think will happen that will mean we are "doomed". I mean, Bush was/is pretty bad and he messed up this country in many ways that will be hard to recover from, but I still wouldn't say that we're doomed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:40 am
@Bill Thompson,
If by 'we' you mean 'American Republicans,' I must agree.

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Hardly, we have more guns.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:58 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Hardly, we have more guns.

So what? Guns don't govern a country.

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:59 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
Quote:
I am going to pretend that I didn't read that sentence, thereby allowing cjhsa to maintain a modicum of dignity and credibility.

And I, working day and night in my garage, am building a zero-emissions vessel that will be borne aloft through a process of variable magnetic repulsion/attraction allowing me to utilize properties of the ether - to, in effect, swim upon and within it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

So what? Guns don't govern a country.

When Skinny has his new heavily armed police in place he will rule with guns.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:11 am
@H2O MAN,
and as we walk down the street going about our business and occasionally see those elite troops loading assholes like you onto the buses' for transport to the reeducation camps.... we will be smug.....believe it..... we will be smug.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:14 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,

You are smug, and you will be smug as the bus rolls over your dumb ass.