Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 10:46 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Nothing at all wrong with a little social pressure on scientists to get your view of the universe approved is that your position?

No. My position is that science was converging on the conclusion that homosexuality was not a mental illness. The role of social pressure in this case was public outcry to recognize that fact.

You are giving social factors more credit while I give science more credit.
BillRM wrote:

Hmm Lest see you explain to all of us how that is not the same as when a little social pressure where placed on the scientist Galileo to declare that he was in error and the earth does not in fact revolve around the sun but the other way around.

It's not the same because the social pressure here would not be in support of science but in spite of it. done.
BillRM wrote:

You can to this day proudly point out that the great scientist Galileo stated as a scientific fact that the earth is the center of the universe.

What's your point?
BillRM wrote:

Sorry you can not at one hand, at lest honestly, declare something is a scientific fact and with the other hand applause the pressure that was place to have it so declare a fact.

Yes I certainly can, and quite honestly at that. You're logic is totally flawed, and your comprehension of what I'm saying is even worse.

You see, the victory of the APA's decision would not be as meaningful had scientists before, then, now, and in our future continued to study and further our understanding of homosexuality.

You think the APA's stance is exclusive to social pressure. I give credit to the studies that they could no longer ignore and the social pressure was to acknowledge that fact.
BillRM wrote:

Science does not disagree with my position a social movement that is powerful enough to limit and bend expert opinions disagree with my position science sadly had nothing to do with it.

Your position is not empirical at all. Let's look at exactly what you just posted...

"Science sadly had nothing to do with it."

Yet, not but two posts ago, I link to you at your convenience a article about research prior to any social call to remove homosexuality from the lists of mental disorders. Did you bother to educate yourself on it? If you had, you would know why what you posted above is at best ignorant, at worst an outright lie.

You choose.
BillRM wrote:

One fact we do know before that little social pressure was place on the APA it position was that homosexuality was a disorder, just as before a little social pressure was place on Galileo he was under the ‘wrong’ impression that the earth revolve around the sun.

How much money goes into researching flat earth theory again Bill?

The Universal model has changed over time, and when we learned that the earth directly orbited the sun (bad example BTW, you're talking to an Aerospace Engineer...) we updated the universal model. We've done that several times.

You've rambled about the power of the majority, but somehow think that the minority is responcible for this change in psychological understanding. If there was no science (AS YOU DIRECTLY CLAIM) in the verdict on gays, then homosexuality would be back on the list, and most likely would have never left the list to begin with. But here we are and before, then, and now we continue to see empirically that homosexuals are not sociopaths.

You argument is impotent and you know it. You don't have the science to conclusively back up your claims RE: gays, so you just attack the decision to support those who did have the science contrary to your beliefs.

It's pretty cowardly: You don't acknowledge the science that went into the decision so you can reduce the decision to a matter of simple social outcry, which you illustrate are either whining to get "wants" of unearned windfalls from the backs of society's only contributors--heterosexuals OR you paint widely gays as being scary violent sociopaths hellbent on shredding the fabric of society so they can satiate their perverse carnal desires. Forget the labor of those who had spent years studying the subject and found that there was never a threat to begin with.

Bottom line: Being gay isn't a disease, I'm not asking you to take my word for it, you can get educated and see for yourself.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 10:58 am
@BillRM,
The Boomer Generation has run America for a long time, they were a big generation and they never gave up the dream of the sixties, the belief that freedom from the establishment was the goal. They mostly believe that there can never be too much individual freedom. This generation has used its coercive power like any other, and the courts have lately reflected this faith in individual freedom.

But, we are now t the end of that era, as the boomers retire and die, and as what they built comes crashing down around us, as the bills they left to the follow on generations become known to the follow on generations. The boomers were as a class irresponsible, the economy that they built is a disgrace to America, their ethics are ****, and their call for complete individual freedom is as irresponsible and as ignorant of human nature as everything else that they did and believe is.

This question of homosexual rights is not over by a long shot. The weather is changing fast, if homosexuals are going to get more rights to individual freedom it will not be based upon their claim that they can not be denied, it will be because they prove that it is in the majorities best interest to allow for it.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:12 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
This question of homosexual rights is not over by a long shot. The weather is changing fast, if homosexuals are going to get more rights to individual freedom it will not be based upon their claim that they can not be denied, it will be because they prove that it is in the majorities best interest to allow for it.

Gays don't have anything left to prove. They aren't crazy, they aren't threatening the world, they raise children too, they love, they work, they pay taxes, and they serve our armed serves at great profession risk to themselves if outed. They didn't need to prove any of this, but they do anyways, because people like you ask them to. And what happens when they do? Do you follow through on your end? No.

Of course the greater and more honest truth is that they shouldn't have to prove anything you don't have to prove to enjoy the same rights as you and I. You don't have to prove to the government that your marriage is in the government's interest, but you think gays should.

Go ahead and blame the boomers but by what I've read in this thread, the boomers did plenty to contribute to the nation just by having kids. Having kids is what it's about apparently. The asshole who does win-fall insider trading contributes more through having a child than the scientist with no children... I jest, but the point remains: Gays don't have anything to prove to you.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:12 am
@hawkeye10,
I should add that the boomers have decimated both the middle class and the family, there is a lot of repair work to be done to both.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:23 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I should add that...
You don't really add that much here.

The irony for me is that while you'll blame the boomers for all of this stuff like the collapse of the family, the economy, etc, you'll allow them to get married. BTW, since we are talking about the boomers, you'll allow for their right to get married multiple times.

But not gays. No, gays need to prove that they can do what the boomers didn't do (according to you).

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:27 am
@Diest TKO,
Actually, I am not in favor of easy divorces. If it were up to me I would make divorce much more difficult and time consuming. It would also partly negate one of the arguments against gay marriage, that gay relationships are much more transient then heterosexual relationship.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:29 am
@Diest TKO,
You know science in fact can not exist in a field where any theory or any research that dare to produce results that a special interest group does not care for will result in the researcher/scientist and his family being harm/punish in one manner or another.

Sadly we had have this condition in the field of sexual orientation for a generation or so and therefore we had no real science in that area either for that time period.

I am sure that some research did support your position before the ban on real science went into effect just as some did not do so. We will never know what the outcome would had been if science had been free to continue in this area.

TKO you might be happy with this suppression of science but in the long run it is in no one best interest even the gay right community.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:40 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Actually, I am not in favor of easy divorces.

Not what's at question.

You'll still let the boomers marry and destroy what you think gays should have to prove they can contribute to. irony.
hawkeye10 wrote:

If it were up to me I would make divorce much more difficult and time consuming.

Why? What would that prove?

I'd like to decrease divorce rates too, but I'd rather be working on positive incentives.
hawkeye10 wrote:

It would also partly negate one of the arguments against gay marriage, that gay relationships are much more transient then heterosexual relationship.

If 100 gays were getting married and half of them were getting divorces, that's still 50 more successful gay marriages than we have now (in 48 states). Adam and Steve deserve the right to be judged by their own merits, not by the merits of Donny and Chet, or other people named Adam or Steve. What you are talking about is profiling.

Fact: Men smoke more than women.

So if I was a insurance agent, should I penalize a man because men smoke more, even if he doesn't smoke? No.

T
K
O
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Easy divorce is not a problem if no minor children are involved.

Hawkee to be fair to the gay community the ladies tend to form fairly long term pair bonds from the studies I had seen, now the males will on the other hand be a big bonus for the divorce lawyers
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:39 pm
@BillRM,
lesbians do form longer lasting relationships than gay men do, but I don't see how we make separate rules for men and women so it is the average that counts. lesbians also are much more likely to be monogamis, for those who care about that, and to be sexual in relationship as apposed to being casually sexual outside of relationship, but again it is the average between men and women that we need to go by. If lesbians become willing to embrace separate rules for them and gay men then the game changes a lot. I am much more willing to grant marriage rights and the right to raise children to lesbians than i am to gay men.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorry it is not allow to consider the differences between men and women homosexuals as it is not allow to consider the larger differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals couples.

The PC nonsense and the anti-logic/anti-science emotions that surround this issue always had amaze me.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The argument is: "I am, I am, who are you to tell me I'm not?" Your argument is the wall paper: You want not for them and you can't understand your limits.

You can't seem to get away from thinking in terms of the construct of the individual, which we have made up and which may or may not be useful. In any case the individual is shaped by the community, by culture, by the collective, so what the collective chooses to do as as important as what the individual chooses to do. You take your slavishness to individuality and then claim that the collective has no rights. Wake up......the collective always maintains its rights and the collective will not be talked out of exercising its rights.

The slave owners of the 19th Century agreed with you. This is what their "collective" decreed:

Quote:
A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove....

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists....

Utter subjugation awaits us in the Union, if we should consent longer to remain in it. It is not a matter of choice, but of necessity. We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property....

Wow. The Southern "Collective" would not be talked out of "exercising its rights" to oppress and subjugate an entire class of people. After all, they argued, the institution of slavery was necessary. They argued that the continuation of the institution of slavery was the greatest material interest of the world. They proclaimed that a blow against slavery was a blow against commerce and civilization. But your are wrong when you allege, "the collective always maintains its rights." Why is that, you ask? Because, in our post-Civil War society, the "collective" does NOT have the right to oppress and subjugate individuals and minorities.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra you do know that the Supreme Court had no problem with slavery and it rulings supported slavery until the 13 amendment was pass?

If you wish to have a constitution right to gay married I suggest you begin to try to talk your fellow citizens into passing a new amendment.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Debra you do know that the Supreme Court had no problem with slavery and it rulings supported slavery until the 13 amendment was pass?

If you wish to have a constitution right to gay married I suggest you begin to try to talk your fellow citizens into passing a new amendment.

Why should this require an amendment?

T
K
O
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 09:39 am
@Diest TKO,
Because no matter how hard Debra look with her secret encoder ring there is no such right in the consitution as it now stand and the liklihood of the current court or any likely future court finding such a right appearing out of thin air is next to zero in our lifetimes. The court of the 197os is long gone into history.

Only the fact that Obama should be president hopefully when the next wave of judges will need to be replace will likely keep the court from withdrawing abort rights let alone adding gay married rights.

Her arguments otherwise might has a slight intellect interest in them, but that all there is to her postings.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:16 am
@BillRM,
The fact the the SC has looked away as the majority of the states have moved to take away abortion rights (abortion availability) and made doctors give an anti abortion diatribe to everyone who wants an abortion (North Dakota) should give Debra pause about her belief that America's move to an individual rights based legal foundation is solid.

Road blocks, the seizure of assets of those who the police decide are profiting from illegal drugs or allowing drug traffic on their property, workplace drug testing, and the using of the concept of informed consent to nullify sexual freedom of choice, the broad legality to use camera and tape to monitor citizens, the using of roving bands of security personal with drug dogs to search citizens who are minding their own business are all other reasons Debra should not be sure that she is right.
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeyes what Debra and TKO do not seem to understand is no matter what their opinions on the Constitution is or is not, there are only nine men and women on earth who opinion matter in the end.

How Debra can seem to think that the current SC or any likely near term court is going to grant some right for gays to married is beyond me.

If Obama had not been elected president there would had been a real chance that abortion rights would had gone back into thin air where it first came from in the 1970s.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 05:01 pm
@BillRM,
the court is NOT independent of the society, the court can sometimes lead but not often and not far in advance of the people. I think what Debra and TKO fail to understand is the the society has not decided about gay rights, and that the court opinions have not been consistent and have not been near unanimous. Gay rights won the last round by one vote (5/4) as I recall, after losing the battle before that.....this does not indicate that we know that the gay rights argument (individual rights to be free from social restraint) will win the next. As I have said, societies rights of monitoring and refusing rights to the individual have won many times in the supreme court over the last generation.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:05 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
If Obama had not been elected president there would had been a real chance that abortion rights would had gone back into thin air where it first came from in the 1970s.

What YOU do not seem to understand is that inalienable liberty interests are constitutionally secured against government denials and deprivations for good reason. For example, the choice to have or not to have children belongs to the individual, not to the government. If morons like you desire to "transfer" authority over that individual choice to the STATE, then you should know that the pendulum can swing either way. If the State has the power to force a woman to continue a pregnancy, then the State also has the power force a woman to terminate a pregnancy. The State would have the power to sterilize men and women to prevent over-population. China has already gone down that road.

JUSTICE GOLDBERG wrote:
Surely the Government, absent a showing of a compelling subordinating state interest, could not decree that all husbands and wives must be sterilized after two children have been born [381 U.S. 479, 497] to them. Yet by their reasoning such an invasion of marital privacy would not be subject to constitutional challenge because, while it might be "silly," no provision of the Constitution specifically prevents the Government from curtailing the marital right to bear children and raise a family. While it may shock some of my Brethren that the Court today holds that the Constitution protects the right of marital privacy, in my view it is far more shocking to believe that the personal liberty guaranteed by the Constitution does not include protection against such totalitarian limitation of family size, which is at complete variance with our constitutional concepts. Yet, if upon a showing of a slender basis of rationality, a law outlawing voluntary birth control by married persons is valid, then, by the same reasoning, a law requiring compulsory birth control also would seem to be valid. In my view, however, both types of law would unjustifiably intrude upon rights of marital privacy which are constitutionally protected.

GRISWOLD v. CONNECTICUT, 381 U.S. 479, 496-497 (1965) (JUSTICE GOLDBERG, concurring).

JUSTICE O'CONNOR wrote:
As we described in [505 U.S. 833, 859] Carey v. Population Services International, supra, the liberty which encompasses those decisions "includes "the interest in independence in making certain kinds of important decisions." While the outer limits of this aspect of [protected liberty] have not been marked by the Court, it is clear that among the decisions that an individual may make without unjustified government interference are personal decisions "'relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, and childrearing and education.'" 431 U.S., at 684 -685 (citations omitted).

The soundness of this prong of the Roe analysis is apparent from a consideration of the alternative. If indeed the woman's interest in deciding whether to bear and beget a child had not been recognized as in Roe, the State might as readily restrict a woman's right to choose to carry a pregnancy to term as to terminate it, to further asserted state interests in population control, or eugenics, for example. Yet Roe has been sensibly relied upon to counter any such suggestions. E.g., Arnold v. Board of Education of Escambia County, Ala., 880 F.2d 305, 311 (CA11 1989) (relying upon Roe and concluding that government officials violate the Constitution by coercing a minor to have an abortion); Avery v. County of Burke, 660 F.2d 111, 115 (CA4 1981) (county agency inducing teenage girl to undergo unwanted sterilization on the basis of misrepresentation that she had sickle cell trait); see also In re Quinlan, 70 N. J. 10, 355 A.2d 647, cert. denied sub nom. Garger v. New Jersey, 429 U.S. 922 (1976) (relying on Roe in finding a right to terminate medical treatment).

PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF SOUTHEASTERN PA. v. CASEY, 505 U.S. 833 (1992).

When you jump on the bandwagon to approve and applaud the oppression of disfavored individuals and minorities, you can be confident that it won't be long before your cherished liberty is eliminated as well.

BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:17 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra there is a lady that is still posting that Obama can not be president as he is not a citizen by birth and you are no more connected with the real universe then she is, in my opnion.

Once more there are nine men and women that as a body are the final judge of what is or is not in the constitution.

Quoting parts of opinions of some of those nine judgers and therefore assuming that they will rule in some future case at least 5/4 in favor of gay married rights is beyond silly.

Also I had taken note you are quotings judges that normally have a habit of ending up on the wrong side of 5/4 cases.
0 Replies