Diest TKO

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 01:18 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Sorry I do not agree.

You premise is wrong so understandably your conclusion is wrong. E.g. - This notion of "resourses" being given to gay couples, presumably instead of being given to straight couples, who are more deserving because of their ability to produce a child, being a reason to oppose gay marriage.

False premise.
BillRM wrote:

Once more there is zero reason for the state to license any class of private sexual relationships with zero chance of producing childen within those relationships

You are making this up as you go. This criteria would exclude infertile people from getting married.

You wanna go there?

You are not legally required to produce a single child a a product of a marriage, and you know it. The couple that chooses to have 16 children can be married just as the couple that choose not to or physically cannot have children.

This is exactly the point in time when you abandon this old and failed argument.
BillRM wrote:

What the hell do you think is the reason we have builded such a complexed web of laws and customs around marriages in the first place?

Taxes, inheritance, legal delegation, social security, etc etc etc, but not in the slightest do I believe as you that our laws about marriage have anything to do with breeding.
BillRM wrote:

And it is a miscarry of justice to tell the rest of the society that in order to make gays feel better about themselves we need to lied and bring them into a legal framework never design to deal with that class of persons.

It's not about making gays "feel better." It's about the ethical obligation to protect a minority from majaritarian oppression.

The legal framework can easily accomadate for same sex couples. The dynamic is still two people of equal status.
BillRM wrote:

We have no stake in the length or stablity of any homosexaul relationship and we have no right to take resources and hand them over to gay couples from everyone else without such reasons.

What are these "resourses" that would be handed over? How would any resourses a gay couple recieve be unjustified if they were to recieve them?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Copper Seth

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:12 pm
"The above in simple, but perhaps you lack the necessary intellect to understand basic information."

Duh, what did you say, duh I don't get it duh, I can't read, duh..

The government does not prevent gays from marrying people from the opposite sex, and the law applies to them just as it does for straights. We BOTH have to marry someone from the opposite sex. So it isn't discrimination because as you said earlier under general applicability, the rule applies to both straights and gays. What if my choice for a partner were my sister or a 10 year old? Then I guess the government would have to get involved and I can use the same argument for a ban on gay marriage.

Now if your intellect can't grasp that very simple point, then why don't you go back to san francisco and bomb some more ludes.

I obviously KNOW that my religious beliefs are relevant. Now you are trying to prevent my opinions from affecting my decisions. Whose the crazy person now??? Yeah, crazy churches. You have been calling christians crazy, so why can't I call you people crazy. Hypocrite!

Oh, and about the separation of church and state, which you can't even understand the context in which Jefferson was explaining it. I highly suggest you try reading the danbury baptist letters, or any historic document where you'll see that their religious beliefs were relevant and played a huge role in creating our constitution. You remember God, don't you? He's the guy they keep talking about. They also called him creator, inventor, master, etc. I guess all the founding fathers were violating the 1st amendment.

Since you obviously didn't read the danbury baptist letters, let me remind you in case you have just been ignoring this huge part. When Jefferson discussed separation of church in state, he said it applies to opinions, not actions. I don't think it's the reading part you have a problem with, just the interpretation. Do you know what an opinion is? It's my opinion that if a church marries a gay couple, they are crazy because that is something God and Jesus would have a problem with, so it doesn't make any sense.

Also, you are crazy. And when you are a hypocrite, you shouldn't be calling other people hypocrites.

But really, I love talking about this with you because you sound so smart. I really feel like you are helping your side.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 09:36 pm
@Copper Seth,
Copper Seth wrote:

The government does not prevent gays from marrying people from the opposite sex, and the law applies to them just as it does for straights. We BOTH have to marry someone from the opposite sex. So it isn't discrimination because as you said earlier under general applicability, the rule applies to both straights and gays.

You get an F for legal history and precedent. Debra and others already pointed out that this argument is not supported by the Supreme Court (Loving v Virginia).

You lost this argument before you even touched the keyboard.
Copper Seth wrote:

What if my choice for a partner were my sister or a 10 year old? Then I guess the government would have to get involved and I can use the same argument for a ban on gay marriage.

Then you should argue with BillRM. Since you are capable of breeding with them, apparently that's the point of marriage and it should be allowed by his standards. Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, if you can't tell the difference between two consenting adults and one adult and one youth (who is legally incapable of making such a choice), it's your problem not mine.

Besides, incestuous marriage and child forced marriage is a part of the rich history of your mythology.
Copper Seth wrote:

Now if your intellect can't grasp that very simple point, then why don't you go back to san francisco and bomb some more ludes.

Last time I was in San Fransisco, I didn't bomb ludes. I did have some excellent pizza though.
Copper Seth wrote:

I obviously KNOW that my religious beliefs are relevant. Now you are trying to prevent my opinions from affecting my decisions.

Not at all. I am very tolerant of your mythology in regards to your opinions. What I am not accepting of is you using the government to force your mythology on me or anyone else.
Copper Seth wrote:

Whose the crazy person now???

This isn't a game of tag, you're still it.
Copper Seth wrote:

Yeah, crazy churches. You have been calling christians crazy, so why can't I call you people crazy. Hypocrite!

You're free to call me crazy. You're free to say 1+1=3 if you like too. Doesn't mean anything since you can't back up what you claim.
Copper Seth wrote:

Oh, and about the separation of church and state, which you can't even understand the context in which Jefferson was explaining it. I highly suggest you try reading the danbury baptist letters, or any historic document where you'll see that their religious beliefs were relevant and played a huge role in creating our constitution.

Never said they weren't relevant. I'm trying to educate you that while they were spiritual people, they still made a secular government.

The secular government is exactly why both you and I are not forced to be Episcopalian or Catholic or Buddhist or Atheist and/or/etc.
Copper Seth wrote:

You remember God, don't you? He's the guy they keep talking about.

"God" isn't a name, it's a title or concept.

Jesus?
Yahweh?
Elohim?
Jehova?
Buddha? (<-- not actually a god)
Set?
Ala?
Zeus?
Odin?

You're statement is tantamount to "Hey you remember Officer don't you? He's the guy people keep talking about."

The answer to that question would be: "No. I don't know who you are talking about. What's the officer's name?"

You won't find Jesus or Zeus in the constitution. Only the concept of a god, no endorsement of any religion.
Copper Seth wrote:

They also called him creator, inventor, master, etc. I guess all the founding fathers were violating the 1st amendment.

They violated it in no way I can see. They had their views about who or what he was, and if it was their agenda to advance that belief, they did so by social means not legal means.
Copper Seth wrote:

Since you obviously didn't read the danbury baptist letters, let me remind you in case you have just been ignoring this huge part. When Jefferson discussed separation of church in state, he said it applies to opinions, not actions.

You could not possibly be more wrong about this. Seriously...
Thomas Jefferson in the Danbury Baptist Letters wrote:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God; that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship; that the legislative powers of the government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore man to all of his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

emphasis added to point out how incredibly uneducated you are.

Copper Seth wrote:

I don't think it's the reading part you have a problem with, just the interpretation.

As illustrated above, I am right (again), and you were wrong (again). It's you who has reading comprehension problems.

Copper Seth wrote:

Do you know what an opinion is? It's my opinion that if a church marries a gay couple, they are crazy because that is something God and Jesus would have a problem with, so it doesn't make any sense.

You're free to have your opinion. You have the opinion I'm sure that unicorns don't exist. However, if I did believe in unicorns, my opinion on how they feel about gay marriage would also be irrelevant to this discussion.

Copper Seth wrote:

Also, you are crazy. And when you are a hypocrite, you shouldn't be calling other people hypocrites.

Crazy? Another one of your opinions I can file away.

I'm not a hypocrite. So by your own logic, I guess I get to call you a hypocrite at will. That actually seems perfectly appropriate at this moment.

You're a hypocrite. And unlike the same claim you have for me, I can and have been backing mine up.

Copper Seth wrote:

But really, I love talking about this with you because you sound so smart. I really feel like you are helping your side.

I on the other hand get rather bored talking to you because you sound so dumb. I really feel like you are hurting your side.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:25 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
You get an F for legal history and precedent. Debra and others already pointed out that this argument is not supported by the Supreme Court (Loving v Virginia).

You lost this argument before you even touched the keyboard.

Man you can pile on the sactimonious bull ****!
Quote:
[Some activists believe that the Loving ruling will eventually aid the marriage equality movement for same-sex partnerships, if courts allow the Equal Protection Clause to be used. F.C. Decoste states, "If the only arguments against same sex marriage are sectarian, then opposing the legalization of same sex marriage is invidious in a fashion no different from supporting anti miscegenation laws". These activists maintain that miscegenation laws are to interracial marriage, as sodomy laws are to homosexual rights and that sodomy laws were enacted in order to maintain traditional sex roles that have become part of American society. Opponents point out that the United States Supreme Court in the case of Baker v. Nelson, decided just a few years after the Loving decision, summarily affirmed that traditional marriage laws do not violate the Constitution of the United States.

On June 12, 2007, Mildred Loving issued a rare public statement prepared for delivery on the 40th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia decision of the US Supreme Court, which commented on same-sex marriage.[9] The concluding paragraphs of her statement read as follows:

“ Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the "wrong kind of person" for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people's religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people's civil rights.
I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That's what Loving, and loving, are all about.

The Majority Opinion of the New York Court of Appeals in Hernandez v. Robles rejected any reliance upon the Loving case as controlling upon the issue of same-sex marriage, holding that:

“ [T]he historical background of Loving is different from the history underlying this case. Racism has been recognized for centuries " at first by a few people, and later by many more " as a revolting moral evil. This country fought a civil war to eliminate racism's worst manifestation, slavery, and passed three constitutional amendments to eliminate that curse and its vestiges. Loving was part of the civil rights revolution of the 1950s and 1960s, the triumph of a cause for which many heroes and many ordinary people had struggled since our nation began. It is true that there has been serious injustice in the treatment of homosexuals also, a wrong that has been widely recognized only in the relatively recent past, and one our Legislature tried to address when it enacted the Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act four years ago (L 2002, ch 2). But the traditional definition of marriage is not merely a by-product of historical injustice. Its history is of a different kind. The idea that same-sex marriage is even possible is a relatively new one. Until a few decades ago, it was an accepted truth for almost everyone who ever lived, in any society in which marriage existed, that there could be marriages only between participants of different sex. A court should not lightly conclude that everyone who held this belief was irrational, ignorant or bigoted. We do not so conclude.[10] ”

Similarly the concurring opinion in the same case stated that:

“ Plaintiffs' reliance on Loving v. Virginia (388 US 1 [1967]) for the proposition that the US Supreme Court has established a fundamental "right to marry the spouse of one's choice" outside the male/female construct is misplaced. In Loving, an interracial couple argued that Virginia's antimiscegenation statute, which precluded "any white person in this State to marry any save a white person, or a person with no other admixture of blood than white and American Indian" (id. at 5 n 4), violated the federal Due Process and Equal Protection clauses. The statute made intermarriage in violation of its terms a felony carrying a potential jail sentence of one to five years. The Lovings"a white man and a black woman"had married in violation of the law and been convicted, prompting them to challenge the validity of the Virginia law. The Supreme Court struck the statute on both equal protection and due process grounds, but the focus of the analysis was on the Equal Protection Clause. Noting that "[t]he clear and central purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment was to eliminate all official state sources of invidious racial discrimination in the States," the Court applied strict scrutiny review to the racial classification, finding "no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification" (id. at 10, 11). It made clear "that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the Equal Protection Clause" (id. at 12). There is no question that the Court viewed this antimiscegenation statute as an affront to the very purpose for the adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment"to combat invidious racial discrimination. In its brief due process analysis, the Supreme Court reiterated that marriage is a right "fundamental to our very existence and survival" (id., citing Skinner, 316 US at 541)"a clear reference to the link between marriage and procreation. It reasoned: "To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes . . . is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law" (id.). Although the Court characterized the right to marry as a "choice," it did not articulate the broad "right to marry the spouse of one's choice" suggested by plaintiffs here. Rather, the Court observed that "[t]he Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations" (id. [emphasis added]). Needless to say, a statutory scheme that burdens a fundamental right by making conduct criminal based on the race of the individual who engages in it is inimical to the values embodied in the state and federal Due Process clauses. Far from recognizing a right to marry extending beyond the one woman and one man union, it is evident from the Loving decision that the Supreme Court viewed marriage as fundamental precisely because of its relationship to human procreation.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

Loving does not automatically do what you claim that it does, and if you are one quarter as smart as you claim that you are then you already know this. You are being dishonest and a bully in this argument, hoping to shout down the opposing view because you don't want to deal with it. You sir, are no gentleman.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
One other fact that seems to have escaped TKO the brilliant one:
Quote:
Although the impact of Bush's judicial appointments is most often noticed at the Supreme Court, it has played out much more frequently and more importantly here and in the nation's 12 other appellate courts, where his appointees and their liberal counterparts are waging often-bitter ideological battles. After Bush's eight years in office, Republican-appointed majorities firmly control the outcomes in 10 of these courts, compared with seven after President Bill Clinton's tenure. They also now share equal representation with Democratic appointees on two additional courts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/07/AR2008120702876.html?hpid=topnews
Until and unless the Supremes take on gay marriage, as they are unlikely to do, getting gay marriage past the review of the courts is an iffy proposition at best. Loving is not worth a whole lot in this environment.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sounds to me like you've just shot yourself in the foot for making a case for liberal judicial bench legislation.

Be the judge liberal or conservative, I hope that the court sides with the soundest legal argument. They did in April. Here we go again.

In the end, it may prove that prop8 ends up helping the movement to equally protect gays because it may have truly set off a chain of reactions that the opposition may not be able to counter.

It may not be this case. It may not be CA's day. However, the movement for gay rights is making huge improvements. I think that things such as "don't ask don't tell" may be challenged in the next decade. A shift in that stance would make a great deal of ground to further assert that the equal protection clause should apply to sexual orientation. Beyond that, science is taking us away from the notion that being homosexual is a choice.

T
K
O
Copper Seth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:47 pm
@Diest TKO,
it appears as thought you would like secular humanism to be the religion of the US. That is, afterall, a religion.
Debra Law

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:24 pm
@Copper Seth,
Copper Seth wrote:

it appears as thought you would like secular humanism to be the religion of the US. That is, afterall, a religion.

It appears that you are in the wrong thread. Go here:

http://able2know.org/topic/50511-1

But, if you are going to be intellectually honest, you will have to disclose that your argument has been rejected:

PELOZA v. CAPISTRANO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT, 37 F.3d 517 (9th Cir. 1994):

Quote:
Peloza's complaint is not entirely consistent. In some places he seems to advance the patently frivolous claim that it is unconstitutional for the school district to require him to teach, as a valid scientific theory, that higher life forms evolved from lower ones. At other times he claims the district is forcing him to teach evolution as fact. Although possibly dogmatic or even wrong, such a requirement would not transgress the establishment clause if "evolution" simply means that higher life forms evolved from lower ones.

Peloza uses the words "evolution" and "evolutionism" interchangeably in the complaint. This is not wrong or imprecise for, indeed, they are synonyms.(3) Adding "ism" does not change the meaning nor magically metamorphose "evolution" into a religion. "Evolution" and "evolutionism" define a biological concept: higher life forms evolve from lower ones. The concept has nothing to do with how the universe was created; it has nothing to do with whether or not there is a divine Creator (who did or did not create the universe or did or did not plan evolution as part of a divine scheme).

On a motion to dismiss we are required to read the complaint charitably, to take all well-pleaded facts as true, and to assume that all general allegations embrace whatever specific facts might be necessary to support them. Lujan V. Nat'l Wildlife Federation, 497 U.S. 871, 889, 110 S.Ct. 3177, 3189, 111 L.Ed.2d 695 (1990); Abmmson V. Brownstein, 897 F.2d 389, 391 (9th Cir.1990). Charitably read, Peloza's complaint at most makes this claim: the school district's actions establish a state-supported religion of evolutionism, or more generally of "secular humanism." See Complaint at 24, 20. According to Peloza's complaint, all persons must adhere to one of two religious belief systems concerning "the origins of life and of the universe:" evolutionism, or creationism. Id. at 2. Thus, the school district, in teaching evolutionism, is establishing a state-supported "religion."

We reject this claim because neither the Supreme Court, nor this circuit, has ever held that evolutionism or secular humanism are "religions" for Establishment Clause purposes. Indeed, both the dictionary definition of religion(4) and the clear weight of the case law(5) are to the contrary. The Supreme Court has held unequivocally that while the belief in a divine creator of the universe is a religious belief, the scientific theory that higher forms of life evolved from lower forms is not. Edwards V. Aguillard. 482 U.S. 578, 107 S.Ct. 2573, 96 L.Ed.2d 510 (1987) (holding unconstitutional, under Establishment Clause, Louisiana's "Balanced Treatment for Creation-science and Evolution-Science in Public School Instruction Act").

Peloza would have us accept his definition of "evolution" and "evolutionism" and impose his definition on the school district as its own, a definition that cannot be found in the dictionary, in the Supreme Court cases, or anywhere in the common understanding of the words. Only if we define "evolution" and "evolutionism" as does Peloza as a concept that embraces the belief that the universe came into existence without a Creator might he make out a claim. This we need not do. To say red is green or black is white does not make it so. Nor need we for the purposes of a 12(b)(6) motion accept a made-up definition of "evolution." Nowhere does Peloza point to anything that conceivably suggests that the school district accepts anything other than the common definition of "evolution" and "evolutionism." It simply required him as a biology teacher in the public schools of California to teach "evolution." Peloza nowhere says it required more.

0 Replies

Copper Seth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:56 pm
@Diest TKO,
"Quote: "The basic right of man that is talked about about was deemed so for a reason...procreation, the survival of the species."
False. We were creating "a more perfect union." Nothing about survival of the species. That's not what the constitution is about. Your imagination is out of control."

I'm sorry, but you are taking only part of quotes again to suit your purposes. For anyone who is interested, here is what the Loving v. Virginia case says..."Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888). To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State."

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=388&invol=1

This case makes ZERO mentions of same sex marriage. Yet, you keep referring to it as the case that proves, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that same sex marriage should be legal because marriage was deemed a "fundamental right." Now before you start blasting me for the fact that my quote starts below what you have said about marriage. However, my point is that you said that my statement about marriage being a "fundamental right" for the purpose of procreation was false. I'm pointing out the error of that assumption. So, no, my imagination is not out of control. I've reported on what the case said.
Debra Law

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:14 pm
@Copper Seth,
Copper Seth wrote:

"Quote: "The basic right of man that is talked about about was deemed so for a reason...procreation, the survival of the species."
False. We were creating "a more perfect union." Nothing about survival of the species. That's not what the constitution is about. Your imagination is out of control."

I'm sorry, but you are taking only part of quotes again to suit your purposes. For anyone who is interested, here is what the Loving v. Virginia case says..."Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888). To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State."

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=388&invol=1

This case makes ZERO mentions of same sex marriage. Yet, you keep referring to it as the case that proves, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that same sex marriage should be legal because marriage was deemed a "fundamental right." Now before you start blasting me for the fact that my quote starts below what you have said about marriage. However, my point is that you said that my statement about marriage being a "fundamental right" for the purpose of procreation was false. I'm pointing out the error of that assumption. So, no, my imagination is not out of control. I've reported on what the case said.

You fail to grasp the simple biological fact that marriage is not required for procreation. You fail to grasp the simple legal fact that an ability or intent to procreate is not required to enter a marriage. You fail to grasp the simple social fact that the CIVIL institution of marriage is the primary means through which government regulates familial relationships and encourages societal stability. It is that regulation of human relationships and promotion of societal stability that is fundamental to our existence or survival as a society. Without regulation and stability that are the hallmarks of civilized societies, we revert to the state of nature and survival of the fittest.
0 Replies

Copper Seth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:43 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest, knock off the BS.

You can't apply Loving vs. Virginia to gay marriage because that deals with race, not sexual orientation, something that you DO have a little control over, and something that doesn't result in procreation which is the point of marriage. You get an F in common sense, and nice try with loving vs. virginia, but if you look at the court's arguments, they pretty much destroy your case.

We don't breed with 10 year olds and family members because that is a crime. The point of marriage isn't to knock up anything with a vagina, but one of the key points to marriage is procreation, something gays can't do.

What mythology are you talking about? The bible is full of historical events that actually occured, any historian can tell you that. Sounds like you are part of the flat earth society that just won't recognize truth when confronted with it. And where is forced child marriage and incestuous marriage in the bible, where God is saying this is how we should live our lives?

You aren't tolerant at all. Like calling religion mythology. What a disrespectful perspn you are. If not for religious people, this country wouldn't exist, and nor would the constitution. This country that you act like you love so much is based on religion. The laws you follow are based on religion. (according to john adams, james madison and a few other people more important than you.)

You can't call a government secular when Thomas jefferson, the athiest himself attended church in the US capital building. Nor can you call it secular when you read our most precious documents where God is invoked in pretty much every line. We aren't a secular nation! We just don't force opinions on people, that's all.

John Adams said our laws come from christianity.

'"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ." Patrick Henry

'"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our Creator. "' Thomas jefferson

On July 4, 1821, President Adams said, '"The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."'

"Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, John 17:3; and therefore to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation for our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments? James Madison, the primary author of the Constitution of the United States, said this: '"We have staked the whole future of our new nation not upon the power of government; far from it. We have staked the future of all our political constitutions upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."'

Those sound like endorsements of christianity to me.

So our founding fathers are allowing mythology to run the country I guess. What a bunch of loons, huh? They make no sense, and obviously are dumb because they follow mythology, so why follow our laws?

You were arguing my point on the danbury baptist letters. You just read it in reverse. The powers of government are allowed to affect our actions, not our opinions. Try reading that again, and stop calling people uneducated when you can't even read correctly.

Let me put it plainly. The separation applies to opinions only, not actions. The power of government applies to actions only, not opinions. DO YOU GET IT. THEY ARE SAYING THE SAME THING!!!

Anyways, you made my point. Prop 8 isn't affecting people's opinions, that's what YOU are trying to do. Prop 8 is affecting actions, which Jefferson said, the government has legitimate powers to affect. It is opinions that Jefferson said is not the business of the government.

Damn it you are not as smart as you think. You are so like obama. You think you are smart, but really, you aren't. You are a real elitist snob.

You get bored talking to me, well, then why do you go off on these long rants?

No, you are a hypocrite.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:00 pm
@Copper Seth,
Copper Seth wrote:

You can't apply Loving vs. Virginia to gay marriage because that deals with race, not sexual orientation, something that you DO have a little control over, and something that doesn't result in procreation which is the point of marriage. You get an F in common sense, and nice try with loving vs. virginia, but if you look at the court's arguments, they pretty much destroy your case.

How do gays have control over it? Paint a goose white, it still wont be a swan. Being gay isn't a choice. Pretending not to be gay is a choice. You seem to think that is okay for some ignorant reason. If being gay was a choice, it would be easy to just choose to be straight, you wouldn't have to deal with all the hatred and stigma let alone fear violence solely for that fact.

Copper Seth wrote:

We don't breed with 10 year olds and family members because that is a crime. The point of marriage isn't to knock up anything with a vagina, but one of the key points to marriage is procreation, something gays can't do.

It being a crime has nothing to do with my choice not to. Even if it was legal, I have a higher standard. Way to set the bar low. Hawkeye on the other hand...

Copper Seth wrote:

What mythology are you talking about? The bible is full of historical events that actually occured, any historian can tell you that.

Christianity is a mythology. All religions are. The fact that it references some real historical events does not mean that the mythology is in reality fact. Many fictional books cite real events, doesn't mean they aren't fiction.

Copper Seth wrote:

Sounds like you are part of the flat earth society that just won't recognize truth when confronted with it.

The irony of a Christian calling someone this. The rich history of your mythology involves a great deal of murdering of people who claimed the world was anything but flat.

Copper Seth wrote:
And where is forced child marriage and incestuous marriage in the bible, where God is saying this is how we should live our lives?

<Summons Setanta>

Copper Seth wrote:

You aren't tolerant at all. Like calling religion mythology.

It's a factual statement. I don't have to cater to your ego. Your spiritual beliefs are no higher than anyone else's. It is exactly equal with all other religions. I'm sure you'd classify classical greek and roman paganism as mythology. You are fully entitled to believe in the Christian mythology as you do.

But don't posture like there is anything unique about Christianity's claims when compared to other religions. Same big claims, same absence of fact.
Copper Seth wrote:

What a disrespectful perspn you are. If not for religious people, this country wouldn't exist, and nor would the constitution.

Don't stop there little fella. Not just this country. In fact: Total anarchy. I'm sure humans would have died off hundreds of years ago as they lived like animals in the plains.

Give me a break.

Humans are social animals and create roles and rules to promote order. The notion that we owe it all to religion is false. We do owe a lot to religion, but religion only likes to walk on stage and accept the award if it's a good one. They don't like to accept the bad things they brought to us as well.

Where we are certainly is a product of history, and religious people were a part of that. Secular people were too.

Copper Seth wrote:

This country that you act like you love so much is based on religion. The laws you follow are based on religion. (according to john adams, james madison and a few other people more important than you.)

1) I'd agree to "based on spirituality" but not "religion." We don't live in a religious orthodoxy. That was part of the goal.
2) Which laws are based on religion? What religion?
3) What of the Treaty of Tripoli?

Copper Seth wrote:

You can't call a government secular when Thomas jefferson, the athiest himself attended church in the US capital building.

What is the significance of this?
What about "no religious test?"
What is the freedom of religion if not the prohibition of any religious endorsement.

Copper Seth wrote:

Nor can you call it secular when you read our most precious documents where God is invoked in pretty much every line.

Nature is invoked too. Your god is not mentioned by name. It's not a crime to be an atheist or have secular beliefs. You have all the same rights as the religious. You may choose to follow a mythological authority, but that is a separate authority. The second you try and force your beliefs on me or anyone else as you do so unapologetically, you need to be put in check.

Copper Seth wrote:

We aren't a secular nation! We just don't force opinions on people, that's all.

You are trying to do just that. Hypocrite.
Copper Seth wrote:
Those sound like endorsements of christianity to me.

But they were just men who had the wisdom to create something bigger than themselves. They knew they were flawed people too.

They may have had their view of what the nation was about, and many of the forefathers didn't come to 100% consensus about what it was. They knew they couldn't get stuck there, so they made a living document.

You are trying to use majority rule and reckless reductionism, when nuance is needed.
Copper Seth wrote:

So our founding fathers are allowing mythology to run the country I guess. What a bunch of loons, huh? They make no sense, and obviously are dumb because they follow mythology, so why follow our laws?

That's the funny thing CS, often when Christian's were allowed to govern with their mythology is when we made some of our worst mistakes.

How many REAL witches did we actually burn again?

I don't need to belabor the point.

The problem isn't that you or any other Christian believes what they do. The problem is that you act in such insecurity of your beliefs and other's civil liberties are the collateral damage.

If you really are a resolved Christian who has real faith in what you believe, then you'll be vindicated and rewarded in heaven while my ass burns in hell. But that's not you. You aren't that confident. You're just a poser. You can't wait for validation, you need it now. You're a self righteous hypocrite.

You are asked to sacrifice nothing for this and yet you would take and take, just for the validation. Because you want to feel different than the homosexual. You want to feel better than them. You want to feel like you are special and good. You can't build a stairway to heaven, so the only way to look down on your disfavored is to turn your nose up or dig a hoe--anything for that matter to feel superior.

Your inferiority complex reeks of cowardice.
Copper Seth wrote:

You were arguing my point on the danbury baptist letters. You just read it in reverse. The powers of government are allowed to affect our actions, not our opinions. Try reading that again, and stop calling people uneducated when you can't even read correctly.

Let me put it plainly. The separation applies to opinions only, not actions. The power of government applies to actions only, not opinions. DO YOU GET IT. THEY ARE SAYING THE SAME THING!!!

You can't make a law to establish a national religion.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

Therefore you claiming that your mythology has any place in this discussion is irrelevant.

Copper Seth wrote:

Anyways, you made my point. Prop 8 isn't affecting people's opinions, that's what YOU are trying to do.

I don't care what your opinion is. If gay marriage is legal, you can still think it's sinful, gross, icky, or whatever. I don't give a damn. I give a damn about the actions banning gay men and women from having their relationship legally acknowledged.

I'm not here to police your opinion, I am here to remind you that your opinion does not justify your actions.

Copper Seth wrote:

Prop 8 is affecting actions, which Jefferson said, the government has legitimate powers to affect. It is opinions that Jefferson said is not the business of the government.

Yes Prop8 is affecting actions and opinions. If a gay couple decides to marry, and consider themselves married, the government now has legislated a way to invalidate their opinion by making marriage a legal class which they cannot enter together.
Copper Seth wrote:

Damn it you are not as smart as you think. You are so like obama. You think you are smart, but really, you aren't. You are a real elitist snob.

Sure. Whatever. Elitist. I'll wear that one. The alternative is to be an anti-intellectual sheep like you. I'll take the high road.
Copper Seth wrote:

You get bored talking to me, well, then why do you go off on these long rants?

You're right for the first time!

I'll just put you on ignore now. Idiots like you are easy to come by. I'll spread my time out with them. You're not offering anything new anyways. I've heard all the mythology hocus pocus before. I'm still waiting to hear a argument worth hearing. That, and you rarely answer the questions I pose to you, so it's a waste of my time.

Talking to others now, but not you anymore.
K
O
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 05:10 am
An Iowa district court ruled that state anti-gay marriage legislation was unconstitutional. Here's a link to the court opinion:

http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/wfData/files/Varnum/ruling.pdf

It is 63 pages long, but very well written and worth the time to read. The State appealed the decision to the Iowa Supreme Court. The oral argument is today (Tuesday, December 9) at 10:00 AM CST.

You may listen to the oral argument by clicking on the link to "Oral Argument Live Stream" here:

http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/Supreme_Court/Varnum_v_Brien/Case_Briefs_and_Trial_Court_Ruling/

BillRM

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:35 pm
@Debra Law,
That kind of nonsense is why you sadly need to write the fact that the state of married is between a man and a woman into every state constitution beyond the ability of any state court to change.

Lord how past generations including the founding fathers would look at the sick silliness that Debra and others are now pushing.

Heinlein’s crazy years is indeed happening.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 04:56 pm
@kickycan,
Mormons prefer that one man marry many women and girls, but whoa on same sex "marriage." It's the "sacred" thing to do.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 05:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
it makes sense, the Bible condones polygamy but not homosexuality. The Mormons get points for staying consistent with the Bible. Child brides have a long and rich history in the West, so the mormons are consistent with tradition on that....though you know that only the splinter group now agrees with this tradition, the LDS does not.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 05:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Mormons prefer that one man marry many women and girls, but whoa on same sex "marriage." It's the "sacred" thing to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Having such marriages make far more sense then the silliness of gay married as you are still dealing with a unit that can and would produce children.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 06:51 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM, There are many heterosexual marriages that do not produce children - by choice.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
there are zero homosexual unions that produce children....maybe the potential of children is the point.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 09:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
BillRM, There are many heterosexual marriages that do not produce children - by choice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
True but so what?
Not one gay couple in the history of the human race had produce one child by way of their relationship and that is the point.

Not all cars run but that does not mean that we should then license objects that are not cars and can not used the public roads systems as cars such as rowboats for example.