The Lion King

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 08:27 pm
We just bought tickets yesterday to go see The Lion King at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco next year in February. It was the first day for ticket sales, and it was a mad house! At the ticket office at the theater, the line was several blocks long before it opened at 9 AM. I purchased our tickets over the internet. My wife wanted to go on a Sunday, but they were almost all sold out, and I didn't want to sit too far from the stage, so we finally settled for a Thursday evening performance. We're sitting in the last row on the orchestra, and hope we're not too far from the stage. Since I hate driving at night, we're staying overnight in the city on the day of the performance. Anybody out there see The Lion King yet? Would like to hear your opinion. I know it was playing in Toronto last month.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,680 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 02:21 am
Wow, last time I was at the Orpheum was to see A Chorus Line about 20 years ago. Do be careful in that neighborhood, c.i. Take a taxi to and from your hotel/theater. Don't take a chance

Didn't the Orpheum sustain some damage in the '89 quake? Was it that theater that had the falling chandelier or was it one of the others? I can't remember.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 09:27 am
Butrfly, The falling chandelier was part of Phantom. Smile I saw Phantom in Washington DC, where I treated my sister and niece, then bought two tickets for my wife which she shared with her sister which they saw at the Orpheum. When our son came home with his 'new' bride, I treated them to Phantom. We're staying at a boutique hotel two blocks from the Orpheum when we go. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:01 pm
Nah, one of the theaters in SF sustained damage during the Loma Preita earthquake in '89. A chandelier fell and folks were relieved that it happened so earlier in the evening rather then when the seats were all full. Not sure which theater it was. I'll see if I can find the info later.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:21 pm
What a coincidence! Wink
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:38 pm
c.i., I know the actor who was playing Adult Simba in the touring company when it came thru here last year. I didn't know he was in it, or I would have bought a ticket! He didn't have access to tickets either, so we had to settle for drinks after the show.

I've heard that it's a wonderful spectacle - I'm sure that you and your wife will enjoy the show.
0 Replies