arts & crafts question

chai2

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:00 pm
I have a really cool idea for holiday decorations, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make one part of it work.

Basically, I'm printing out pictures from clip art, each picture around 4 inches, so several per sheet of paper.

I then laminated a test page, and my intent was to cut the figures out in squares.

Duh...when you cut the page, the plastic opens, so the paper in there can get wet, fall out, etc.

It won't work to print one image per page, because the page would be way to big.

I experimented with putting tape around the open sides, but that looks really crappy, and would probably end up leaking in the outside weather.

I'm sure there's a simple solution. What can I do to make little weather proof pieces of paper?

Oh, I'll be poking small holes in the pieces for pieces of wire.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,733 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:08 pm
@chai2,
You can buy different sizes of that laminate stuff. A quick alternative is to buy packing tape and tape both sides of the photos.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:18 pm
@Mame,
You can get a self-adhesive clear film at art and craft stores. Apply it to both sides of your printout. and cut away the surplus with a scissors or an Xacto knife.
Mame

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yeah, and I think you can also buy some spray that is waterproof.

Chai, what's your 'cool idea'?
chai2

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 05:15 pm
@Mame,
man, as soon as I posted this, I realized what I could do.

I just have to cut out the figures before I lay them out on the laminating sheet. when I close the other sheet over them, they'll stay in place while I run it through the heating machine.

what's my cool idea?

you'll see......
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:01 pm
@chai2,
If you happen to have one of those seal a meal contraptions, you can use it to seal the cut edges. I do that all the time with plastic bags of stuff.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:46 am
@chai2,
If you have an ink jet printer you can place clear wide packing tape on top of the picture and then soak it in water within about three to five minutes some of the paper will rub off leaving the image.

Or if you have an ink jet printer you can use mineral spirts to transfer one image to another stronger piece of paper or wood. With this method you put the transfer the print. by place the picture over the transfer use a brush to stroke on some of the mineral spirits and then run over it with a spoon to get an even copy.

A big help in the process is to get the kind of paper professional house painters use to tape down inside houses while they paint and cover it with white gesso. You can get it at any home depot just go to the paint department they will know what you want.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:48 am
@TilleyWink,
uh....my idea will work, and doesn't require any more work.
TilleyWink

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 01:06 pm
@chai2,
Sure it will chiai2 in fact after typing all that out I considered not posting but then I just thought well maybe someone could use those techniques sometime. They also sound more complex and weird than they really are. Your idea is a good one and I meant no harm just suffer from too much stuff in the brain sometimes.
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:31 pm
@TilleyWink,
just suffer from too much stuff in the brain sometimes.

I know the feeling.... Wink

oh hey, notice my impersonation of Sarah Palin? Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink .... Neutral
TilleyWink

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:22 pm
@chai2,
Very excellant chai2
0 Replies