Nick Burns, former #3 at Bush State Department, US Should Talk to Its Enemies

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:29 pm
October 29, 2008
Nick Burns: US Should Talk to Its Enemies
Posted by Warren Strobel, McClatchy Blog

It's not quite an endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama, but it's pretty close. On Newsweek's Web site, and blogged earlier by Laura Rozen over at War And Piece, R. Nicholas Burns, formerly the State Department's No. 3 official, comes down firmly in favor of the United States talking to its enemies, including Iran.

Burns, it should be noted, has long been a close friend and ally of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and was the Bush administration's point man on Iran for most of President Bush's second term.

He writes: Talking to our adversaries is no one's idea of fun, and it is not a sure prescription for success in every crisis. But it is crude, simplistic and wrong to charge that negotiations reflect weakness or appeasement. More often than not, they are evidence of a strong and self-confident country.

Burns does not go as far as Obama, who during the Democratic primary campaign last year told a questioner he'd be willing to meet leaders like Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Venezuela's Hugo Chavez "without preconditions."

Burns continues: I'm not saying the next president should sit down immediately with Ahmadinejad. We should initiate contact at a lower level to investigate whether it's worth putting the president's prestige on the line. We should leave the threat of military action on the table to give us greater leverage as we talk to the Iranian government.

Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain has ridiculed the idea of negotiating with Ahmadinejad, who has threatened to destroy Israel, over its nuclear weapons program or other issues.

Still, the former senior diplomat says the GOP attacks are misplaced: I lived this issue for 27 years as a career diplomat, serving both Republican and Democratic administrations. Maybe that's why I've been struggling to find the real wisdom and logic in this Republican assault against Obama.

In largely refusing to deal with Iran, the United States is only isolating itself, he says: To illustrate how far we have isolated ourselves, think about this: I served as the Bush administration's point person on Iran for three years but was never permitted to meet an Iranian.

Burns succesor, William Burns (no relation), was finally allowed to sit in on a meeting with the Iranians this past summer.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 717 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:38 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My SIL was a former #3 at one of Bush's cabinet positions. She had about as much influence as a fly on the wall.
Woiyo9

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:27 am
@cjhsa,
That is why he is a FORMER member!
0 Replies

nydia2013

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 09:27 am
I, personally, believe one should talk to one's perceived enemies; if we fail to talk how will we ever get to the bottom of the problem, to possibly resolve same. One big fist will only get you a big fist in return and we will never stop the conflict. Hey, what's so wrong with talking first? Why the mad, mad rush to sprint into war?!
0 Replies