choosing the best job

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:18 pm
A true story

You wanna change jobs, cos the one you have sucks.
You test the water to see what's out there. Job ads, phone calls to people you know, agencys and stuff.

I did this once & got offered 3 jobs in as many days, to go with the one I already had. I turned 'em all down & made another hit & did rather well.
More money and quick promotion.

What are your criteria for accepting a new job ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,134 • Replies: 4
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:31 pm
I've started looking around... had a good interview almost two weeks ago, but haven't heard back. I think I'm probably too expensive for them, but being well employed and well recompensed make this the perfect time for me to be looking... negotiate from a position of strength.

Bucks are important, but mega-bucks are not. I'd prefer a commute I can do on foot, but time in car is private, so I don't mind my current half hour...

But my chosen field is pretty narrow and sparsely populated. The company I'm in will need my services for some time because they do not have any others that do what I do, and they need someone to do it.

Being not desparate, my criteria are that it has to (at this point) seem like a place I can stay in untill I retire, 20 years from now.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 05:53 pm
Somehow, John Oak. I managed to hold down three jobs at one time. Glad I didn't quit my day job, however. The music business paid well, but was sporadic. What are my criteria for accepting a new job? Well, my friend, I really feel lucky in the respect that I could retire early. I knew when I was just a wee bairn that I simply did not have the personality to compete in the fierce world of performing arts. Somehow, I managed to maintain a decent life style with creature comforts. Loved what I did when I did it. I have no regrets.
0 Replies

Rose

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:09 pm
Oh, I would take a GOOD paying job in a heartbeat.
But, I can't rake asphalt, nor drive a big truck.

Smile
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:40 pm
Got an e-mail from a job agency that had seen my resume on Monster... Called 'em up.

It was the same job I'd interviewed for! (See above.)

This is actually the second time this has happened to me: I was turned down at the place I'm working now, so they put it out for the temp agencies. I got the temp position and was made perm a few months thereafter...
0 Replies